Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 10-19-2009, 01:54 PM
Angel Chicken

We talked some last night already, but I told ya... those prolly aren't goldfish. I haven't pinpointed what yet-- mind if I show a buddy your pic?

Filtration can be compensated for with frequent water changes. No need to go extra heavy for 'em. I was told for years the 20+ fish I have (had, sold some), were way too many in my 55 gallon, yet I have a 6" long cichlid in there, and he's about... 4 years old now. The other fish are 2-3 years. I change my water weekly, or bi-weekly when the ammonia rises.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:36 PM
Top Dog

Whatever. Those little fishies should be thanking their lucky stars that they aren't live food for cichlids or being swallowed alive by someone for kicks, or that they didn't suffocate due to lack of oxygen in their little bags. Really they're cruising in the top 10% of cheap-goldfishdom.

If Izzy feels the fish are getting too big or she doesn't want them anymore most people with a pond will take a couple of larger goldfish.

Sheesh.

Congrats on the fish by the way lol
Old 10-19-2009, 03:44 PM
Not a lurker

I wouldn't worry about 2 small gold fish in a 10 gallon tank, at least not for awhile. The greenish gold one will probably turn gold in the long run, those kind start out greenish silver and turn gold over time - at least most of them, some stay green.

I used to buy feeder fish by the ton at the pet store and dump them in our stock tank. I figured that even if it wasn't "ideal" conditions (considering horses drank out of it and whatnot) it was much better than being Oscar food. This tank was fed by a windmill, so it's a large tank (4 ft tall by 60 ft wide) and within a couple of years I had some HUGE fish in there.

I had like 6 good sized gold fish (4 fan tails and 2 black moors) in a 30 gallon tank, along with a couple of sucker fish. I had a large filter on it and cleaned it weekly and they all did quite well.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:54 PM
Very Food Agressive

I'm going to stick with my earlier post saying I won't comment on husbandry of these little fish. Which, I won btw, didn't buy them as someone mentioned before.

Ace: Go ahead and show the picture, I don't mind in the least. I doubt someone is going to stalk me via fish photo lol. Someone (Sam?) Mentioned comets, could that be it?

It would be awesome if Harper ended up gold, I saw a few gold ones at the fair and they were very pretty. The green-gold is neat though, reminds me of a dragon or something. We might be getting a suckerfish to help the filter out a bit since two fish seem rather lonely as it is.

When I finish getting decorations for the tank put in, I'll get another picture of the fish!

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:55 PM
ACoops favorite

I like the greenish one best. I bet he will end up turning gold. As they grow, you'll have a better idea of what they are. :-)

I bought three fish...I was pretty sure all were orandas until they started growing. Now, I think I've got some type of mutant goldfish LOL

I bet yours will be really pretty as they grow. Please post pics often. I need more goldfish pictures in my life. :-)
Old 10-20-2009, 11:46 PM
Navy Sister

Yay, goldfish! Congrats on your little prizes! I won a goldfish at the fair when i was a kid, that thing lived for 8 years in a one-gallon tank As far as tank-sizes go, I think these fishies are gonna be ok
knows that we know, and holds us responsible to act.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:31 PM
Very Food Agressive

Well as an update, the orange one (Selena) didn't make it either. Don't know why, wasn't the tank since Harper is doing just dandy in there. I'll post picture of Harper when I get home from my parents' house this weekend.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:31 PM
Salty Sea Dog

10 gals will be more than enough for them for about 6 months or so, but expect to upgrade eventually.

rule of thumb for comets, shubbies and other "torpedo" shaped goldfish is 10 gals for the 1st and 5 gals per golide after, those guys will easily get to 12 inches in their first 24 months!
you will need filtration however, goldfish are incredibly MESSY high output fish, for a 10 gallon tank id put a filter for a 20-30 gallon tank.

weve just brought the pond fish in for the winter, there cramped in a 75 gallon BUT ive got 4x filtration on the tank, which means whiel theyll be a little squished they wont poisen themselves which is oe of the biggest concerns with goldfish of any kind.

a 10 gal shoudl do you for a while, if you can afford bigger go for it, get a good filter on the tank and when they outgrow the tank you can either upsize your tank or put them in a pond

im sory selina didnt make it, unfortunatly its VERY common in fair fish, they generally buy their fish from fishy mills, (they use the same fish as the petstores sell for feeders), then they end up living in less than good conditions for however long. feeders tend to be weakend immunity anyway, combined with the stress of being baged and used as prizes, then the stress of a new home, its often too much for their little bodies.

the good news is, those that do survive the first few weeks are extreemly hardy, long lived and will grow into big flashy adults!

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 10-25-2009, 02:38 PM
Very Food Agressive

Well, Harper (The surviving fish) is doing well, has the whole 10 gallons to her self! The water is starting to cloud *sigh* In just over a week no less. She does have a filter but I guess I'll have to do partial water changes at least once a week or get a larger filtration system.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:45 PM
Salty Sea Dog

the cloudyness is the tank cycling, this is perfectly normal. do 1 gallon water changes about 3 times a week to keep the amonia from getting to dangerous levels.
the cloudyness should start to dissipate within the next couple of weeks...

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets