Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-13-2009, 07:17 PM
Remembering Casey ♥

Does Nobody else see the pun? "This is Kind of crappy?" .. hahahaha
That is all.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:20 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrose_s View Post
I imagine a dog poo doesn't break down as fast as horse poo and it certainly isn't as good for the vegetation as a horse crap would be.
Tell that to the farmer in PA who also raises puppies. They use in on the farm fields of produce and there is no law against it.

LancasterOnline.com:News:Pup mills in deep dog doo?

Can someone please kill this flea before it jumps on Lola
Old 10-13-2009, 09:23 PM
and Fozzie B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACampbell0304 View Post
One thing, I'd MUCH rather step in horse apples than dog crap. There's a big difference in a carnivore/omnivores fecal matter and herbivore.
I don't know about that... I would much rather step in poop and get it on the bottom of my shoe, than have my shoe completely sunken ankle-deep in a pile of it... whether the poop is from an herbivore or a carnivore. Also, my dogs' poops turn white and dusty within a day in the sun. I have yet to see horse poop do that.

I get irritated when ever I go to the lake, because some of the trails are blocked off by horse poop. You have to walk around it in VERY tall grass and that freaks me out. I have only ever ridden on private property, and I would definitely feel uncomfortable allowing a horse to leave a huge pile in the middle of a walking/biking trail.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 10-13-2009, 09:40 PM
Obey the Toad.

I've never cleaned up after my horse on the trails....

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:54 PM
Salty Sea Dog

I think were all forgetting WHY were supposed to clean up after our dogs...
It's NOT because it looks gross... It's because carnivor waste contains potentially dangerous Bactria! Some of that Bactria can cause blindness, sour stomach and respitory issues...
The waste of a herbivores does not contain née he number of potentially serious illness causing bacteria, there's a reason it's not suggested to use dog poop in your compost bin, yet horse and cow manure is perfet for the garden... ( raw fed dogs don't hav as many but here's still nasties in there)

YES I think it's inconsiderate of riders allowing mass piles of poop to build up in one spot...
And if a special trail has been provided for horses I think they should use them...
But requiring a rider to scoop after their horse is dangerous and will remove many riders from the enjoyment of trail riding...

Again all poop is "gross" but the reason we scoop after our dogs is not be ausw it looks yicky or is inconvenient when st

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 10-13-2009, 09:55 PM
Salty Sea Dog

When stepped in...
It's because carnivore poop can be a serious health hazard!
Carnivore keepers often are required to wear masks when doing pen clean outs...

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 10-13-2009, 11:39 PM
Active Pup

Actually, the reason I clean up after my dog has nothing to do with germs, disease, rules, or regulations. It has more to do with taking responsibility for my pet and being considerate of others.

I may be a bit old fashioned, but if I make a mess, I feel I'm responsible for cleaning it up. If I'm walking a dog and the dog makes a mess, then I feel I'm responsible for cleaning up that mess.

So if Tessa squats and poops in the middle of a trail, I'm going to clean up the mess because I don't want to inconvenience other folks sharing the trail. After reading all the other posts in this thread, I don't see why the same common courtesy wouldn't apply to folks riding horses on a trail they share with walkers, joggers, and bicycle riders.

So I guess my feeling is that if someone riding a horse is going to leave any "road apples" where they might fall, that person should probably stick to paths reserved exclusively for horses and stay away from paths shared with folks walking, jogging, or riding a bike.

I really appreciate the responses everyone has made to my original post - the letter I'll be sending to the park district is going to be a LOT more effective because of what I've read in this thread.

Have a GREAT day!

Rob
Old 10-13-2009, 11:48 PM
Top Dog

I have ridden horses that I don't notice when they poop. Others will stop to poop. The horse I currently ride - there's no way I could clean up piles on a trail ride (not that I trail ride with him, but still...). I have to have someone hold him to mount. I also use a fairly large mounting block to get on, as he's tall and spooky and I'm short and fat (and uncoordinated). He spooks at everything. To have a bag with me on top of his is asking for a disaster.

As far a carnivore vs herbivore poop...I'd rather bathe in herbivore poop than walk through carnivore poop. I used to volunteer at the zoo. I cleaned the hippo pit, which involves spraying large amounts of hippo poop with a high-power hose. It splatters everywhere. Surely I have ingested my fair share. That does not disgusts me though. Ingesting even a small amount of carnivore poop though...ew.

ETA: If you regularly go where there are no trash cans, you may consider a PooBoss utility vest. It's a vest for your dog that can hold a roll of bags (has a dispensing hole), and has a mesh pocked to put the used bag in. It also has another pocket for cell phone, keys, whatever. The dog really doesn't mind carrying his own poo on his back lol It's also reflective.

agreendog.com - Home Page

Last edited by Saeleofu; 10-14-2009 at 12:05 AM.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:36 AM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps Fish View Post
Actually, the reason I clean up after my dog has nothing to do with germs, disease, rules, or regulations. It has more to do with taking responsibility for my pet and being considerate of others.

I may be a bit old fashioned, but if I make a mess, I feel I'm responsible for cleaning it up. If I'm walking a dog and the dog makes a mess, then I feel I'm responsible for cleaning up that mess.

So if Tessa squats and poops in the middle of a trail, I'm going to clean up the mess because I don't want to inconvenience other folks sharing the trail. After reading all the other posts in this thread, I don't see why the same common courtesy wouldn't apply to folks riding horses on a trail they share with walkers, joggers, and bicycle riders.

So I guess my feeling is that if someone riding a horse is going to leave any "road apples" where they might fall, that person should probably stick to paths reserved exclusively for horses and stay away from paths shared with folks walking, jogging, or riding a bike.

I really appreciate the responses everyone has made to my original post - the letter I'll be sending to the park district is going to be a LOT more effective because of what I've read in this thread.

Have a GREAT day!

Rob
See this is where i have issues. Why not learn to deal? For example I have had loose dogs and even leashed dogs harrass my horses. Your dog rolls in poop its icky. Your dog spooks my horse and we go crashing through trees, or horse rears and goes over I can die. Dirt bikers are usually decent but I have had some that wizz right up behind my horse and pass with in inches. Not only is that dangerous for the rider, its dangerous for them. Hikers are usually no problem. (unless they are a hoard of children who then try to swarm the horse.. but that has only happened once)

Horse poop isn't 'icky' it doesn't stick to things the way dog poop does, it isn't 'squishy' so you can't loose a shoe in it, it doesn't carry the same bacteria.

Horses were here first as well. How about you stay off trails if you can't train your dog to stay out of the road apples? (the old train don't complain motto) No one is making you use those trails. You want to stop people from using the trails all together (the riders) because you can't walk around some horse poo. Its simple and hygenic to pick up after a dog, its not simple and creates no hygene problem for horses.

The reason it is responsible to pick up dog poo is because it is a hygiene problem.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:29 AM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymomma View Post
Does Nobody else see the pun? "This is Kind of crappy?" .. hahahaha
That is all.
LOL I had just noticed this now, then saw that you had already mentioned it

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13