Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-13-2009, 03:29 PM
We are Home.

I couldnt have gotten on and off ranger like that when we were first riding he was 17 hands high and Im 5 ft tall. But we needed to do it for training purposes.

Plus it was dangerous to be using a tool or something and hold him much less tie him to a tree.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 10-13-2009, 03:33 PM
Just try me..

oh poo.. lol i edited my post as fast as I could you managed to post before I could finish (though it wasn't exactly the same as my edit)
Old 10-13-2009, 03:35 PM
We are Home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post

edited to add... its also very hard on a horse to be mounted from the ground without someone providing counter pressure on the opposite stirrup... particularly if the rider is heavy or has to struggle into the saddle. The way a saddle is designed when you put all your weight on the stirrup you are in pulling on the horse's spine (towards you). The gullet of the saddle straddles the spine, and the pressure is such that it works out to be very significant.

I have had some serious instructors over the years who would not let us mount from the ground (it is imperative to know how.. in case you need to in an emerg) It just isn't worth the chiro bills.

So having trail riders getting on and off their horses regularly is likely going to be detrimental to the horses, unless there are things to stand on handy.

Oh wait.. why not just say No to the horses.. that is the way things seem to go these days.
Exactly I have NEVER mounted right off the ground except in a emergency and I always tried to do it other ways.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:07 PM
Top Dog

I'd say no for horseback riders, because I mean... a horseback rider cannot possibly hold on to a grocery bag sized bag while still riding, especially how there is no garbage cans, that would suck.

Jenna, my dog. Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever. Five and a half years old.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:13 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
I have had some serious instructors over the years who would not let us mount from the ground (it is imperative to know how.. in case you need to in an emerg) It just isn't worth the chiro bills.
Wow, in the five years I've been riding our riding instructors ALWAYS told us to mount from the ground, because in show competitions, you do not have a choice, they don't provide stools or anything.

As for the damage, yes, you do have to put all your weight on the stirrup, but no it will not damage your horse's spine as long as you mount properly. Any good saddle pad will protect the saddle from creasing into the spine.

Edit: Unless it is a person who weighs like almost 200 pounds lets say and the horse is under 15hh ... then, alright yes it could. For the most part though anyone weighing under 130 about will not damage a horse's spine if they are at least 15hh. As long as you are mounting the right way and the saddle pad is in the right place, and that the girth is not too tight or loose.

Jenna, my dog. Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever. Five and a half years old.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:22 PM
Just try me..

No we are talking warmboods here. And almost everyone I know takes a little block (even though most shows have a mounting block) or simply gets a leg up, or have someone hold the stirrup. You don't see many people mounting from the ground.. (except at the western shows I have been too.. but the horses are all pretty small in relation to the riders)

I have been told this by vets, chiropracters, top riders (ie olympic level) I believe I read something about it in a vet journal or on a vet university site (or maybe it was kentucky reaseach) And it was tall (in relation to rider) horses mounted from the ground.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:05 PM
overdogged

one of the places i walk my dogs sometimes is a rails to trails- nice cindered pathway with grass/mulch to the side (and appropriately wide for a horse except at road crossings). horses are supposed to stay off the cindered pathway but they often don't. i don't care so much as my dogs are on leashes and don't get access to the poop, but i wonder how parents with little kids feel about it.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 10-13-2009, 07:12 PM
We are Home.

you keep a eye on your kid and tell them to leave it alone????

I dont worry about bev when we go home, I just keep her from it.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:40 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boemy View Post
It might be hard to NOTICE every time they poop, let alone pick it up.

Not if you feed the horse beefaroni like Kramer did on Seinfeld

Can someone please kill this flea before it jumps on Lola
Old 10-13-2009, 07:48 PM
BusterLove

I don't have a huge problem with people not cleaning up after their horses. Horse poo isn't gross, they are a herbivore so its completley different to the fecal matter of a carnivorous/omnivorous animal like a dog. I imagine a dog poo doesn't break down as fast as horse poo and it certainly isn't as good for the vegetation as a horse crap would be.