Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 10-27-2009, 09:49 AM
Top Dog

Oh and I hate when people correct me for using the word "can".

"Can I use your restroom?"

"I don't know, can you?"

Come on, you know what I meant, why make it so difficult. I make sure I use "May I" because if I get the "IDK, can you?" response one more time....
Old 10-27-2009, 09:59 AM
Don't encourage me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDlover_4ever View Post

"Can I use your restroom?"

"I don't know, can you?"

Come on, you know what I meant, why make it so difficult. I make sure I use "May I" because if I get the "IDK, can you?" response one more time....
Urgh.. My great grandad was a stickler for "Can".. In his words.. "Can is something metallic to store foodstuffs in"

The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Old 10-27-2009, 10:04 AM
Top Dog

LOL Gustav. My father would say, "Sure you can. I'm sure you're physically able. Do you want to know if I will allow you to?" LOL. So, I'd correct myself and say, "May I?" And he'd say, "Sure you may."

Quote:
Good to know. I'm going to be on the look-out!

Quote:
Come on, you know what I meant, why make it so difficult
The point of language isn't to know what you mean. You could hold your hand over your peepee and cross your legs and someone would probably know what you meant and point you to the rest room.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-27-2009, 10:17 AM
Don't encourage me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
LOL Gustav. My father would say, "Sure you can. I'm sure you're physically able. Do you want to know if I will allow you to?" LOL. So, I'd correct myself and say, "May I?" And he'd say, "Sure you may."
Or it would be the response.. "I don't know, can you?"

Your father infact should have replied "Of course you may" if you really wanted to be a stickler.

The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Old 10-27-2009, 10:20 AM
Top Dog

No, he meant, sure you can. In other words, sure, you're physically able...since that's what can means and that's what I asked. When I'd say it correctly, "May I"...meaning permission, then he'd say, "Sure, you may."
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-27-2009, 10:24 AM
Don't encourage me..

Quote:
No, he meant, sure you can. In other words, sure, you're physically able...since that's what can means and that's what I asked. When I'd say it correctly, "May I"...meaning permission, then he'd say, "Sure, you may."
Ahh, but using "Sure" is an Americanism.. It's not something a British person would say.. I don't think I have ever used the word "Sure" as a permission in my life.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:24 AM
Top Dog

Same as someone asking to borrow a stick of gum or a ciggie ! I don't want it back !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 10-27-2009, 10:33 AM
Top Dog

LOL Grammy.

Sure is actually incorrect. If you're going to use it, it should be "surely." I don't know if it's just an American thing. Don't the English say it? "Surely you jest." LOL. "Surely, you may use my bathroom." It just sort of emphasizes the permission...like "absolutely, you may." LOL.

My mother told me that when you're in someone's house, it's bathroom. When you're in a restaraunt or other public place, it's restroom. (Now, are those suppose to be two words or "can" I hook them together as one word?) See..some of those kinds of things throw me.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-27-2009, 10:35 AM
Top Dog

My teacher just mispronounced a work that annoyed me. Geenisses. Not geniuses, but geenisses >.<
Old 10-27-2009, 10:39 AM
Don't encourage me..

Quote:
LOL Grammy.

Sure is actually incorrect. If you're going to use it, it should be "surely." I don't know if it's just an American thing. Don't the English say it? "Surely you jest." LOL.
No, we all use "Methinks one taketh the michael" I had to think about that one then, but no.. I would use surely on the end of a sentance.. Like for example.. "That ought be enough, surely" It's almost a rehtorical question, the way it is said.