Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 10-22-2009, 07:27 PM
lizzybeth727's Avatar
lizzybeth727 lizzybeth727 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 6,403
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
it wasn't dramatic though. really it was pretty boring. definitely would not have made for good tv.
Of course it's boring. At work we constantly have "tourists" who want to come and see "the exciting world of service dog training!" What they don't realize is that the dogs aren't doing "real" service behaviors until just before they move on to their new homes, so it takes a lot of imagination to figure out what their behaviors might look like in the end. And that's if you're lucky enough to see an advanced dog.... Most of our dogs are learning the difference between "sit" and "down." I think even most trainers are bored with that lesson.

Besides that, personally, I don't watch Victoria Stillwell's show. Why not? Because I find her boring. I don't watch Cesar's show either, but that's because it raises my blood pressure to unhealthy levels.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 10-22-2009, 11:25 PM
Lolas Dad's Avatar
Lolas Dad Lolas Dad is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
It's not abuse to train your dog or teach them self control; I don't think you will find a person here who will tell you that it is. I'll call it abuse if you intimidate Lola into staying in her crate until you release her. I'll call it abuse if, when she goes after the wrong treat on the floor, you grab her by the neck and throw her away from it. If you are doing it in a positive way that makes it fun for the dog, it's just good training.
I taught her how to stay calm in her crate when I was letting her out because she would paw at the crate before. I basically waited till she calmed down before letting her out and to get her to calm down told her to lay down. When she got up I would tell her to lay down again and would not let her out until she was completely calm. It took her about a week before learning that and then I threw in the wait command that she had already learned previously. I have her wait while I am out of the bedroom where her crate is with the crate door open and I then get her poop bag and leash ready. Then I say come on when I am at the front door. She does not come out of the crate until then. Sometimes it could be 30 seconds sometimes it will be five minutes. The few times that she came out on her own I would have her walk in her crate again and wait again. There are a few times when I open the door from the outside that she has come in before me and those times I have her come out again and wait at the door while I go in first. Then I make sure she has eye contact with me and say come on and she comes in. I have never gotten physical with her and will never do that.

As for the treats on the floor just tonight we were at the Library so that the kids could read to her. We have 5 or so dogs and all the kids switch every ten minutes or so giving them the chance to be with all the dogs. One of the girls got a treat from one of the other people that had her dog there and came over and gave it to Lola. She had another one so I asked her if I could have it and she gave it to me and I broke it in 3 pieces. As soon as I placed the pieces on the floor Lola focused on me and I pointed to the first one. She took it and went into a sit again. I pointed to the second and she took that one, then she automatically took the third one. All I did when she made that mistake was tell her you weren't supposed to steal it. Then I had another one I gave her but before I did that she stood up on her hind legs and balanced herself taking a few steps. The kids seem to be really impressed when I show them how she gets her treats from the floor.
__________________




Can someone please kill this flea before it jumps on Lola
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 10-23-2009, 02:08 AM
Doberluv's Avatar
Doberluv Doberluv is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: western Wa
Posts: 21,914
Default

I guess I'm still confused why you asked if all those things in your other post were abuse? It sounds like your dog is well mannered and the way you describe your training methods sound perfectly gentle and sensible. In other words, it sounds like you know what you're doing....so why would you question whether or not those things are abuse? Do you really not know?
__________________
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776





"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 10-23-2009, 03:53 AM
puppydog's Avatar
puppydog puppydog is offline
Tru evil has no pantyline
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,498
Default

I find most of Lolasdad's post very difficult to understand, so I am with you on your confusion Doberluv.

I shudder to think what would have become of Ben if I had not walked out of my obedience training classes when I did.
Since moving him over to a clicker class his confidence has soared.

He did SO well in class yesterday, he has come leaps and bounds, just tackles the dog walk and A frame as if they were nothing, he has no fear anymore. Why? Because he knows I am there for him, that he can trust me and that he can't get in trouble because he doesn't do anything WRONG persay, just learns as he goes. He has never been punished at agility, never had the word "no" used. And yet, this dog, who has been doing this class for less than 6 months is already ready to enter into a novice course on the 8th!

That, my friends, is what not scaring your dogs does. It is called building a relationship of trust and total team work. I would have it no other way.
__________________


Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 10-23-2009, 10:10 AM
Doberluv's Avatar
Doberluv Doberluv is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: western Wa
Posts: 21,914
Default

I'm so glad you got out of that first class. I remember that, now when you mention it. You have done a super job with Ben...just fantastic. And you nailed it about what a trusting, working relationship, where the dog is a participant does and how to create it. Congrats on your success with Ben. This is very exciting how far he's come in agaility. Way to go!
__________________
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776





"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 10-23-2009, 10:21 AM
xpaeanx's Avatar
xpaeanx xpaeanx is offline
<----Thanks Allie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 7,849
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppydog View Post
I find most of Lolasdad's post very difficult to understand, so I am with you on your confusion Doberluv.

