Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-11-2009, 08:46 AM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

Default Tug of war makes your dogs mean!

That's what my relatives believe.
I play tug of war daily with my dogs. And I don't understand how it can make them mean! Any ideas? Has anyone ever heard of this?

They heard Ruckus and Lynn growling and really putting on a show during tug of war and they said "See, you are making them mean!"
I think this is just ignorance on their part, but I didnt know what to say back other than "No, its not"
so what does, or doesnt tug of war make a dog mean?

when we play tug, the game starts and stops when I say. We all take turns winning and losing. The dogs never bite my hand by accident, even though I do play with both dogs at the save time. I can take it away from them when I ask for it with no problem.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:49 AM
Love My Mutt <3

well... Rosey loves tug of war. She's now almost 11... and not mean at all lol She's the biggest wimp ever, and wouldn't hurt a fly! Of course... if other say it makes a dog mean, they must be right?

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 10-11-2009, 09:22 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsarebetter View Post
They heard Ruckus and Lynn growling and really putting on a show during tug of war and they said "See, you are making them mean!"
LOL, I would HATE to think what they would say if they ever saw Sofie playing tug-o-war, she gets downright crazy pulling/growling and she's good at it But she knows the rules, I say no bite or stop and she drops the toy (or I let her win, and have her moment of glory) and that under no circumstances are her teeth to touch skin.

I've heard it before, but I see nothing wrong with it once boundaries are set.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:26 AM
Plus One

I was actually going to post a thread on this because before I came here I was a CM fan and never played tug of war with the dogs and now it's our fav game. I don't see how it can make them mean at all in fact now the dogs are better trained beacuase tug is a reward for training
Old 10-11-2009, 09:29 AM
Remembering Casey ♥

Oh god.. If thats true then Im screwed.. Thats keelys fav game and we play it ALL the time. She puts on a big show too..

Id like to do Bitework with her. I could swing her around at the end of her pull rope and she wouldnt let gooo :P.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:36 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogs6 View Post
I don't see how it can make them mean at all in fact now the dogs are better trained beacuase tug is a reward for training
Sofie can get bored with training, and there's nothing better to her than a good game of tug out of the blue to get her fired up again!

LOL, so she will be a well trained mean dog? I'll take it!
Old 10-11-2009, 10:37 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Especially when puppies are very young tug of war is a bad idea.

We play a very gentle tug here on occasion.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 10-11-2009, 10:49 AM
ACoops favorite

Hrmm...thanks for posting this question. We play tug of war with Abby, and she sounds like a devil with her growling! But, that's just playing for her. Fleur is also very growly when she plays, but I know the difference between play growl and mean growl.

It's all in the other body language being displayed.

I think that maybe tug of war would be bad for puppies because it could damage their bite, correct?
Old 10-11-2009, 10:59 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Especially when puppies are very young tug of war is a bad idea.
I disagree with this.

It's a game. Dogs play it with each other all the time. It is thought by some behaviorists to be a cooperative "killing" game. (an off shoot from hunting as a group...but still....a GAME, as domestic dogs, even as adults, are neotenic animals. (juvenile forms of their counter parts due to things like delayed onset of adult hood, brain chemistry like that of a young animal, small, under developed morphological features etc, etc, etc)

All games have rules and tug of war should be no exception. My rules are: No biting my hand, even by accident or else, game over. No jumping up to grab the tug toy uninvited or the game immediately ends. And the "give" command must have been well installed prior. (to teach, do the trade game...don't take things from a dog without trading up....at least, most of the time, as he's learning and even, once well installed, trade fairly often when you take something) Some people insist that they are the ones who initiate the game and end it. I, personally, don't care about that rule. If a dog comes and asks to play, just like if a friend asks me to "play," I don't necessarily decline. If I don't want to play, I don't. If I do, I do. I don't care if the dog gets bored and stops playing to go do something else. Also, I let the dog win most of the time. It is a good confidence builder. I encourage this game with dogs that have certain confidence issues. It has nothing to do with "dominance" as it is simply a game....as long as the rules are installed first. If your dog has resource guarding issues, that should be dealt with first, of course.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Doberluv; 10-11-2009 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:59 AM
Big Dog

We play tug of war with Harley all the time...its definitely his favorite game. He gets really into it growling but he is just playing...the game starts and stops whenever we say. I do think that you need to make sure your dog knows you are the one controlling the game so they understand that its just play.