Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 10-25-2009, 10:23 AM
We are Home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgipower View Post
I have a dog that would likely get THAT thin just from being on a food like gravy train for a week or two. I had an incredibly difficult time finding Tyr a food that would keep weight on him. When he was younger, and I was still looking for food that would keep weight on him, there was a brief period when he did come close to being that thin - just from being on a food that didn't work for him for a few days. Heartbreaking? Absolutely. Neglect? Nope.

I know first hand that it can happen that way, and I seriously hope these dogs are able to put the needed weight back on soon. I would suggest running a fecal chemistry on them. When Ares had weight issues, we did that for him (I'd never heard of such a test prior to that) and discovered that he didn't have sufficient beneficial bacteria. A good probiotic supplement was given and he recovered beautifully.

We have discussed doing one when I move back in a weekish but that there is no dire need for it. He went from eating Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete mixed with the regualr chicken and rice, to a little mixture of everything (evo rm, wellness, eagle pack (i think was in there) for a week and a half (thanks to izzy i will never be able to thank her enough for that) to eating gravy train.

And hes getting a half cup of straight plain probiotic yogurt with his food at every feeding too) We are trying to promote a slow gain but his body isnt having it.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 10-25-2009, 10:26 AM
We are Home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsarebetter View Post
thanks guys! I had no idea that could happen for just a week or two on bad dog food!

With him and dogs with that kind of metabolism it is a very sensitive system.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:30 AM
swimming upstream

different dogs metabolisms can be a funny thing--look how many here ask for advice due to feeding issues.
I feed both of my boys Taste of the wild. When Wilson first arrived here, I was using the waterfowl formula--no problem. But for a change, I bought a different 'flavor"--the bison mix I think. Anyway--by the end of the bag, Baxter had GAINED three pounds, and Wilson had LOST five. I hadn't changed the amount I gave either of them.
When I switched back to the waterfowl, they both returned to their previous weight. It doesn't take much to create imbalance for our pups.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:31 AM
We are Home.

FYI- He went from eating thiese Diamond Natural foods
Dry Food
Extreme Athlete
Some dogs just seem to be born as natural athletes. Other dogs work long and hard to develop their endurance and skill. Specifically formulated with optimal levels of protein and fat to fuel your hard-working dog, Extreme Athlete is designed to meet the needs of growing puppies and pregnant or nursing adult dogs, and all the nutritional needs of your program.

Protein: 32% Fat: 25%
Calories: 4,710 kcal/kg (470 kcal/cup) Calculated ME
Sizes Available: 40 lb. and 6 oz. sample

mixed 50/50 with this
Dry Food
Chicken & Rice Adult Dog Formula
The 26% protein and 16% fat formula will provide your dog with the nutrients necessary for optimal health and an active life. Guaranteed levels of vitamin E and selenium ensure that your dog is receiving optimum antioxidant nutrition, and crunchy kibble helps clean teeth and reduce plaque.

Protein: 26% Fat: 16%
Calories: 3,708 kcal/kg (368 kcal/cup) Calculated ME
Sizes Available: 40 lb. and 6 oz. sample

to this
Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein ............not less than 21.0%
Crude Fat ..................not less than 8.0%
Crude Fiber ...............not more than 4.0%
Moisture ....................not more than 10.0%

Ingredients:
Corn, soybean meal, beef and bone meal, animal fat, animal digest, salt, cellulose gum, caramel color, potassium chloride, bone phosphate, choline chloride, minerals (ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, manganous oxide, copper sulfate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamin mononitrate, vitamin A supplement, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement), dried beef stock, red 40, yellow 5, yellow 6, blue 2, BHA (preservative), tocopherols (preservative), citric acid (preservative).

Old 10-25-2009, 10:41 AM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchild16 View Post
to this
Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein ............not less than 21.0%
Crude Fat ..................not less than 8.0%
Crude Fiber ...............not more than 4.0%
Moisture ....................not more than 10.0%

Ingredients:
Corn, soybean meal, beef and bone meal, animal fat, animal digest, salt, cellulose gum, caramel color, potassium chloride, bone phosphate, choline chloride, minerals (ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, manganous oxide, copper sulfate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamin mononitrate, vitamin A supplement, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement), dried beef stock, red 40, yellow 5, yellow 6, blue 2, BHA (preservative), tocopherols (preservative), citric acid (preservative).
Regardless of the lack of quality ingredients and the plethora of garbage, none of mine would be able to survive on 8 % fat.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 10-25-2009, 10:46 AM
We are Home.

i honestly dont know a dog alive that could.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:48 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
The dogs spine ALWAYS shows the dogs hips ALWAYS protrude some, yet you notice his leg muscles are still the way they have always been (hint emaciated dogs dont have muscle )
Quote:
I never said yet again that he is where he is suppossed to be at but he doesnt have that muscle layer
i know this is confusing i'm actually posting something that goes with the other thread. but i kind of wanted to leave it as a beach thread and this as the weight thread.]

you've said 2 different things. it is prob from becoming defensive but you should probably read over what you post before posting because those look like two conflicting statements

Old 10-25-2009, 10:49 AM
We are Home.

The post that the rib part was refering to
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
On those dogs you can't count individual ribs. You see where the ribcage it, but it's covered in muscle. You don't see any vertebrae protruding either, or hips.

the layer of muscle comment was about his ribs (even healthy he doesnt have that),

the other was his legs where all his muscle is. Plus it was 5ish in the morning so if i was somewhat incoherent LOL thats why.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:39 PM
Very Food Agressive

Default !

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchild16 View Post
i honestly dont know a dog alive that could.
My dad feeds his Chessie 3 cups a day of Gravy Train and he's at a good weight (about 75lbs for a 4 year old male Chessie). I keep begging him to change foods because despite his weight being good, Mojo's coat is in horrible condition. His coat sheds constantly and is dried out without any real shine, it doesn't help that he's an outside dog though He's starting to get treated better though because my dad spends more time with him and wants Mojo to live a long life. (He never really connected with the dog before I moved out and my mom started traveling for work) Your story might be enough to convince my dad to switch for better food!

I can completely understand that a sighthound or really any dog with a high metabolism can loose 10+ pounds in a week. Hell, I can lose 5lbs in a day if I'm not eating anything of substance. A high metabolism dog living on crap food for a week or two will do as poorly as a human living on only white bread and lettuce sandwiches with only mayo for fat.

Good luck getting Scirocco back to a happy weight

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:42 PM
We are Home.

I wanna know how he gets that result?? Not trying to say he doesnt Im just truely curious?

I used to do the same thing I would eat nothing with any value for DAYS (whatever I happened to have at the house) Mostly BLTS and I lost major weight too and thats with Bacon in my diet. Anything that needs a high metabolic count daily and take that down you are going to get results and usualy not the ones you want. I knew Scirocco would lose weight but didnt expect as much as he did.