Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-03-2005, 04:54 PM
no touchy

Default I am so ticked off right now!

As some of you may know, every Saturday I walk and train my neighbor's west highland white terrier, Lucy. She's a very sweet, intelligent little thing.
I decided to bring her to a park she has never been to before instead of our "regular" park (there are two or three parks close to my house). I walked around the block and to my house so Gabe could pet Lucy. When I got there my grandma was outside with my dad so I stopped and say hi to them and told them I was looking for Abbie. Suddenly the neighbor's dog, a shar pei/black labrador mix named Misty, ran across the street, hackles raised (of course I'm like, "Oh CRAP"). She has done this before - she runs across the street with her hackles up, and then once she reaches the other dog, she rushes at it, trying to sniff it. She has ran at me at least three times, if not more.
Lucy is a bit afraid of most other dogs, especially large ones, so she started barking and growling at Misty, keeping near me. So Misty gets annoyed and goes to attack Lucy! I try to keep the neighbor's dog away from Lucy. I grab Misty's collar and start yanking on it (I was thinking, "I hope the neighbors don't mind..." but I really didn't care if they minded) and then I grabbed Lucy and held her while Misty's owner walked calmly across the street saying, "Misty! Sorry."
Omigosh I was SO ticked off! This innocent little 16 pound dog who was doing nothing but taking a walk who isn't even mine could have been killed!!! When I seperated them (I was extremely careful - I have seen dogs go at eachother and know how to properly seperate dog fights) I got a scratch on my finger from Misty, it could have been Lucy. I was so mad and told my dad, "They should put their stupid dog on a leash!" and he goes, "Yeah well they're dogs it's gonna happen it's a dog thing." I told him if the neighbor's dog had been on a leash this wouldn't have happened and that Misty bit me. He says, "Well that little dog bit me." Whereas I have a scratch on my finger my dad has nothing. Lucy was only defending herself and while she could seriously injure someone, she'd never do it intentionally (there's a 25% chance that Lucy would bite someone intentionally).
So my Dad talked to the owners and they said they're extremely sorry and they'll be more careful . These people smoke and drink, and from what I've seen of them so far, they aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer.
I told Lucy's owner and she was okay with it, she was a little upset but she told me the dog is scared of many other dogs, including one of our other neighbor's westie puppy.

I'm glad Lucy wasn't hurt, and the neighbor's are lucky I didn't march across the street and chew them up.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 09-03-2005, 05:07 PM
Keyozilla

Wow how close! It's a good thing you seperated them...and a good thing Lucy didn't get hurt!

Meow.
Between the Rain Drops :: My graphics/personal website
Old 09-03-2005, 05:14 PM
user not active

Their fault, but as you have said, the reason the dog actually attacked instead of sniffing was because your small dog was snarling at it.

I have a small feeling this is another case of small fear biter who hasnt been socialized with other dogs.

Again, good thing no one got seriously hurt
Old 09-03-2005, 05:44 PM
Walks into Mordor

Grr..irresponsible dog owners like that drive me bonkers. I'm glad Lucy was all right, though.

A few days ago, Zeus was attacked by a chihuahua while we were on a walk. Of course the chihuahua was not on a leash. This thing came charging down the street, got right under Zeus's nose and was barking and snarling. Thank god Zeus seemed more amused than angry. The owner came running to pick up her dog and apologized, saying "I'm sorry, he does that all the time. He doesn't realize how small he is." If he does it all the time, why isn't he on a *&%@$ leash? I feel bad for the chihuahua: I have a feeling he'll be badly bitten by another dog before his owner wakes up to reality.
Old 09-03-2005, 05:49 PM
user not active

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gempress
Grr..irresponsible dog owners like that drive me bonkers. I'm glad Lucy was all right, though.

A few days ago, Zeus was attacked by a chihuahua while we were on a walk. Of course the chihuahua was not on a leash. This thing came charging down the street, got right under Zeus's nose and was barking and snarling. Thank god Zeus seemed more amused than angry. The owner came running to pick up her dog and apologized, saying "I'm sorry, he does that all the time. He doesn't realize how small he is." If he does it all the time, why isn't he on a *&%@$ leash? I feel bad for the chihuahua: I have a feeling he'll be badly bitten by another dog before his owner wakes up to reality.
Hehe, I had almost identical encounters with small dogs. I find it really amusing actually. My pup is playing with them, while they are trying to bite him. Their teeth are not big enough to bite through the double coat, not even a scratch
Old 09-03-2005, 06:21 PM
chowchow

I run into problems like that quite often. Gracie is still scared to pass a house down the road from us where a dog came after us with the intention of starting a fight. Even though the owner got rid of the dog, she doesnt know it and still is so scared. I understand your being so angry. It makes me angry seeing dogs running free. It makes it hard to take your dogs on walks, and to enjoy the walks. Gracie loves her walks. She is still a puppy. My worry is what happens when she's fullgrown, realizes her strength and some dog tries to dare her to fight. Needs to be a law agaisnt stupid people.
oh, and I have to say this, I smoke. Ok, I'm not much on drinking.
Old 09-03-2005, 07:23 PM
Twin 2.0

Just because some smokes and/or drinks doesn't mean they're bad people or stupid. Leaving a dog with a history of charging off-leash means they're stupid.

Glad neither of the dogs were hurt.
Old 09-03-2005, 07:39 PM
no touchy

I'm not saying because they smoke and drink alchohol means they're bad people (one of my sisters smokes and my Mom likes to drink wine) but these people drink and smoke A LOT. They're sort of drunks.

Quote:
I have a small feeling this is another case of small fear biter who hasnt been socialized with other dogs.
Lucy was a bit scared and undersocialized before I start training her. Now she is getting much, much better. She good friends with a bernese mountain dog which is a lot bigger than Misty.
Just sleeping.
Old 09-03-2005, 07:43 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddylovesdogs
I'm not saying because they smoke and drink alchohol means they're bad people (one of my sisters smokes and my Mom likes to drink wine) but these people drink and smoke A LOT. They're sort of drunks.
Smoking has NOTHING at all to do with the character of the person! It's smoking, it's an addictive habit and that has nothing at all to do with if these people are irrisponsible doggy people or not.

Drinking well if they drink a lot then they might not be able to think as clearly but it still doesn't mean they are bad people.
Old 09-03-2005, 07:47 PM
no touchy

I never said they're bad people because they drink and smoke! Why the heck are people constantly accusing me of things? But what I did say is that these people are drunk and dilusional. The guy might've even been a little drunk when he went to get his dog - it sure looked like he was.
Just sleeping.