Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-16-2009, 06:08 PM
Very Food Agressive

I thought I'd point out that SA is not something you can train out of some dogs without a loooot of work. Just like anxiety attacks require therapy for humans. That said, I don't think I'd fault an owner for having to crate their dog when they leave if they have SA. Laur's Summer has some SA issue and I would definitely call her a WELL trained dog.

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:20 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Is good with children whether or not they live their
Quote:
Is not aggressive around other dogs.
I'm going to respectfully disagree with both of these. I think a well trained dog should not be lunging or snarling at either children or other dogs when they are out in public, but not that they have to enjoy being in the company of either.
Argon is very well trained, and I trust him just about anywhere, but he does not really care for other dogs. We can walk right by them with no reaction, but he doesn't like them. Nor does he like kids. He will tolerate my sisters children, and quietly retreat, no aggression, but that does not mean he is good with them, or would ever choose to be around them.

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:21 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy's Valkyrie View Post
I thought I'd point out that SA is not something you can train out of some dogs without a loooot of work. Just like anxiety attacks require therapy for humans. That said, I don't think I'd fault an owner for having to crate their dog when they leave if they have SA. Laur's Summer has some SA issue and I would definitely call her a WELL trained dog.
SA is something that I worked out of Lola and it did take a lot of work. It's not something easy to deal with and a person would not actually know they have it until they got the dog home sometimes.

On the other hand I did see an episode of "From underdog to wonderdog" and one of the dogs they were going to rehome did have SA. The crew was able to work through it before placing the dog. Of course not everyone is going to do that before placing a dog and some people give up dogs for just that reason. When I discovered Lola having it I was thinking what did I get myself into when adopting her but I said to myself and my vet I will deal with it.

I should have known that it was going to happen because she was a velcro dog with the previous owner and she did nothing about that so perhaps I had misspoke when I listed that.

Can someone please kill this flea before it jumps on Lola
Old 10-16-2009, 07:30 PM
Very Food Agressive

I can appreciate that but I still don't think SA makes a dog poorly trained.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:34 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillandSilent View Post
I'm going to respectfully disagree with both of these. I think a well trained dog should not be lunging or snarling at either children or other dogs when they are out in public, but not that they have to enjoy being in the company of either.
Argon is very well trained, and I trust him just about anywhere, but he does not really care for other dogs. We can walk right by them with no reaction, but he doesn't like them. Nor does he like kids. He will tolerate my sisters children, and quietly retreat, no aggression, but that does not mean he is good with them, or would ever choose to be around them.
My guess is that you only have the one dog. Some people have multiple dogs and that is where a dog cannot be DA. As for the children in your life being your sisters children if your dog is staying clear of them then that is fine. It's his way of being good with children. I did not mean that he has to play with them and lick them and such. As long as he is not aggressive around them then there is no problem but some dogs will lunge at children and if the person that has a dog that lunges at children has children over their house then they have to put the dog in a separate room and that is not fair to the dog although the safety of the children should come first. So that might work for a few hours but if they are out of town guests and will be staying a few days then it is not the dog I would want to have around.

As for me personally I would like to have a dog that gets along with other dogs (Lola does and she does very well) because my sisters have dogs and I like to see their dogs playing with Lola. When I am over their house for a barbecue or some other family event I want to be able to bring my dog with me and I would not want to leave her home all day. Being she gets along with their dogs and plays with them this is not a problem and they actually like when I bring her. Some of the stuff Lola does makes for very entertaining humor and she can be very funny at times.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:38 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillandSilent View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy's Valkyrie View Post
I can appreciate that but I still don't think SA makes a dog poorly trained.
Let me repeat so perhaps I had misspoke when I listed that

I do hope that is clear enough as it was stated in the original text with your quote. perhaps you did not see it or misread it.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:55 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
My guess is that you only have the one dog. Some people have multiple dogs and that is where a dog cannot be DA.
Really? I know a lot of people who have multiple dogs and deal with dog aggression and reactivity very well. I agree that that is not a TRAINING issue. Meg would prefer the vast majority of dogs just plain left her alone. She can walk through a crowded agility trial and move through all the dogs without a bit of upset - to me, THAT is training, even moreso than the happy go lucky leaping dogs that love everyone. In fact, coming at it as a person who has a dog who doesn't like other dogs to bother her, I find that very poor training.

Like others said, it's a very subjective list for each person. Heck, I didn't teach Meg to sit for almost two years, and that shows up on just about everyone's list. Why did I care if she could sit on command? She could drop into a down from a run, hold a down or stand stay, and be called off of a running deer. Where does sit fit into my life? She was actively competing in agility before I ever taught sit.

For my own list, 'well-trained' would mean a near rock-solid recall, polite on-leash (couldn't care less if it's a heel, but doesn't pull), non-destructive in the house, house-broken, able to leave people/dogs/cats/anything alone when they are told to, a good "leave it", and a decent stay. A dog like that should be welcome in many environments; everything else is icing on the cake.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:21 PM
Top Dog

FYI my list is not what *I* think makes a dog "well trained" it's what I think of when someone tells me there dog is "well trained". If someone is selling there dog and says he's well trained I don't think he knows a whole bunch of commands I think he knows a couple of the common ones (sit is almost always taught first by average dog owner guy and come is usually something everybody wants there dog to do at some point) and is not aggressive, destructive or otherwise a huge pain.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 10-16-2009, 08:26 PM
Very Food Agressive

Thank you for the clarification. Your list does make plenty of sense for what I would call an ideal dog rather than a well-trained dog.

Last edited by Izzy's Valkyrie; 10-16-2009 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Learned to freaking read -.-
Old 10-16-2009, 08:32 PM
Very Food Agressive

Sorry, I can't get to the edit screen. Lola's dad, I do now see where you said that at the end of the post and am sorry for being snarky!!