Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-16-2009, 05:23 PM
Very Food Agressive

Angry Izzy got "jumped"

And by that I mean beat up at the dog park.

Backstory: August was lease changing month here at out complex and a new couple moved in upstairs from us that has a red and white pitbull. Pitbulls are BANNED in our complex or I would have one so that already irked me. I have th feeling they called her a "mix" which would have been fine, if she was well behaved. She's not. This dog will bark and growl at anything in the front lawn of our building from her owner's patio and growls from the other side of the door. She doesn't seem to be too bad on leash walking by but I tend to keep Izzy at a distance on purpose.

Anyways, today we get to the dog park and I see a dog that looks exactly like the pittie from upstairs and a young woman who looks a lot like the one I see walking her. We get to the fence and the pittie starts growling *She seems to be fine with the other dog in the park at this point btw* I told Justin not to let Izzy off leash since I don't trust this dog.... And he of course lets her off because the pit stopped growling for a split second.

Bad idea. The dog rushes into the gated entrance area and goes after Izzy and I am beyond mad at Justin and the dog at this point. But the dog was going after Izzy's neck and my poor submissive dog wasn't even trying to defend herself. She kept trying to get behind me and away from the freaking attack dog. So what do I do? I kicked the dog.... Which, by the way didn't phase her one single bit. Tell you what, I don't know what I would have done if my kick had gotten her attention because that is one well muscled pittie. Anyways, the owner is just kind of standing off from them for a few seconds seeing if it will stop while I'm screaming at the dog to get off. Eventually the owner grabs her after they break and Izzy goes in the park only to be picked on by the now very riled up other dog. UGH So we leave those heathens and go over to the small dog section (There wasn't anyone there)

Thankfully the owner of evil dog left the park shortly there after and the barking dog mostly calmed down so we could go over when a nice BC arrived. Barking dog went after Izzy a couple times but didn't do much more than bark and snap (Which the BC wasn't having any of lol)

But yeah, I was sooooo mad. And the fact that I know where this dog lives and the rule of the complex since I live here makes me wonder what I should do.... I mean, I guess the dog could be passed in as a service dog but OBVIOUSLY isn't well enough behaved to have that title and this is the first dog ever to go after Izzy and not let off once she submitted.... Should I ask my apartment complex about it? Is that some sort of evil back stabbing? I just don't think it fair to the dogs in this complex to have to worry about walking by this DA already banned dog.

Lacquer Ninja

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:36 PM
Salty Sea Dog

i hate people that "sneak" pets in already, and these people just sound like idiots, id personally write a letter to management.
if this dog was at least somewhat well behaved, fine...id be annoyed (as its that kind of sneaking which gets ALL dogs banned)
but the dog is obviously disruptive, and the dog attacked your dog even after yours submitted (which is just being a bully in doggy behaviour world), and all its owner/handler could do was stand there like a lemon...mabe she was in shock, but to stand there and do nothing when you can see theres a huge issue and potnetially deadly situation is just ridiculous...

my biggest concern though is the fact that there blatantly breaking a rule that could result in ALL dogs being baned from the building, AND the dog is being disruptive...which will just draw more attention.

i do want to say i love bully breeds, and i dont think banning a breed is right...BUT i also feel those that try to sneak their way around the rules just ruin it for all...

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 10-16-2009, 05:42 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

It might be evil and back-stabbing but if I were in your shoes, I think I would tell the apartment manager that this dog in your apartment complex attacked your dog at the dog park, and that you see it barking from the owner's patio, and now you're worried.
I don't know if I would bring up the dog's breed though. That's sort of secondary to the situation IMO.

Did this dog's owner even apologize?? I just don't understand why people are not falling all over themselves apologizing for their dog's behaviour, unless they are so busy trying to get their dog under control they don't have time to do so (which it doesn't sound like that was the case here.)

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA NAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 10-16-2009, 05:50 PM
Top Dog

I wouldn't call the dog evil..DA may come naturaly. As for the owner, they are being very irresposible and setting a bad example for the breed. Is talking to the owner an option? I know some people are just ignorant, but maybe this person just hasn't had the education or the opportunity to be educated on the breed. If this isn't an option, I would also suggest talking to your management. Getting the dog kicked out shouldn't be your first priority, though, because it would be even sadder if the dog went to a shelter and died because no one took the time to train it.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:53 PM
Top Dog

Honestly, I understand why you're pissed and I'm not trying to dismiss the situation.

It is normal for dogs to bark at people off the patio. Should they be trained not to, of course. My dog will bark at people in our front yard. A couple times he barked at the neighbours from the deck when they got too close to the fence. I tell him to be quiet and he obeys... if he were in an apartment he would certainly be inclined to bark off the patio and at people passing in the hallways. That's just him being a good dog... but a little misguided.

Most people who have dogs are not uber into dogs. They just have dogs as pets and that's fine. It could be that this dog lived in a house before and isn't used to having so many people in its space. It needs some training... now the owner could be trying and not know how, or she could not see it as a problem... yet.

As for the dog park incident, well, sometimes dogs get into spats. This is a pit bull. If it was actually trying to attack your dog your dog would be pretty messed up.

