Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-17-2009, 04:32 PM
Top Dog

Argon's last yearly involved a heartworm check, titer, and thorough physical exam as well as behavioral troubleshooting. It would have involved a fecal, except he apparently didn't have anything to give, and Mommy forgot to scoop his poopies later and bring them in (actually, Mommy just remembered it as she was typing).
An exceptionally giving dog, he not only gave them blood from two different draws, he through in the bonus of squirting his anal glands for the vet tech.

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:42 PM
Top Dog

If I had heart worm where I lived, I would check for that one. Its a terrible thing. But my vet said they don't see it where I live. Same with a few other things. Like fleas. Yeah....no fleas.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-17-2009, 04:49 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

Annual general physical exam, heartworm test and fecal exam. Baseline bloodwork at 7-8 yrs old and then again only if there's a problem.

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Old 10-17-2009, 05:52 PM
Top Dog

Buzz got a Silver this spring. He usually gets a Bronze.
CBC (complete blood count)
GHP (general health profile)
Urinalysis
Thyroid
Electrocardiogram

Bailey got a Bronze this spring. This was the first year she's had annual bloodwork done.
CBC
GHP
Urinalysis

We started doing yearly blood work when the dogs each reached nine years old I think.

We used to just do a heartworm antigen test, but after Bailey's misdiagnosed anaplasmosis, we run a 4DX. I'm seriously contemplating moving the 4DX to the fall and just an antigen test again in the spring.

We do rabies about every 3 years (I push it out as long as possible, and I doubt Buzz will be vaccinated for anything again) and DHPP the same. Bordetella when they are going to be boarded. No Lyme or Lepto.

I only wish we only went in yearly! Between surgeries and routine bloodwork for meds we're there pretty darn often. It's a good thing I love my vet!
Puzzle Piece Gabby RL1 RLV 9 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 10-17-2009, 06:06 PM
Top Dog

I go in once a year and go by what my vet suggests . Usually a good complete checkup , blood and fecal check and needed shots . Luckily they don't go overboard !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 10-17-2009, 06:27 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
You don't do any type of lab? Do you just go by if Meg is having problems?
Yup, although as of yet, not a glimmer of a problem. Never had my vet recommend it either. She's still relatively young, remarkably fit, and has never shown any signs of being anything but exceptionally healthy. Bless her, she is my easy pet! Tristan more than makes up for her.

At some point I'd like the get her elbow x-rayed just for my own peace of mind, but I'm also not willing to put her under for just that since it hasn't caused an issue since the first few weeks I had her. If she ever had to go under for something else, I'd have it done.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:12 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

For Auggie I like to get him in yearly to have a good physical exam to make sure his joints and his eyes are still looking and feeling good. Heartworm tests are done annually, they'll do a fecal float if I ask but I usually forget to bring in a poop sample so they don't.
This year we have to do rabies and this is our first year doing a titer. I don't know if they'll be annual or every two years from this point on.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 10-18-2009, 08:20 PM
Top Dog

Bailey is at the vet's office a lot. I did make appointments specifically for his shots (DHP, rabies and bordatella) (he goes to daycare). He had a fecal and a HW test. And a physical exam.

Bailey had bloodwork done last spring when we were trying to get him diagnosed. When we went to the vet last week, he didn't think that B needed annual bloodwork because he's still so young (17 mos.), even with his IBD. I'm on the fence since we know that Bailey has an autoimmune disease, for which he's been on medication that *can* have side effects (the vet isn't particularly worried about that potentiality), so I will probably ask the vet about it again when we have our next appointment (bordatella in the spring). I may go ahead and get it just to make myself feel better, lol.

B goes to do different vets -- an allopathic and a homeopathic. I've recently decided to be more conservative and go with the "regular" vet for annual exams and vaccinations, and heartworm and other similar recommendations. I'll stick with the homeopath for Bailey's remedies and diet advice (as needed). We'll vaccinate less regularly or not at all when he gets older, but I've decided to go with annual vaccinations for a while (and have to anyway while he's in daycare). I won't do titers if I decide not to vaccinate in the future.

I think annual exams are important. My (indoor) cats have always gone in and I have declined vaccinations I felt were unnecessary (pretty much everything, unless someone is staying overnight and the vet's office requires it).
Old 10-18-2009, 09:38 PM
F150 and a .30-06

Aside from the Addisons things we dont go to the vet unless there is a problem. I dont do regular visits. However I dont hesitate to bring my dogs in if I think there is a problem

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 10-18-2009, 10:14 PM
Obey the Toad.

They get a yearly exam with their shots, heartworm test, etc. I've never had a fecal recommended to me and never did one until I had to have one done for Jack's training class. jack does got periodic bloodwork, but only because he is on occasional NSAIDS for his elbow.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.