Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-13-2009, 01:25 PM
Active Pup

This was my first experience walking on a path shared with horses, and I have no idea what the "proper" etiquette is for cleaning up "road apples."

After mulling it over, I'm beginning to feel that if a horse is on a path shared with walkers, joggers, and bicycle riders, it is awfully inconsiderate for the rider to leave a mess in the middle of the trail (yeah, just as inconsiderate as folks who don't clean up after their dogs).

So I think I will send a note to the park district, suggesting that, regardless of their policy concerning "road apples" left on trails designated for horses only, riders be encouraged to clean up after their horses on any trails where horses share the space with walkers, joggers and bicycle riders.

I don't know about other areas of the country, but I've been seeing more and more "No Dogs Allowed" signs in community parks and large green areas. I'm sure part of the reason for the increased restriction on dogs is the number of folks who don't clean up after their pets.

I very much like the idea of shared use of trails. Just as I'd hate to see a "No Dogs Allowed" sign on this particular trail because a sizable number of dog owners didn't clean up after their pets, I'd also hate to see horses banned from the trail because a bunch of people complained about "road apples" left in a shared usage area.

Have a GREAT day!

Rob
Old 10-13-2009, 01:34 PM
Big Dog

The trails at our favorite park are frequented by horses as well and they really leave a ton of crap behind. It doesn't bother me so much but as the trails are primarily for runners i could see it getting pretty annoying. I wouldn't really expect people to get off their horses to clean it up and I like the fact that we can all share the same trail so I guess its just something to deal with.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:57 PM
Taxiderpy

Meh, to me it's just poop. The logistics of cleaning up after an animal you're riding on is pretty ridiculous, unless it will tolerate one of those diaper things.

Then again, elk, deer, and bear frequent parks and trails around here, and elk crap is somewhat comparable to horse crap.

We gave up on Charlie rolling in/eating poop. lol, he jumps in the ocean daily anyway, so we're resigned to having a dog that smells like a rancid mule no matter what we do.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:05 PM
We are Home.

I just taught all my dogs to leave it alone. I grew up on a cattle and horse farm and we rarely had any issues with it once we trained them.

It did take alot of work at first though.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 10-13-2009, 02:06 PM
Just try me..

For those of you who haven't spent time riding horses... some horses its pretty hard to tell they they are 'going' Its not like they stop, you can be trotting or cantering along (its usually pretty easy to tell when they are walking) and just 'go'

As well what do you think people should do with it? Horses are dangerous enough creatures as it is, lets not try to make trail riders carry things, or make horses wear diapers. A little horse poop is a lot less hazardous than a spooking bolting panicking horse mowing down walkers and tossing its rider..

Dog poop is much nastier than horse poop. (and yes I pick up after my dogs.. but not my horses)
Old 10-13-2009, 02:10 PM
~Lisa~

I just think its nasty to be riding down a trail on my bike an dhaving to go through "road mines" of horse crap. I dont enjoy it and yes I do think it is ignorent to leave it be if this is a trail used by mountain bikers, dog walks and families out for a stroll in the woods and then horse back riders.

I understand you dont always notice. I rode horses for years (though havnt been on one in years now lol) so I understand you dont always notice.

Even just flinging it in to the bush would be better. I dont care what kind of poop it is. espeacially here where the have threatened to close the dog park due to all the horse poop. so yes I find it rude. becuase I love the dog park, and so do many others. and to be closed down becuase other domestic animals are coming in is rude of them.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:10 PM
We are Home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
For those of you who haven't spent time riding horses... some horses its pretty hard to tell they they are 'going' Its not like they stop, you can be trotting or cantering along (its usually pretty easy to tell when they are walking) and just 'go'

As well what do you think people should do with it? Horses are dangerous enough creatures as it is, lets not try to make trail riders carry things, or make horses wear diapers. A little horse poop is a lot less hazardous than a spooking bolting panicking horse mowing down walkers and tossing its rider..

Dog poop is much nastier than horse poop. (and yes I pick up after my dogs.. but not my horses)

I had a horse like that no matter what I did he would flip at something like that and you couldnt tell when he was going anyway.

Ive never cleaned up after a horse besides the paddock and stalls.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 10-13-2009, 02:21 PM
Resident fainting goat

horseback riding on trails here is fairly common and what they do is when the horse poops, they get off the hose and use a rock or something to push it off to the side, some of them even kick it off to the side then just wash their boots off in a puddle...
its not picking it up, but atleast its not in the middle of the trail where people are walking... and its nice of them to be considerate
Old 10-13-2009, 02:24 PM
~Lisa~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fransheska101 View Post
horseback riding on trails here is fairly common and what they do is when the horse poops, they get off the hose and use a rock or something to push it off to the side, some of them even kick it off to the side then just wash their boots off in a puddle...
its not picking it up, but atleast its not in the middle of the trail where people are walking... and its nice of them to be considerate
exactly. I would love if people atleast did this. Nothing like mountain biking and going down a steep hill, not seeing that lovley pile, only to spin righ tthrough it. nasty.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:26 PM
Just try me..

Once again you would have to notice... hmm and just thinking, it would mean a lot less trial riders (at least the ones I know.. they can't get on and off horses like they could when they were young)

edited to add... its also very hard on a horse to be mounted from the ground without someone providing counter pressure on the opposite stirrup... particularly if the rider is heavy or has to struggle into the saddle. The way a saddle is designed when you put all your weight on the stirrup you are in pulling on the horse's spine (towards you). The gullet of the saddle straddles the spine, and the pressure is such that it works out to be very significant.

I have had some serious instructors over the years who would not let us mount from the ground (it is imperative to know how.. in case you need to in an emerg) It just isn't worth the chiro bills.

So having trail riders getting on and off their horses regularly is likely going to be detrimental to the horses, unless there are things to stand on handy.

Oh wait.. why not just say No to the horses.. that is the way things seem to go these days.