Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 10-25-2009, 01:27 AM
Angel Chicken

Default AC's Comment from DC's Beach Pics Thread -- Moved

Body Condition Score Chart

Emaciated

Emaciated dog

Ribs and lumbar vertebrae obvious, pelvic bones and all other bony structures obvious and prominent. Tail base prominent and bony. Accentuated concave abdominal tuck Accentuated, severe hourglass shape to waist. No discernable body fat. Obvious loss of muscle mass.

Optimal

Optimal weight dog

Ribs, lumbar vertebrae, pelvic bones and other bony structures easily palpable with slight fat cover. Tail base smooth with thin, soft tissue cover. Concave abdominal tuck. Smooth hourglass shape to waist.

ie:

K9 Station Dog Training & AuxArcs Australian Shepherds

Emaciated. This dog looks to be a lightly-built breed, possibly a purebred Greyhound or sighthound mix. Even though she would seem "skinny" at a fit weight, it is apparent she is extremely underweight. She has had a recent litter of pups, and this means that her body's resources have been depleted in ways other than just not having enough to eat.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:35 AM
Felurian

Original thread: http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t106996-5/#post1485901

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 10-25-2009, 02:01 AM
Top Dog

yeah the dog is grossly underweight.

yoshi didn't even get that bad when she bloated and she had limited food intake during the days recovery and first couple days back as she was eased back into eating normally with a better/easier on the stomach diet. it looks even worse then when i first got yoshi *which was worse then when she bloated*

she says he is doing better though. in a week or two she could post up pics of him looking better.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:05 AM
Wookie Collie

Scirocco, IMO does seem grossly underweight right now. But, DC is telling us that he is putting the weight back on with the change in food, so I'm not worrying about it personally. I'm sure he'll be back to normal soon, and if he isn't than DC will see a vet regarding it.

I would love to see updated pics when he's at a good weight again, for sure!

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 10-25-2009, 02:08 AM
We are Home.

And there will be he has gained some back but its not really noticible unless you KNOW him. Im not saying he isnt underweight he is but he is dam sure not neglected, he was fed a crap food for 1.5 to 2 weeks and was already JUST at a perfect weight we were working on making him 5 pounds under (he has arthritis bad and we have a nice sized straight stair case) but at that time i had to buy gravy train because thats all i could afford. And once i had the money to buy something else I did.

ETA: my response that was on the other thread.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

um again seeing as the dog wont go over a certain weight no matter what or a certain look (i can feed him 5 cups a day at 75 pounds and he will stay 75 pounds) and has a skinnier look on him and we have been praised on how he looked (at 75 lbs) then yea im gonna say it again, you need to either read or back off. Youve already proven your class to everyone.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 10-25-2009, 02:38 AM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchild16 View Post
um again seeing as the dog wont go over a certain weight no matter what or a certain look (i can feed him 5 cups a day at 75 pounds and he will stay 75 pounds) and has a skinnier look on him and we have been praised on how he looked (at 75 lbs) then yea im gonna say it again, you need to either read or back off. Youve already proven your class to everyone.
I feel your pain. If I was to spray my borzoi down with a hose and take pics, people would probably freak out at that too. The vet wants him to put on 10 lbs minimum, but says it isn't dire or anything. He feels super skinny though, and that's with being up to date on worming, getting raw, table scraps, high quality kibble, fish oil supp. and satin balls. Sheesh, I even make his satin balls with organic wheat germ and organic black strap molasses. He just doesn't put on the weight.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:39 AM
We are Home.

If you ever find a cure tell me. LOL

and since its all been changed to this thread (thanks renee) I also want to bring her latest creation over here so no one misses it.

Today, 01:01 AM
Angel Chicken
Wash this memory clean! Join Date: May 2006

Send in the Failboat...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dog Owner Fail
Dog Owner Fail

Old 10-25-2009, 02:44 AM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchild16 View Post
If you ever find a cure tell me. LOL
lol, several borzoi breeders have told me that the key to bulking them up is lots of carbs. Some do it by mixing good kibble with cheap high carb kibble. One actually cooks pasta for their dogs with the cheap parmesan kraft cheese on top, which wouldn't be too expensive. I'm debating whether to go that far or not. As long as he's eating enough calories, his coat is good, and he has muscles I'm happy.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:46 AM
We are Home.

Thats how scirocco is the pictures of him arent him at a normal weight I have stated that, he was fed Gravy train for 1.5 to 2 weeks and lost 20ish pounds.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:49 AM
Taxiderpy

Yeah, poor dude. I hope he pulls back out of it fast. Personally, I'd be more worried about dehydration than malnutrition. If he pooped out more than went in, you know some of that has got to be moisture. I've seen very healthy looking animals get positively skeletal in a matter of days just from dehydration.