Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-14-2009, 01:56 PM
<----Thanks Allie

I'm sorry.

I agree with everyone else that's posted though.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:16 PM
Twin 2.0

Again, agree with Fran.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:49 PM
Top Dog

Definitely integrate your 'kid time' with your 'dog time'. Getting the baby out for walks is great stimulation, and Emma can come along for that. Perhaps go to the park and let Emma run on a long line while you sit with the wee one. You can clicker train while sitting with Katie. Puzzle toys are great too.

There's no reason there can't be plenty of time for dog and kiddo. One of my bosses has a 5 month old and works full time, breastfeeds, has 5 dogs and several horses. I know she sticks her little one in his bjorn while out doing horse and dog stuff and he just hangs out happily. I'm sure she's tired at times, but the dogs and horses can't go without, and she does the majority of their care.

If she knows obedience commands they can be good mental stimulation as well. Have her do a sit or down stay while you're changing the baby, heel down the hall, etc.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:44 PM
F150 and a .30-06

Thanks guys. I have really been trying to spend more time with her.

As for her crate. Arg. She is well crate trained but she whines, screams and yelps if she is in her crate during the day now. All of this has happened since I moved in with my parents. She has spent alot of time here before so it's not a new place.

ETA: She has been spayed for a few years now. She is a good off leash beagle. Meaning not 100% but I trust her in some situations. She knows better than bolting out the door. We worked hard on that.

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 10-14-2009, 04:23 PM
treehugging clicker freak

How long ago did you move? She may be anxious about the move, and still adjusting. Some dogs don't adjust as quickly to things like that compared to others.

(((((hugs))))))) I know that can be frustrating!

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 10-14-2009, 06:02 PM
F150 and a .30-06

We moved in March. But I usually brought her when I came to visit for her entire life.

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 10-14-2009, 06:03 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
She knows better than bolting out the door. We worked hard on that.
Knows better, unfortunately, has nothing to do with it. It is more motivating for her to bolt through the door than not. Behavior will regress. She needs refrseher courses and a better reason to not bolt than to bolt...lots and lots more reinforcements.

Anyhow, I can't offer anything else. Good advice about a little more stimulation and one on one time. Try not reacting to her whining. Wait until she is settled for just a few seconds before you give her what she wants. Good luck with her.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson