Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-31-2009, 11:11 AM
swimming upstream

I think lack of exercise for a dog that is USED to having regular exercise can cause an exaggerated response--I know Wilson requires much more activity than Baxter does. If I do not get Wilson out for a good romp, his reaction to all stimulation is exaggerated.
So if this dog is used a regular amount of exercise and then doesn't get it, plus he has no mental stimulation (no one in the house with him during the day)-I think that could create trouble. JMO>
Old 10-31-2009, 11:47 AM
Top Dog

It's neurobiology. When we get very stressed out, we're told by the medical profession to increase exercise. Being in a chronic state of stress, due to the build up of adrenelin and other stress hormones is not healthy. It needs to be burned off or that stress tends to stay with us longer. Sometimes when we're stressed or uptight, we cry or get loud. Sometimes we have short tempers and lash out at others. Dogs have hardwired behaviors that have been genetically implanted for a very long time. Some of the behaviors that are manifested are tied to survival mechanisms.

Some dogs, especially some of the working breeds have a higher level of intensity due to their "job." Their emotional resonses, which are regulated by the pituitary may vary from another dog.

Of course, better socialization and training is bound to have an influence on the dog's behavior. But not all dogs are as laid back, tolerant, non-reactive as other dogs. They are still individuals and not everything can be explained away by training or the human-dog bond. They're still animals with their own set of genetics that have been passed on and which relate to survival. (Otherwise, they wouldn't have been passed on.) LOL.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-31-2009, 12:32 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter'smybaby View Post
I think lack of exercise for a dog that is USED to having regular exercise can cause an exaggerated response--I know Wilson requires much more activity than Baxter does. If I do not get Wilson out for a good romp, his reaction to all stimulation is exaggerated.
So if this dog is used a regular amount of exercise and then doesn't get it, plus he has no mental stimulation (no one in the house with him during the day)-I think that could create trouble. JMO>
Torn up sofas curtains, blinds, chairs, carpets, bathrooms, or mine fields outside.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 10-31-2009, 02:03 PM
swimming upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkie View Post
Torn up sofas curtains, blinds, chairs, carpets, bathrooms, or mine fields outside.
I dont' understand?
Old 10-31-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter'smybaby View Post
Trouble =
Quote:
Originally Posted by smkie View Post
Old 10-31-2009, 09:45 PM
Active Pup

I think it was properly the tension on the leash applied at that moment that caused the response. Sometimes dogs will show more aggression when they feel like that can't escape something that they are fearful of.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:55 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Cider actively seeks trouble if I lack time for her. She chills free in the house with my family 99% of the time these days... I got hired for a new job and I've been working more. Less active time for her even though she loves being a lazy bum.

Today was my first day off in a week.. She's gotten walks around the neighbourhood, but not her usual level of activity. She gave me the hint today she was understimulated by going through the bathroom garbage and shredding a bunch of used sanitary products.. eww.

Took both to the park and she had a major zoomie burst. Need to find a little more time in my day for her I think.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 11-08-2009, 11:50 PM
Top Dog

Do you ask the owner if his dog is dog aggressive (DA)?

Lack of exercise and mental stimulation can definitely result in one tightly wound up dog. But dog aggression is not uncommon and honestly, if you were to have done that with any of my dogs even when they were tired and well stimulated and exercised, they would've jumped on your dog anyway.

Dog aggression is not a big deal to me as it's easily dealt with. Just don't try to make the 2 dogs play together anymore.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:32 AM
Puppy Dog

I strongly believe that the lack of proper exercise can cause aggressive tendencies in a dog. All that bundled up energy and stress can manifest itself into frustration and aggression. I'm not saying that this HAS to be the only reason or THE reason, but a dog who doesn't get an outlet for its energy and doesn't get its physical activity requirements met suffers physically AND mentally. Aggression or increased aggression tendencies can be one of the side-effects. Perhaps the dog already has some socialization issues and already has aggressive traits. Lack of exercise, resulting in a bored, stressed, and tightly-wound dog can bring these out further.