Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 10-25-2009, 09:58 AM
We are Home.

Walker looks normal Im looking at him now, he has 3 spine bones that poke up ALWAYS, his hip bones always look poking out because of the fur and his ribs are covered in a layer of fat. One of the pictures was taken mid bark (look at the hair on the back of his neck its straight up) and the other he was breathing heavy from a intense beach run. He was affected yes but only by a few pounds, and when you have no other choice but one where the dog will get put to sleep (rescue wont adopt a dog out that has seizures and rotten teeth at his age) hes a senile old fart or get him right back in condition and do what you can in a week and a halfish. If anyone thinks I did it by choice because I wanted him that way they are sadly mistaken but I tried whawt I could and did what I could, I kept uping his food so that maybe no matter how much it was he would at least retain some, (he was up to 10 cups in 5 small meals at one point)

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 10-25-2009, 10:08 AM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

I know greyhounds are a bit on the thin side. And I am not accusing you of not taking care of your dog. You are a chazzer, you love your dogs!
I really do think you should take him to the vet though to look for underlying conditions. I just cannot see how a dog would get that thin just from being on gravy train for such a short period of time. And since he is a senior, thats even MORE of a reason to vet him.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:13 AM
We are Home.

I have talked to the vet and been in constant contact with him since then (i dont know any here yet and we are going home soon anyway (so if it comes to that he will see my family vet) And he feels there is no cause for concern yet, hes already tested before for EPI and all that and he is saying the same thing the grey people and every other pro i talk to does, that he wasnt getting what he needed and since he is already kept at a weight where losing a pound even puts him under weight that as long as he is bouncing back and is still acting the same then there is no cause for concern. If my vet thought a thing was wrong with him other then diet then he would be having me run tests, my vet is actually known to over test.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:13 AM
Twin 2

Personally I think Walker looks great and I would kill for Kaylee to look like that. Unfortunately she's the antithesis of Scirrocco and gains weight by just looking at food.

I may not have owned any sighthounds but since a Saluki is my dream dog I have researched. I understand that a sighthound at when at the ideal weight for racing, hunting or working in general they will show weight loss fast and extreme because they don't have it there to loose.

Personally I don't think he looks that bad, yes he needs to gain some weight but I would never think it was extremely dire. Actually, he looks a lot like what I think a friend of mine who's dog would look like if we shaved him. He's a collie/greyhound mix that hates food. He's about 14 now and still as skinny as ever, you just can't see it because of all the hair. But, he's in great health except for his teeth because he's been underweight rather than overweight his whole life.

I would rather see an underweight dog than an overweight dog anyday.

I'm constantly amazed at how many people think my pup Kaylee is ideal/skinny when she needs to loose weight.

But I'm sorry, I like to see a rib or two on most in shape sighthounds

Good luck with his weight gain!
Old 10-25-2009, 10:14 AM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

i know you are dealing with tis issue , so no worries there ,

my only question is

How do you pronouce Scirocco?
i am stumped.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:17 AM
We are Home.

like the car Sir rocco

Old 10-25-2009, 10:18 AM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsarebetter View Post
I just cannot see how a dog would get that thin just from being on gravy train for such a short period of time.
I have a dog that would likely get THAT thin just from being on a food like gravy train for a week or two. I had an incredibly difficult time finding Tyr a food that would keep weight on him. When he was younger, and I was still looking for food that would keep weight on him, there was a brief period when he did come close to being that thin - just from being on a food that didn't work for him for a few days. Heartbreaking? Absolutely. Neglect? Nope.

I know first hand that it can happen that way, and I seriously hope these dogs are able to put the needed weight back on soon. I would suggest running a fecal chemistry on them. When Ares had weight issues, we did that for him (I'd never heard of such a test prior to that) and discovered that he didn't have sufficient beneficial bacteria. A good probiotic supplement was given and he recovered beautifully.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 10-25-2009, 10:20 AM
We are Home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
Personally I think Walker looks great and I would kill for Kaylee to look like that. Unfortunately she's the antithesis of Scirrocco and gains weight by just looking at food.

I may not have owned any sighthounds but since a Saluki is my dream dog I have researched. I understand that a sighthound at when at the ideal weight for racing, hunting or working in general they will show weight loss fast and extreme because they don't have it there to loose.

Personally I don't think he looks that bad, yes he needs to gain some weight but I would never think it was extremely dire. Actually, he looks a lot like what I think a friend of mine who's dog would look like if we shaved him. He's a collie/greyhound mix that hates food. He's about 14 now and still as skinny as ever, you just can't see it because of all the hair. But, he's in great health except for his teeth because he's been underweight rather than overweight his whole life.

I would rather see an underweight dog than an overweight dog anyday.

I'm constantly amazed at how many people think my pup Kaylee is ideal/skinny when she needs to loose weight.

But I'm sorry, I like to see a rib or two on most in shape sighthounds

Good luck with his weight gain!

Walkers weight got Awws and Ohhhs from the Ac so im not worried. She said hes the only dog she has seen around here that true to his weight and size proportion.

Thats exactly what happens with them, think of a model that is at the PERFECT weight for them if they lose any they look anorexic, same with dogs expecially a dog with a high metabolism.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:22 AM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

thanks guys! I had no idea that could happen for just a week or two on bad dog food!
Old 10-25-2009, 10:22 AM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsarebetter View Post
I know greyhounds are a bit on the thin side. And I am not accusing you of not taking care of your dog. You are a chazzer, you love your dogs!
I really do think you should take him to the vet though to look for underlying conditions. I just cannot see how a dog would get that thin just from being on gravy train for such a short period of time. And since he is a senior, thats even MORE of a reason to vet him.
You'd be amazed at how fast a food like that can take weight off of a dog, especially one with a fast metabolism I've seen it go fast on a dog with a NORMAL metabolism.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian