Jax is settling in

JoeLacy

I'm seeing signs everyday now. Each day brings a little more bounce in his step and little less tail curl. He's "pretty" sure of me now as well as what he can expect in Peyton and I even see a little more snap with his commands. He's not 100% yet but at this rate, it won't be too long at all. He's making much better eye contact now.

He's eating well, putting on weight he really needed. Housebreaking is going well. No really bad behaviors have surfaced yet. He did bark at someone who walked too close to the car, but other than that, still no issues.

At the dog park he does fine and just minds his own business. If a dog get's too pushy with him, Jax does not back up and he will defend himself. He's a sweet easy going boy 99% of the time. That 1% though I would not want to be on that business end.

He goes off and plays with Peyton in the house now, but still comes back and checks-in with me. I think he's starting the believe, I'm not going anywhere and neither is he.

Life is good at the Lacy household.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I think that's just awesome. Bet the memory of what it was like before he came is getting hard to remember. I love that turning point, when you can see their trust bloom and the old fears fade away.

JoeLacy

Jax is still just a puppy and the longer I have him the more of that I see. It was hard to tell before when he was just so reserved.

He does not have the seasoned, polished poise of Peyton, instead, acts just like a kid and subject to act like a puppy more than an adult dog. Jax is going to be a serious dog one day and for now, I'm just enjoying seeing his puppy behavior come out.

I have to stop and pinch myself sometimes. I have an Aussie and a BC living with me. I really do have two truly magnificent dogs with few behavior issues. I'm a very lucky guy.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
He might stay a kid at heart all his life too. I have had a dog like that in the past.
Now all you guys need is an adventure.:D

JoeLacy

I think the next thing we're going to do is Instinct Herding. Neither of them will ever see a sheep again except on TV, but it might be a fun adventure for them. I'm curious as to what will happen. :)

I've been thinking more about agility/flyball now for Jax, but he needs Rally first. Peyton would be a super rally dog if she didn't want to go play with other dogs. That dog obsessiveness continues to hold her back.

I bought the book control unleashed and tried some of the methods there, it hasn't worked for her yet. It's Peytons weak spot and nothing else. Peyton would actually be a better dog than Jax if it wasn't for that and Jax is a really great dog.

Hopefully, I can make the future bright for both of them because they certainly brighten my day.

JoeLacy

Oh, BTW, I'm going to pass on Delta and TDI. That "other" level of basic training can be had in Rally. I was thinking about rally classes for Jax but then thought, I can train that I think. I'm going soon just to watch some Rally classes, we'll see.

Jynx

I think you'll like Rally,,its more laid back that obedience, but has obedience thrown in,,you can talk, treat the dog ...ya never know 'what' your routine will be so it's always something different..

I'm so happy Jax has worked out,,I LOVE happy endings! (tho it's still the beginning for Jax!)...Has he met your son's malinois yet?? How'd they get along??

JoeLacy

He has not met Westin yet, given they both are not into other dogs, it should be fine. Jax is fixed, Wes is not. (yeah I know.) But having a BC and a Mal in a fight would not be pretty :)

I'm going to a rally class tomorrow night to check it out. All the kids will stay home. :)

Jynx

ahh no it wouldn't be pretty:((

Have fun watching rally,,I think you'll like it and jax may to:))

JoeLacy

Jax and Peyt have to stay home tonight. I want to spend some time with the trainer. The person who invited me and I will be speaking with has this as her signature line.

TDI Certified Evaluator #628
CGC Registered Evaluator #875
AKC Canine Ambassador
Belgian Beacon Performance Editor

"Echo" Groenendael
UCD Black Gold Necco CD, ASCA-CD CGC RE FMD TDIA
AATD AKC-HIC AHBA-HCT WD-SS WD-WTXX TT

Member of Texas Kennel Club
DTCDC Public Relations Spokesperson
DTCDC Training Director 2001-2003
DTCDC Obedience Instructor since 1993

Something tells me she probably knows something about dogs I don't. :) This person appears to be well plugged in to the dog scene in Texas and seems to know everybody who is anybody in the biz. Nice lady too, it's tonight at 6:45.

Members online