Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 10-20-2009, 10:41 PM
CEO of the Candy Cult

Default Puppy Food? What do I feed?

First I just want to say, I know I never post, but I am a most frequent lurker lol.

So I was thinking about it long and hard. Rush is on Orijen 6 Fish right now, and Bear is on California Natural (which is likely to change because her stomach isnt handling it very well). I have been thinking hard about adding another puppy to my home, and I really want to do things right. I fed Rush Canidae all life stages, but I have been fed conflicting information. Some people tell me high protein is good for puppies (making Orijen Puppy my first go to food), and then other people tell me noooo High protein can cause some structural issues? Me? well Im at a huge loss, I have NO idea what to do.

The food no matter what HAS to be holistic. I have banned foods with corn from my house lol. I heard grainfree foods can be kinda harsh on a puppy, but I dont know what is right so here I am for information! I asked on some other forum and they said, Orijen 6 fish is considered an ALS formula so I can feed it to a puppy (which wasnt what I was asking lol).

Someone tell it to me like it is, and I would love to hear suggestions on puppy foods too! I thought about wellness and eaglepack? Eh. So lost. I dont want to feed whatever Honey Bear and Rush are on though unless I know that its okay for a puppy and that they can handle it. I really want to do the best I can for my next dog, even if I dont know exactly when that is lol.

Diane

Elusive Psychotic Thrill "Rush" -22 month old Border Collie-

Diane's Fuzzy Wuzzy "Honey Bear" -6 year old mix-
Old 10-24-2009, 12:50 PM
Active Pup

Puppies need high protein food. Because this is the perfect stage of development for their muscles. But you have to do some trial and error as to which dog food best suits your puppy. Like for example, a puppy could hate Pedigree and could love Alpo. It really depends on the results it would give to your pup.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:57 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

None of my dogs would ever get the chance to pick Alpo. Yuck.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 10-24-2009, 01:01 PM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbalumba View Post
Puppies need high protein food. Because this is the perfect stage of development for their muscles. But you have to do some trial and error as to which dog food best suits your puppy. Like for example, a puppy could hate Pedigree and could love Alpo. It really depends on the results it would give to your pup.
I would like to point out that both Alpo and Pedigree are VERY low protein, so shouldn't even be an option for your pup to pick.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:06 AM
Love my pets

An all life stages food is good for puppies. If you like the al life stages you are using now, I would continue that with the puppy.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:03 AM
Top Dog

How old is your puppy? In your siggie it seems that you don't have puppies, you have adults? Maybe it's wrong??
Old 10-25-2009, 11:35 AM
We are Home.

shes asking for advice for in the future.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 10-25-2009, 12:46 PM
Behavior Nerd

I just feed ALS formulas to pups - my vet agrees that this is often the best option to avoid pano from fast growth and it allows me to feed everyone the same food, which is nice.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:51 PM
Big Dog

Chicken Soup for the dog lover's soul has a puppy formula that is holistic and natural and does not have corn, I would recommend it. they have wet and dry formulas too.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:23 AM
Big Dog

Hgh protein foods can cause growth spurts in large breeds which can lead to joint problems, however I've talked to a few people who said they fed Orijin (40% protein) and their dogs were fine on it, as long as you give them good exercise and feed the right amounts. There's a thread about high protein and puppies here.