Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-05-2005, 07:37 PM
Show Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight
No they should be left as nature intended
WITH A TAIL!!!

Thankfully Cropping is Illegal in this county, I ABSOLUTELY HATE cropping, it is just soooooooooooo un nessesary!!!

and so is docking, I do not, and will not agree with Docking or Cropping,

Boxers tails are just exactly the same as dalmations, so why dont they just leave them alone like dalmations?

I just wish my boxer still had his tail!!

doesnt make me love him any less though

You're from Liverpool? Cool. I'm from the Wirral.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:33 PM
Top Dog

You guys have to remember a lot of people do it so the dog won't get hurt:

Dobes and guard dogs: Bred for gaurding, the doberman would get the ears docked and tail cropped so people wouldn't be able to pull it's ears or tails

Boxer and other working breeds: I believe it's because they get distracted by their tails

Vizslas and other hunting dogs: (I just learned this, I thought Vizslas didn't get cropped) because whenever hunting dogs go through woods the tail won't get all scratched up.

I also hear docking ears increase airflow, too. If someone decides to do something like this for their dog, I'd say go for it. Even if it is for looks, do you think the dog cares? I heard this takes away communication of something. I have met cropped boxers b4, I knew when they were excited, scared, or alert by the tail stub...
Old 09-05-2005, 08:35 PM
Boxer Rescue

yes I see the point when it comes to Working dogs

BUT these are pets, why do the breeders have to crop and dock boxers when they are pets?
they are not working dogs

Last edited by Twilight; 09-05-2005 at 08:55 PM.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:36 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer*Mom
But also in some countries it is becoming an illegal operation. Personally I think it should be up to the owner of the dog
I agree with you 100 percent
Old 09-05-2005, 08:40 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight
yes I see the pint when it comes to Working dogs

BUT these are pets, why do the breeders have to crop and dock boxers when they are pets?
they are not working dogs
When I got my dog, my breeder bred the Vizslas as pets and hunting dogs. She cropped the tails on all of the dogs, I wasn't looking for a hunting dog, just a companion. But when she gave the dog to me, Coop already had part of his tail missing. Maybe they were in the same situation as I was in, personally tho, I don't give a hoot.

Or maybe they like the look of the dog when they are cropped and docked. I don't know, I think I like the tail on the boxer. But just because I do, why is it that everyone else is forced to not crop.
Old 09-05-2005, 08:44 PM
Snow Girl

I thought of another thing, (sry if this has already been mentioned) some breeds like cane corsos have super thick and floppy ears which have a knack of getting infections despite thoroughly cleaning often, and if not cleaned at all they can get really nasty infections. By cropping the ears, air can get in there and it won't be mpoist so bacteria can't grow as well

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 09-05-2005, 08:46 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc_spirit
I thought of another thing, (sry if this has already been mentioned) some breeds like cane corsos have super thick and floppy ears which have a knack of getting infections despite thoroughly cleaning often, and if not cleaned at all they can get really nasty infections. By cropping the ears, air can get in there and it won't be mpoist so bacteria can't grow as well
I said it increased airflow, you went into more detail about it, thanks
Old 09-06-2005, 01:02 PM
Big Dog

My issues on docking and cropping.

If cropping is for sanitary reasons, why do cocker spaniels, or springer spaniels have uncropped ears when they are very prone to ear infections and problems. Or even breeds like bassets, bloodhounds, and coonhounds, with their big hanging ears. If cropping is alternately for guardian breeds, why do they crop ears so that they are actually easier to grab. Ears that stick up are much easier to grab than ears that are close to a dog's head.

If docking is for health/safety reasons, why is it only certain breeds. Border Collies keep their tails, but Aussies are docked, yet they are breeds used for very similar functions, with similar tails. I had an Aussie with a full tail, and as long as it was brushed out we had no problems whatsoever. Setters kept their tails while some spaniels are docked, yet they have about the same amount of fur. The pics I've seen of undocked spaniels don't look any worse than a rough border collies tail. or what about greyhounds. They get tail injuries all the time due to the thiness and very thin skin.

I met a doberman with both ears and tail still attached, and the dog had no health problems from it. The tail was actually fairly think, not whip thin like a greyhound. Ears were comparable to a lab short and triangular.

I love asussies and spaniels, but am probably not going to buy one from a breeder due to the tail docking. I think the lack of a tail definitely puts them at a disadvantage when communicating with other dogs, and I don't like having pieces that are not causing a distinct problem removed. (Yes I know that some aussies are natural bobtails)

--Mia
Old 09-06-2005, 01:35 PM
Puppy Dog

I just can't imagine my little Corgi with a tail ... Kairi would just look, wierd!