Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-02-2009, 11:27 AM
Top Dog

Default Has Anyone Heard of This?

My boys never cease to amaze me. Around 2 this morning, Neon wakes me up by jumping on top of me and pawing at my chest. He is whimpering and carrying on, so I assumed there was a potty emergency and got dressed. Neon races by me, still crying, and throws himself into the Papasan chair, which is where Argon usually sleeps.
Argon was asleep, so I moved Neon. As I am clipping Neons leash on I hear a strange noise from Argon. I look over, and he is having a seizure. He had been fine a few seconds before.
I know dogs can be trained to alert to seizures in humans, but has anyone heard of a dog who alerted to another dogs seizures? This is the first one Argon has had since Neon moved in.

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:38 AM
Top Dog

What a good boy Neon. I haven't heard anything specifically, but it's probably not a rare thing when something is disturbing a dog....one member of the family...to alert others to it in some fashion. Sometimes I don't think people recognise some of the ways dogs try to tell us things. But in Neon's case, he communicated in a very clear way to you. It's kind of like animals that alert their owners to fires. And maybe some dogs don't alert to something like another dog having a seizure because they may not be too worried about it. But that was very cool how he told you.

Is Argon okay? What caused the seizure? I hope he'll be all right.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-02-2009, 11:38 AM
Top Dog

what a good dog. give him an extra big hug & treat.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:41 AM
<--------Orson

That is awesome and I hope it turns out to be something he does every time! GOOD BOY NEON!

Is Argon ok?
Old 11-02-2009, 11:44 AM
tessa_s212

cocoa has seizures. SHE always knows when she is going to have one, and will try to get somewhere away from the other dogs/corner, darker space, or by me. I remember the third seizure she ever had, she came walking up kind of wobbly to me, tried to jump up on the couch to get to me, and fell back down and starting to have one.

I haven't noticed that the other dogs know when she's going to have one though.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:07 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

I had a dog years ago that had seizures and one of the younger dogs would start to cling to him at least 30 minutes prior to the seizure, then sit and 'mother' him until the seizure had passed. I imagine most would alert at the time of the seizure, but it interests me when they can sense it before we can see it.

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Old 11-02-2009, 12:29 PM
Top Dog

When IB had seizures due to a brain tumor it upset Bubba so .....

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 11-02-2009, 01:00 PM
Top Dog

how interesting. I don't see why they wouldn't be able to tell if other animals were about to have seizures. Dogs are incredibly smart and this just proved that they can sense if other dogs/humans will have a seizure. I find this amazing. What a great dog you have!
Old 11-02-2009, 05:18 PM
Top Dog

Never heard about it before but I am not surprised by it either. We usually can tell something is wrong with someone by looking at them such as when they are sick.

Then there are other humans who can tell when someone is pregnant and tells that person before they even know they are. Then they predict the date of birth and the person has the baby the same date the person told them they would. Then you have people who know when someone they are close to is going to die and predict the date. That person does not tell that person they are going to die but they tell others in their family. Then the person dies the same day the person predicted it. Then the same person who predicted the death of the other person is one day helping a friend getting his mother out of a wheel chair and into bed and that person had a thought that the mother of the friend would die within 2 weeks and the mother died within 2 weeks.

So I think dogs can know when something is going to happen to another dog. Hope the dog that had the seizure is ok.

Can someone please kill this flea before it jumps on Lola
Old 11-03-2009, 09:26 AM
Top Dog

Thanks for the replies! Argon is fine, he has epilepsy, but his seizures are not frequent or severe enough to require medication. Maybe one mild one every few months.
Neon is such a neat little dog, and I wish so hard that I could keep him forever. Hopefully his new home will appreciate him as much as I do!

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.