The owner sounds like she probably doesn't know much about dogs. There are a lot of people who consider dog disagreements "dogs being dogs"... is it because they are inherently rude and don't care, sometimes. I think a lot of the time though, it's someone who doesn't really know what is considered proper dog etiquette.

Personally I wouldn't call management on her. Live and let live, right? I would go over there and explain that her pit bull is noisy and she needs to work on that, and say that it isn't a good idea to bring dogs with an inclination for aggression to a dog park.

Is she polite and accepting of advice? yes/no
Does she take what you say to heart and put an effort in? yes/no
No to either of those and go to management.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:01 PM
Very Food Agressive

Beanie: We didn't really give her time to apologize. She also didn't seem surprised or to care that the dog was growling through the fence But after the second dog showed unkind intentions as well we just turned around and left. I don't care if you're sorry, if you know your dog can be DA, why would you let it growl and intimidate another (Younger) dog at the entrance?! I wasn't taking chances though and she did at least have the good sense to leave the park right after we did. (Which, I think may have been due in part to me saying "That's the dog from upstairs" and she didn't want trouble)

Now, I know the dog is a pitt or at least a pitt mix that lives upstairs. I know for a fact that it barks at any dog it can see outside the window and her owner has to take her inside for it to stop. I do not know for a fact that it was the same one at the park. I mean yes it had the same colors and the owner was the same age/sex/hair color but I can't honestly say for sure that it is the same dog. I don't want to cause trouble based on a dog fight with a separate dog. However, this dog is disruptive and obviously of a banned breed. Urgh, I almost want to go upstairs and knock on their door but it looks like they're gone (Lights are all out). Not that it would help, what am I going to do, ask if it's the same dog then tell them I'm reporting them and give them a headstart to move the dog? Yeah no.

I think I will write a letter to/visit the office and see what, if anything can be done. They've already threatened to take away our dog rights since some people were being slobs and not picking up their waste They really don't want to ban pets though because they'd lose half their residents as their biggest selling point on their web page is their "Pet Friendliness".

Thanks!

ETA: I missed two other posts when I was typing this sorry if you guys didn't get responses!

I could go see if it's the same person but honestly, not a lot of people will care. It's sort of like, why bring public problems into their household? And if it isn't the same dog I'm going to feel like an idiot.

The dog may not being aggressive on the patio but is is a banned breed and they aren't allowed for the same reasons Rotties, GSDs, and Dobes aren't (Idiocy in my opinion). I have a thing for following the rules and it bothers me when people overtly break them. I guess if I didn't have this bad experience I would be letting it go but now I'm worked up.

And what if they ban all dogs because of an incident this dog may cause in the future? I'm not giving up my dog for this poor show of ownership.

Lacquer Ninja

Old 10-16-2009, 06:15 PM
Very Food Agressive

Also: I do have to say I resent the fact that it wasn't a "real" attack by a pitt if my dog didn't get messed up. Uh, no, I just didn't give the other dog time to do damage. The whole thing was over in a minute or less and Izzy has an awesome thick ruff with extra hair and skin that the dog was going after.

I know you said you weren't dismissing it but that seems like an ignorant comment to me. Doesn't matter what breed the dog was, if it's biting, growling and barking and not letting go with a purpose, it's attacking mine.

Lacquer Ninja

Old 10-16-2009, 06:19 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy's Valkyrie View Post
Also: I do have to say I resent the fact that it wasn't a "real" attack by a pitt if my dog didn't get messed up. Uh, no, I just didn't give the other dog time to do damage. The whole thing was over in a minute or less and Izzy has an awesome thick ruff with extra hair and skin that the dog was going after.

I know you said you weren't dismissing it but that seems like an ignorant comment to me. Doesn't matter what breed the dog was, if it's biting, growling and barking and not letting go with a purpose, it's attacking mine.
I'm sorry. I got the impression that it was snarling and snapping and no actual holds. I completely retract what I said about it being a "spat" and feel that it is a more serious issue.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:24 PM
Very Food Agressive

Sorry, I just really got upset when it happened because I honestly was afraid of punctures from this dog. Didn't mean to jump on you. I'm pretty sure Izzy's bruised But nothing some extra loves won't help.

On the bright side, shes not afraid of other dogs and is still very loving, not acting off at all.

Lacquer Ninja

Old 10-16-2009, 06:40 PM
overdogged

I have to say I'm kind of uncomfortable with the language in your original post- the dog being "evil" and such. The dog is just being a pit bull. It's not her fault she's owned by idiots. As for your last sentence, well, what if she were not a banned breed? Would it really change the situation? And you want to own a pit bull?

This is yet another example of why I don't like dog parks, why I'd never take a dog of any breed to a dog park, and why pit bulls don't belong in dog parks. That poor dog was set up to fail from the beginning. And even though she had a hold on your dog, that she didn't leave puncture wounds says that she was using some amount of restraint, even though your dog has a thick ruff. Dogs who want to put holes in other dogs do so, no matter what the breed.

I don't know whether I'd report the dog or not. Is this dog park in your complex or is it a separate park? Because if the dog was off leash in a dog park where any dog is allowed, well, it sucks and it's not at all appropriate that the dog was there, but fights happen at dog parks. If the same event happened in your front yard when your dog was leashed and the other dog was illegally offleash, I'd absolutely report it, but you were both in an offleash dog park, and IMO being there means accepting some level of risk.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?