Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 10-25-2009, 04:00 AM
LoveMyBully

Default Demodectic Mange--If Anyone Knows, Someone Here Will. Potential Rescue.

Her face says it all.

This poor girl tugs at my heartstrings and she needs some rescuing and love NOW. We are searching for another family member and playmate for our dog Dozer. While skimming Petfinder, I came across Zoey.

Zoey has a horrid, I mean HORRID case of mange. If your heart can stand it, look at all her pictures at dogs(specifically her tail and haunch).

We want her, but how probably is it that we can successfully treat her and protect our dog and cat (and ourselves) as well? I'm more worried about her infecting our bully, who while prone to skin issues breedwise, is extremely healthy and strong (no immunity issues).

Thoughts?

Adopt a Shar Pei: Zoey: Petfinder
Mikey (6)
Millie the Cat (7)
Dozer the Bulldog (5)
Old 10-25-2009, 06:36 AM
overdogged

wow. that's some serious mange.

pretty much all dogs have demodex mites. (so do people- usually in your eyebrows). where they get into trouble like that dog is when things get out of balance and the immune system cannot keep the mites in check. often these dogs will have some longterm issues- for whatever reason, their immune systems are just not right. sometimes they have relapses, sometimes they have other issues that are revealed.

i know most cases i've seen at the vet clinic where i work have been cleared up ok, though none have been anywhere as serious as that. that poor girl. if you do get her, be sure to keep us updated on her progress.

here's a pretty good link about demodex Demodectic Mange
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 10-25-2009, 04:01 PM
Big Dog

I don't have any info about mange for you, but I just have to say . . . that poor girl! And she looks sweet in spite of it.

Have you checked with your vet to get some ideas? Please let us know what you decide to do.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:38 PM
Behavior Nerd

Am I correct in that this dog is in Hawaii?? If so, she'd likely not be given health clearance to fly to CO. Plus the stress of that long of a flight is likely to exacerbate the issue.

That being said, you might want to post on the dog.com forum - there's a woman there (SN is calliecritturs) who has a TON of experience with demodex and loves to help others in similar situations. She'd be a great resource in addition to your own vet.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:04 PM
swimming upstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
Am I correct in that this dog is in Hawaii?? If so, she'd likely not be given health clearance to fly to CO. Plus the stress of that long of a flight is likely to exacerbate the issue.

That being said, you might want to post on the dog.com forum - there's a woman there (SN is calliecritturs) who has a TON of experience with demodex and loves to help others in similar situations. She'd be a great resource in addition to your own vet.
the OP is actually in Hawaii now.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:09 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

THat is more severe than anything i have run into. THe one dog I did have and the ones i have seen treated since recovered quickly with treatment. My dog's mange never came back after that one treatment. If I remember it right my vet said that the reason the one pup had it and the others didn't is that he didn't have the immune response to the mite and they did. IT's been a long time ago but I htink that is was the answer to that question.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 10-25-2009, 08:21 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommakatx2 View Post
Her face says it all.

This poor girl tugs at my heartstrings and she needs some rescuing and love NOW. We are searching for another family member and playmate for our dog Dozer. While skimming Petfinder, I came across Zoey.

Zoey has a horrid, I mean HORRID case of mange. If your heart can stand it, look at all her pictures at dogs(specifically her tail and haunch).

We want her, but how probably is it that we can successfully treat her and protect our dog and cat (and ourselves) as well? I'm more worried about her infecting our bully, who while prone to skin issues breedwise, is extremely healthy and strong (no immunity issues).

Thoughts?

Adopt a Shar Pei: Zoey: Petfinder

Demodectic mange is not contagious, sarcoptic mange is the contagious type. Zoey's concerns would be her own. Poor dog and bless you for considering taking her on!

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Old 10-25-2009, 08:49 PM
Active Pup

Our Shar-pei mix Roscoe had Demodetic mange. He had to have frequent Mitaban Dips, we used Advantage, and changed his diet to Nutro Lamb and Rice (on the advice of a woman who had cared for many Shar-peis). It took about a year of care and the vet told us as his immune system developed he would over come it. He did over come it, it wasn't an easy process in the least but it was well worth it. My understanding is that it is not contagious. Our other dog Tanner never suffered from it.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:44 AM
The Littlest Hound

My friend's foster corso looked equally as bad if not worse before she was pulled from the shelter - there is hope! But be prepared for daily bathings and oral ivermec (which is yucky and can be a fight ) good news is that she was pulled in feb, and now she looks amazing. Stress can set it off again in later years, but she won't get to THAT point again until you realize that she's losing hair! Good luck! If you decide to take her on, you'll be AMAZED what she looks like in a few months - she may not even be a shar pei Poor Vita was so wrinkly and leathery and scabby, they had HER listed as a shar pei mix, too...

there is hope! lol

The Plotts:
UKC GRCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Liz
CH CCH CA 'PR' Jebb's Bayou Rage OFA Hips: Good

And the "off-colored" hounds:
Daisy Duke Garrett CGC, RA & my <3 dog (basset)

Very Missed:
UKC GRCH CCH 'PR' Skyplott Teddy Bearhug (5/2004 - 3/2014)
UKC CH CCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Irresistible You
'PR' Dead River K-N-A Swagger - the BAD puppy!
(and Autumn, the feist.)
Old 10-26-2009, 03:23 AM
LoveMyBully

I think we're going to go see her tomorrow. She is still available according to the site. There is just something about her that is calling me. I can see her potential to be a beautiful dog and happy for the rest of her life. It looks as though she's had pups recently, too. She just needs some constant cuddling, good food, and her dips. I bet she'll be a wonderful dog.
Mikey (6)
Millie the Cat (7)
Dozer the Bulldog (5)