Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-26-2009, 09:47 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Default Dog bites/scars?

Have you ever been bit by a dog? What happened/ How serious (stiches, deep, bad bruising, etc)? About how long did it take to heal? And do your old scars still randomly hurt? Or when did it stop hurting?

Thanks!

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 10-26-2009, 10:00 PM
Top Dog

yes, several times. don't stitch dog bites more likely to go septic. about a week. and yes.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:29 PM
I'm All Ears

I don't have any terrible dog bites but I do have a line of teeth marks on the back of my right hand that perfectly outline a sheltie jaw. I have a non related dog injury though on my hand that hurts all the time. The worst is when I accidentally hit it on something, it'll shoot a really severe pain up my arm and will cause my hand to spasm.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:17 PM
The Littlest Hound

I was walking a pit bull down the aisle of dog cages at the shelter to put him out in the yard to visit with a lady and her baby... we made it ALLLL the way to the end and in the last kennel were the two craziest (totally undersocialized) Rotts I've ever met (all pack mentality - once we had room to seperate them, the one was an angel...)... my left leg went forward as my right arm went forward to push the door open, JUST as Tank went across from my left towards the kennel on the right, and he got my kneecap... it felt like my knee was in a vice grip, and it only lasted .5 seconds! As soon as Tank realized he had my knee, not the Rotts' faces, he let go and was all sad when I took him out in the yard. Never held a grudge, he was a WONDERFUL dog... that being said, it didn't really break the skin (I think it rubbing against my jeans was what made it eventually start bleeding?) but I've STILL got some darker pigmentation where his teeth connected, and it was about a year ago!

Worst injuries I've had have actually been from dogs coming into the vet to get their nails trimmed and scratching me Novel over...

The Plotts:
UKC GRCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Liz
CH CCH CA 'PR' Jebb's Bayou Rage OFA Hips: Good

And the "off-colored" hounds:
Daisy Duke Garrett CGC, RA & my <3 dog (basset)

Very Missed:
UKC GRCH CCH 'PR' Skyplott Teddy Bearhug
UKC CH CCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Irresistible You
'PR' Dead River K-N-A Swagger - the BAD puppy!
(and Autumn, the feist.)
Old 10-26-2009, 11:35 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Moo 2x my hands. Mid dog fight stupidly putting my hands in to break it up he lashed out in blind panic. Right hand was bitten on both occasions, multiple canine punctures. Deepest one mid palm sometimes randomly hurts and it's been 6+ months since the 2nd time. Year+ since the first.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 10-27-2009, 12:15 AM
Taxiderpy

The only dog bite that broke my skin was when we were fostering Tengu. I was slicing some beef cheeks and she crept up behind me and bit my hand real hard. It was covered in cow blood, I'm pretty sure she thought it was a hunk of meat because she was mortified when she realized she had bitten me.

Because of the animal blood and it being a puncture, I soaked it in really hot epsom salt water several times a day for the next week. It healed up nicely with no problems at all.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:18 AM
Resident fainting goat

I had a rottweiler bite me on the back of the thigh at the shelter. many stitches.. deep wounds

he grabbed a hold and shook his head and some smarty tried pulling him off by pulling on the dogs back legs.. causing him to bite down harder and shake his head around...

it was awful. I still have a scar.. it kind of looks like in the shake you would expect a shark bite to look like lol like an ovalish thing

The scar never hurts at all unless I think about when it happens, but I think thats a mental thing
Old 10-27-2009, 01:10 AM
Top Dog

I was bit once when I was a little kid when I was playing in the dog food. Total accident, she thought my toe was food lol. No stitches, healed quickly, minimal pain. I do have a teeny tiny scar still.

Then a few years back shortly after I started working at the vet clinic I got bit when I went to go weigh a dog. I turned the scale on, turned around, and SNAP. But my lip through and tore it about 2 inches. I didn't even know she actually bit me until I saw blood drip on the floor - I thought she just rammed her head into me. Of course Doc made me go to the ER, and it took 40+ stitches in the inside of my lip, my gums, and the outside of my lip. Never hurt even a bit, was just numb forever. Took 5 days to get the stitches out. Healed wonderfully. I do have a scar, but it's a small one. I can feel it more on the inside of my lip, because there's a mass of scar tissue within the lip, but you can't see more than a thin line on the outside.

I also was bit by a cat in my index and middle fingers and I have scars there, but it's not very noticeable. No stitches for that one, didn't even go to the doctor, but I did use some old antibiotics I had left (I know you're not supposed to have leftover antibiotics, but I did lol).

None of my scars ever hurt.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:54 AM
overdogged

not that required medical treatment.

but i had a cat bite get very ugly- my whole forearm was red, hot, and swollen and i had started antibiotics almost right away.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 10-27-2009, 06:41 AM
Puppy Dog

Bit by a springer in groom school over a tiny knot, bit by a pug over eye drops, bit by a beagle over nails on my palm. That one lasted, very achy for a while. Bit by a cat over HV. dryer.
Cat bite = springer, pug, beagle put together.