Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 10-26-2009, 01:57 PM
<----Thanks Allie

Question Questions about C-Sections in Dogs....

Are C-Sections always emergency? I know there are certain breeds that often need them do to their heads being huge or whatever... but I mean as a general.

If a dog needs an emergecy C-Section, is that dog always spayed afterwards?

If the dog is not spayed afterwards, what is the general rule for having puppies again? How long of a wait would be recommended?
Old 10-26-2009, 02:16 PM
Just try me..

Dekka needed an emerg c section. I had the option of spaying or not. I chose too as it was my plan anyway. And seeing how horribly she dealt with labour I wouldn't have put her through that again anyway. (figured might as well do the spay whilst she was under)

I dont' know about wait. I would think 6 months would be a reasonable healing period, though perhaps having a heat could be 'cleansing'.. no idea really.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:18 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

No, they aren't always emergencies. In some breeds are just automatically c-sectioned. Bulldogs come to mind as the most common. Now, if my collies needed a c-section, this would be unexpected and an emergency.

No, an emergency c-section doesn't always require a spay unless there is damage to the uterus, a severe infection where it is felt that it would be safer for the bitch, or sometimes just owner/breeder choice (if she doesn't free whelp, she could have problems the next time and to some this is unacceptable).

General rule - let them heal just like any other surgery, then they can be bred again (when depends upon the particular dog and breeder preference), as long as there were no serious complications during surgery or obvious damage to the uterus, many will breed the next heat. The problem with c-sections is that sometimes scar tissue develops and this causes problems with subsequent litters, but not always.

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Old 10-26-2009, 02:20 PM
Salty Sea Dog

for those with large headed and squish nose breeds you can pre-book a c-section, healing is actually fairly fast (especailly when they use the glue instead of the stiches!)
and the dog can safely be bred again on its next heat (though i personally dont like back to back, especially in breeds who tend to need c-sections)

even with emergency c-sections you are usually given the option of whether or not you would like to spay while under.

vixie was spayed while under, because with chihauhaus, if they need a c-section for one litter, its very likley they will need one for each one thereafter...im not sure why this is, but its very common in the breed and to me, simply wasnt worth the risk, especially since i had no plans to continue showing her.

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 10-26-2009, 02:20 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpaeanx View Post
Are C-Sections always emergency? I know there are certain breeds that often need them do to their heads being huge or whatever... but I mean as a general.
For my breed, they seem to always been done under circumstances when necessary (i.e.: either the bitch's life, or the puppies, are in danger). Most prefer to free whelp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpaeanx
If a dog needs an emergecy C-Section, is that dog always spayed afterwards?
No, just like humans aren't always spayed afterwards Depending on the circumstances, I would be perfectly fine keeping her intact (unless, however, it was her last litter) and breeding her again (now if the issues she was having happened again in her second litter I probably would be hesitant).

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpaeanx
If the dog is not spayed afterwards, what is the general rule for having puppies again? How long of a wait would be recommended?
If it was her first litter, I would wait a heat at least to see how the puppies develop and mature during that time. It really depends on how well the surgeon was, and how the bitch handled it/healed.

Really, it comes down to the point where every bitch is different and every situation is different, and I would take it case by case.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:21 PM
<----Thanks Allie

oh ok. Cool beans.

I always thought that after having a c-section that's usually pretty much it.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:27 AM
Squishy22

Depends on the breed. I know truffles breeder always spays if one of her females need a section. But that's chihuahuas. Very rarely does she have to do a c section, but it does happen with chihuahuas. That is what happens when you breed for big heads I guess. When someone meets truffles for the first time they say, omg look at his huge head and tiny little body!!! I see him every day, so I don't really notice it much anymore, lol. He was free whelped. His mom was 6 pounds. A lot of breeders will sell their dogs to pet homes if they had to do a c section and get them fixed.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:30 PM
Top Dog

also the c-section is because of the angle of the pelvis not the size of the dog's heads.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:40 PM
Squishy22

Hmmm, is that true in every case? I've always been told that chis have sections because the pups have large apple domed heads, plus its such a tiny breed. And bulldogs have massive heads as well. I am sure it has a lot to do with other things than just the head size. I am no expert. Just something I've heard in chihuahuas.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:40 AM
Big Dog

Many thngs can factor in to why a c-section is needed. It can range from the puppies overall size, head size, if the pup is face up or down (especially important with big head breeds) mom's inability to produce enough hormoned for labor to be strong, lack of muscle toning (common in older dogs being bred), opening size of the pelvis, its shape, etc.

Depending on the reason for the section will predict if it is expected to happen again or not.