Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 10-25-2009, 01:55 AM
We are Home.

Yea he got some pedialyte during the time then as well. to prevent that.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 10-25-2009, 02:01 AM
Top Dog

Both dogs look thin - obviously Scirocco is thinnest of the two.

For starters, that is what shitty dog food does. BUT I would be concerned over the rate of weight loss - and even if he has gained 10 pounds of it back, I can't imagine him being 10 pounds thinner than in this picture. And I think he might need more than 10 more pounds on him, but I don't know the dog and how big he actually is, so I can't really say. But to lose 20 pounds in 2 weeks, and then to gain 10 pounds in a week, is beyond unhealthy. Weight needs to be gained slowly, or it will all be fat. I'm hoping that you're just making a really bad estimate of how fast he lost and gained weight, because those numbers don't make sense.

On the health side - I know you swear up and down there's nothing wrong with him. But you may want to ask your vet next time you go in about EPI. A friend of mine has a GSD that was 94 pounds, and over a month lost 19 pounds. THAT was a concerning weight loss, which is not even close to a 75 pound dog dropping 20 pounds. EPI is a condition where the dog cannot absorb nutrients from the food - so it literally is going right through them, and they do starve because although they are eating, and often eating well, they get nothing out of it. Some dogs have that effect with every food, some have it with certain foods. It's controlled by adding digestive enzymes to their food. I dog really shouldn't be losing weight that fast, even if they're not eating anything at all. If he were mine, I would be concerned about that weight loss, even if it was because of crappy food. Crappy food still has calories.

I'm not saying you don't feed your dogs. I'm not saying you're a bad owner because your dogs are think after being on bad food. Yeah, I could say if you can't afford to feed them good food then you shouldn't have them, but really, I think that's a little extreme. My parents feed crappy food, and they dogs are definitely happy and well cared for (though a little overweight, both of them >.<). To me, just because you have to feed something cheap for a little while doesn't make you an unfit dog owner What I'm trying to get across is that even though you don't think your dog could possibly be sick, it's something you need to seriously consider. EPI is rare, and honestly a lot of vets miss it until it gets really bad. So it's something you might want to at least mention the next time you go in. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt as it stands right now, even though some things you have said just don't add up. I, too, would like to see pictures in a week or two for comparison. And maybe an old picture from before he lost the weight?

I do want to add that dogs should all have SOME fat just like people should all have some fat, but they shouldn't be overweight, either. My dog is at his ideal weight of 57 pounds. He has some fat, but not too much. He's a boxer, so he's a thin-framed dog too (not to the extreme that greyhounds are). Yes, greyhounds in racing condition have minmal fat, but they do have SOME. A dog without an ounce of fat is not a dog in good condition. That being said, some dogs CAN'T gain weight. There's ca Vizsla where I work that has a horrible time gaining weight. In the past 2 years she's put on maybe 10 pounds, and still needs another 5-8 more before she would be in good condition. She's been worked up numerous times, but we've never found anything really wrong with her.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:08 AM
We are Home.

I meant extra fat obviously he has some. And its only been with this food and Im doing a general geuss since I havent weighted him (dont know any vets here) but he is perfectly fine and actually the first time we did check for EPI i know all about it and he tested negative. He just can NOT handle that kind of a food and someone wants to take my dogs for not being able to afford 50 dollars for a 30 pound bag then go ahead. Because now that he is on raw he is gaining weight his poops are smaller. I already looked for a past picture and all the ones I have are him laying down and you cant compare (hes old and lazy) And he needs ALOT of calories to keep his weight stable and he is NEVER kept over 75 which is ideal for HIM. Ask his breeder She has seen him since his retirement as well and LOVES the condition he is normally in.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:12 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
I meant extra fat obviously he has some.
No, he doesn't.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:14 AM
We are Home.

In a case where he is fed a GOOD HIgh metabolism food YES he does right now yes i know he is underweight and not in good shape HENCE the WORK i put into helping him.

No one argued that, what i argued was him being neglected

Old 10-25-2009, 02:45 AM
We are Home.

AND anyone that wants to argue that 76 pounds isnt good for him read his race pedigree, one pound down because hes not needing muscle like he did. I say thats DAM good for a dog off the track for 5 years now.

UNder his name it says RACE WEIGHT 75 POUNDS
Pedigree of Scirocco

Old 10-25-2009, 05:50 AM
overdogged

i guess i'm just absolutely at a loss as to why anyone would stand by and watch a dog decompensate to a point that is supposedly even worse than this. yes yes, you were feeding him crappy dog food that his body couldn't handle. and you continued to do so til he was so emaciated that he looks like a cruelty case.

i just... do not understand.

steve is very skinny under his fur. skinnier than i'd like but he just doesn't gain weight. but if he started dropping heaps of weight because of a food change, i'd d@mn well do something about it before he got to the point of walking skeleton! ribby is one thing. hip bones protruding is something else.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 10-25-2009, 08:44 AM
We are Home.

One he didnt look much different its just tiny things and two because i couldnt do anything else, i tried getting him food from else where but I couldnt, I had to wait and knew that as soon as I got the money and fed him what he needed.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:30 AM
Sprayin' the spiders

Walker looks emaciated as well. Did the Gravy Train affect him just as badly as Scirocco?

U-CH Rocket - BN RN CAA TT CGC TDI
Ruby - CD RA CGC
MBIMBS U-CH Poison
Allie the Lab
Noodle the Mini Dach
Old 10-25-2009, 09:31 AM
Sprayin' the spiders

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
i guess i'm just absolutely at a loss as to why anyone would stand by and watch a dog decompensate to a point that is supposedly even worse than this. yes yes, you were feeding him crappy dog food that his body couldn't handle. and you continued to do so til he was so emaciated that he looks like a cruelty case.

i just... do not understand.

steve is very skinny under his fur. skinnier than i'd like but he just doesn't gain weight. but if he started dropping heaps of weight because of a food change, i'd d@mn well do something about it before he got to the point of walking skeleton! ribby is one thing. hip bones protruding is something else.
^^^^^This.

U-CH Rocket - BN RN CAA TT CGC TDI
Ruby - CD RA CGC
MBIMBS U-CH Poison
Allie the Lab
Noodle the Mini Dach