Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-02-2009, 07:41 AM
<--------Orson

It's hard, but I have to agree with others who've said if you parents don't want another dog, it's best to wait until you've finished college and get your own

It's a big responsibility, you can't blame them if they don't want to take it on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber View Post
..Which is why I plan on marrying someone as addicted to/more addicted to dogs than me. lol
It can get out of control very easy if there isn't ONE of you to put on the brakes! hahahahaha

My husband is the main "brakes" person in this house! I could TOTALLY see us with about 4-5 dogs if he didn't stop me!
Old 11-02-2009, 07:57 AM
Top Dog

I think most of us have felt what you feel at one or more times during our life. I know I have many times. When I first got married, it was the first time I had not had a dog in my life and it was sheer torture. I neeeeeeeded a dog but had to wait a while. So, being completely dogless was awful. I mean, the craving was intense. Finally we got a GSD puppy, then later on, a Lab. When I was a kid, we had two dogs and some strays happened along now and then....one Doberman mix puppy, I think and the Chihuahua, believe it or not. I wanted them soooooo badly. My Mom and Dad said, "No way." They were so cute and well behaved. I got to bring them in my room for a while, but then had to do something with them. (Don't remember what now) Funny that those are two breeds I wound up with way later on in my life. I had to wait for my heart breed, my Doberman through two dogs and a divorce.... because hubby didn't want a Doberman. I mean, I didn't get divorced because hubby didn't want a Doberman, but since I was divorced, I got to call the shots for myself. LOL>

Anyhow...I know the feeling of having to wait. But at least you have Suzie. And yeah...when you go away to college, it would be hard for you to take care of her. That's quite a number of years away from her if your parents care for her.

I have puppyitis frequently, even now. And I have 3 dogs living here. I know that it is not the practical or smart thing to do right now....to take on another dog. I don't even want the responsibility of more dogs. They're costly, especially if they need a lot of veterinary care, which some do. It's harder to travel. It's just more work. (but I still get puppyitis.lol) I have to say, I don't blame your folks too much.

Just hang in there and just the right time and dog will come along for you. You're still young and have a bunch of time for more dogs.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-02-2009, 08:34 AM
Top Dog

Having two dogs is great, but it's usually is twice the Vet bills, twice the grooming, tice the food and other care. Most things though, like feeding and walking only take a few seconds more for two dogs over one.

I have to agree with everyone here. Maybe not the best time in your life right now. How about getting even closer with the one dog you have?
Old 11-02-2009, 02:56 PM
Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One

Ohhhh, I found the most beautifulest dog EVER!

Adopt a Pet :: Ally - Orlando, FL - Australian Shepherd

She is gorgeous, but not the right dog for us I don't think. We already have a really laid back calm dog.

I honestly don't think I could get any closer to my girl. She sleeps on the couch, and won't get up until I get up, and she knows when I do. If I am in the bathroom, she will come and lie outside the door. She looks up at me to see if she is doing the right thing. And she follows me from room to room, no matter what I am doing or where I am going.

Well, I guess I should of said once I am done with Highschool and college. I just turned 15, so it will be a while. I think that they would love another dog, I guess I need to quiz him as to why they don't want another dog.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:11 PM
Top Dog

I would love to have more than one dog ( for Ollie's sake ) but it's just not in the cards for me . I think that he would even love a cat buddy , but the only cats I've had in the past were indoor/outdoor and that wouldn't work here . I started life with 1 dog .... went to 5 and ending up with 1 . My advise to older teenages with college ahead , is to wait ! It's hard to leave them !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 11-02-2009, 03:22 PM
BusterLove

Remembering college is right aswell.
I wouldn't mind pursuing uni but its probably not possible whie I'm this young with Buster, I don't know where I would find anywhere to keep him and its too hard to leave him at home.
It also makes travelling more difficult, I'd still be in the NT floating around trying to find a house if I didn't have him but I had to move in with my dad on the other side of the country because otherwise he had nowhere to go.
My mums also never been overseas because when all her friends were going and seeing the world after highschool she had been kicked out of home with her dog and her cat and couldn't just pack up and leave them for 6 months.
its worth thinking about, I adore Buster and I wouldn't change anything, I love that my life revolves around him but it can be a bit limiting.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:25 PM
Top Dog

I too would love a second dog. But I can't have one now, and I agree with your parents that you probabyl shouldn't get one at the moment either.

I am in no pets housing and have my one dog allowed; it would be unreasonable to get another dog, unless it was an SD, but even at that I feel my small studio apartment is too small for 2 medium/large dogs. I'd have to move either way. I'm in my lease until August, so that's the absolute earliest I could get a dog. That said, I am holding out for either an SD or an SD prospect. If I decide to go with a puppy/young adult to train myself, it would make sense to wait until after my first 3 week session at my new school next year, so that I don't have to worry about school and work and training a dog, because training the dog IS my school lol.

There's nothing that says you have to wait until you finish college unless you plan on livng on campus the whole time. I lived on campus for 2 years, but I got my dog as soon as I found out I could move into an off-campus apartment last year.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:31 PM
Water Junkie

I'm 16. I got my second dog when I was 15.

Generally, I would agree with everyone else in the 'wait till after college' boat. But, I wanted a dog I could do something with (sheepdog trials, agility, dock diving). And, honestly, Blaze has been the best decision I've ever made.

But, I would NEVER have gotten a second dog if my parents weren't TOTALLY on board with the decision. They knew from the beginning that if I decided to go to a college where dogs weren't allowed, that he was welcome to stay home while I was away. For me personally, I don't plan on that happening. Since I don't know exactly where I'm going to college, my choices are open to fit my dog-housing requirements.

If you aren't set on having a dog through college, I wouldn't consider the idea of getting a second dog. Even if the dog didn't come to college with you, I think you atleast need to want that - If that makes sense.

Some would probably say it wasn't a good idea to get a second dog when I was going off to college in 3 years, but Blaze has opened up so many doors in the 'dog world' for me, helped me start to realize what I really want to do with the rest of my life, and is one of my best friends. I wouldn't trade him for the world.

If you aren't dead set on having a dog for something other than a companion, honestly, I wouldn't get another dog.

Why do you want another dog? What do you want this dog to be able to do that Suzie can't?

Above all else, do NOT get another dog if your parents aren't on board totally - through puppy breath and $1000 vet bills.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 11-02-2009, 04:45 PM
Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One

You know what? I think you guys are right. I was all pouty and sulky because I wanted another dog. But as I read your posts, I realized we don't need one. This dog would NOt be MY dog. It would be the families, because Suzie is MINE. But now, I am going to volunteer at a place called Journeys end, where they take in abused or abandoned dogs. I can't work at a shelter, I'm too young.

I don't want a dog to do different things then Suzie, I want one for her and my family. She can get pretty bored when we are gone, though that isn't all that often, and the cat just isn't enough.

Here is the link to Journeys End, from what I see, it seems pretty cool. Once they are there, they are called resident dogs, and they don't often rehome dogs.

Journey's End Animal Sanctuary - Home Page
Old 11-02-2009, 06:33 PM
treehugging clicker freak

I second the fostering idea It helps curve the craving, and it helps the dogs majorly!!!

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o