I shudder to think what would have become of Ben if I had not walked out of my obedience training classes when I did.
Since moving him over to a clicker class his confidence has soared.

He did SO well in class yesterday, he has come leaps and bounds, just tackles the dog walk and A frame as if they were nothing, he has no fear anymore. Why? Because he knows I am there for him, that he can trust me and that he can't get in trouble because he doesn't do anything WRONG persay, just learns as he goes. He has never been punished at agility, never had the word "no" used. And yet, this dog, who has been doing this class for less than 6 months is already ready to enter into a novice course on the 8th!

That, my friends, is what not scaring your dogs does. It is called building a relationship of trust and total team work. I would have it no other way.
That's like in my agility class... one of the dogs was afraid to go into the tunnel. The owner asked if he could pull the dog through with the leash.

My instructor about had a heart attack. She was like "NO NO NO NO! The dog is ONLY going to go through the tunnel when she decides that she wants to. I don't care if we're here all day!"
Well about 15 minutes later, the dog went throught the tunnel on her own... and now happily runs at full speed through it! She just needed a little extra time on the first one.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 10-23-2009, 10:34 AM
Lolas Dad's Avatar
Lolas Dad Lolas Dad is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpaeanx View Post
That's like in my agility class... one of the dogs was afraid to go into the tunnel. The owner asked if he could pull the dog through with the leash.

My instructor about had a heart attack. She was like "NO NO NO NO! The dog is ONLY going to go through the tunnel when she decides that she wants to. I don't care if we're here all day!"
Well about 15 minutes later, the dog went throught the tunnel on her own... and now happily runs at full speed through it! She just needed a little extra time on the first one.
What he should have done is stand at the opposite side of the tunnel the dog was on and coax him or her with a treat whether it be a toy or food but if I was the instructor I would have had him put a collar on and I would have lead him through the tunnel to show that idiot how humiliating it would have been for the dog.
__________________




Can someone please kill this flea before it jumps on Lola
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 10-23-2009, 10:36 AM
xpaeanx's Avatar
xpaeanx xpaeanx is offline
<----Thanks Allie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 7,849
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolas Dad View Post
What he should have done is stand at the opposite side of the tunnel the dog was on and coax him or her with a treat whether it be a toy or food but if I was the instructor I would have had him put a collar on and I would have lead him through the tunnel to show that idiot how humiliating it would have been for the dog.
um.... he was on the other side of the tunnel with a treat and calling the dogs name and everything... the dog still didn't want to go through, that's why he asked about the leash.

I was just pointing out how not pushing a dog and letting them overcome their own fears(even though it can take awhile) leaves you with a dog that is now happy to do what you want it to.

And from what I see CM do to dogs, he probably would have been the one to leash the dog and pull it through.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 10-23-2009, 10:37 AM
Doberluv's Avatar
Doberluv Doberluv is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: western Wa
Posts: 21,914
Default

Absolutely. Of what use is a dog that you have to force to do everything?

Lyric was like that when we did agility....at first. I looked like a fool, but I crawled through the tunnel first. LOL. (even though, supposedly, they don't imitate humans very well.) The next thing you know, he's going through. And the next thing you know, it was his favorite obstacle and he'd zoom through it and instead of continuing on the course, he'd make U turn and go through it again, and again. He had everyone in stitches. But he was having the time of his life.That's the most important thing and the thing that makes them go vroom, vroom, as Boemy might put it. LOL. Then the shute was no problem at all. Going blind didn't bother him at all. I miss my Dobe.
__________________
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776





"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 10-23-2009, 10:53 AM
Lolas Dad's Avatar
Lolas Dad Lolas Dad is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpaeanx View Post
um.... he was on the other side of the tunnel with a treat and calling the dogs name and everything... the dog still didn't want to go through, that's why he asked about the leash.

I was just pointing out how not pushing a dog and letting them overcome their own fears(even though it can take awhile) leaves you with a dog that is now happy to do what you want it to.

And from what I see CM do to dogs, he probably would have been the one to leash the dog and pull it through.
Well it's hard to know that seeing as how you left out that important detail no matter how little it was.

I did see one episode of DW where there was a dog that did not want to walk past a garbage can. He would go nuts so what Cesar did was get some garbage cans and put them in two rows close together and got the dog walking right past them. Sometimes I think it's the owner in different situations that make the problem worse as in this case the woman seen the garbage cans and was afraid to have her dog walk past them because she knew the dog was going to freak out. The dog was picking up on her fear.
__________________




Can someone please kill this flea before it jumps on Lola
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:38 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site