Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-07-2005, 12:58 PM
Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oriondw
Their fault, but as you have said, the reason the dog actually attacked instead of sniffing was because your small dog was snarling at it. I have a small feeling this is another case of small fear biter who hasnt been socialized with other dogs.
I realize this is backtracking a little, but it bugs me to see this, as it's a very common owner/onlooker reaction when 'friendly' unleashed dogs jump leashed dogs who are snarling and/or straining at the loose dog in the seconds before WWIII breaks out. In this case, the larger dog rushed the smaller dog, which is not a friendly behavior but an aggressive or (best-case scenario) a cluelessly inappropriate one. While the smaller dog may be aggressive and/or poorly socialized, the larger dog definitely is one or the other (or both). The sharpei's rush was either a show of force or a friendly but bumbling effort to engage the smaller dog's interest. In either case, the small dog reacted appropriately, snarling in self-defense at this larger dog whose behavior reads either as predatory or as inexplicable.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:57 PM
user not active

Quote:
Originally Posted by casablanca1
I realize this is backtracking a little, but it bugs me to see this, as it's a very common owner/onlooker reaction when 'friendly' unleashed dogs jump leashed dogs who are snarling and/or straining at the loose dog in the seconds before WWIII breaks out. In this case, the larger dog rushed the smaller dog, which is not a friendly behavior but an aggressive or (best-case scenario) a cluelessly inappropriate one. While the smaller dog may be aggressive and/or poorly socialized, the larger dog definitely is one or the other (or both). The sharpei's rush was either a show of force or a friendly but bumbling effort to engage the smaller dog's interest. In either case, the small dog reacted appropriately, snarling in self-defense at this larger dog whose behavior reads either as predatory or as inexplicable.

Dogs run up to us pretty often when we walk and him actually trying to defend us is rare occasion, very rare. He's also 10+ times bigger and more agressive then the small dog in question, but he has been trained and socialized, unlike the dog in question. Dogs are curious and the sharpei wanted to explore, the blame should go on the owner and not the two dogs in question.

Just speaking from experience... A well socialized, confident dog would read the other dog properly and would not snarl.

Just my 2c.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:27 PM
no touchy

Misty was rushing across the street with her hackles raised...not the friendliest way. I do think it was partially Lucy's fault because she freaked out but I believe this is mainly Misty and the neighbor's fault because they allow their dog to run and their dog attacked us.

And for those that may not know - I repeat that Lucy is NOT my dog, she's owned by a family that lives around the block from me.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.