Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-12-2009, 07:21 PM
Navy Sister

Default I cannot teach either one of my dogs to walk nicely on a leash

Yes, it's official. I think I'm giving up. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but neither dog will pay attention and learn! Not when I'm clicking, not when I'm handing out treats, not when I'm praising I've been working with Hailey and we just seem to take one step forward and two steps back. This sucks. Big time....

knows that we know, and holds us responsible to act.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:30 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Are you taking out one at a time to work? If not that would be the first step. I can't work two dogs together on anything and make it count,

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 10-12-2009, 07:33 PM
treehugging clicker freak

I agree with the above. Also, have they been exercised before training commences? Its hard to expect them to focus if they have tons of pent up energy

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 10-12-2009, 07:42 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

In addition to both of the above, have they been taught attention without walking?

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 10-12-2009, 08:05 PM
and Fozzie B!

Is it that they pull constantly? Or just won't pay ANY attention to you?

If it's the first, I highly recommend the "be a tree" method. Freeze every time the leash is taut. Don't move until the leash is loose again. It is an incredible test of your patience, but it worked when nothing else would with my stubborn little Corgi mix. It has been years since, and I rarely have to be a tree anymore. I can watch him thinking about it and slowing down before he reaches the end of the leash.

If it's the second, you need to (1) work in a less distracting environment - usually, a dog who cannot focus on you is over threshold or overwhelmed. and/or (2) make yourself more exciting! Move faster, speak in a more upbeat voice, dance around, bring along toys, get higher value treats (hotdogs, cheese, cheetos, etc), and make you more interesting and rewarding than sniffing bushes or whatever.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 10-12-2009, 08:05 PM
Show Dog

I feel your pain. Pedro is embarrassing in public on a leash if he's not in a harness. I could have steak on a stick and he'd be more into the speck of dust floating by.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:12 PM
Resident fainting goat

I had the same problem with kenya and the issue turned out to be ME more than her. I kept trying a training method for a week, decided it didn't work and then going on to something else

once I stuck with one easy training method, she did catch on.

I used the easiest lol the BE A TREE. she pulls, I stop, she pulls, I stop. She pulls toward a dog, I turn around and walk away in the other direction. Pulling is because they want to go somewhere, once they learn that it doesn't get them anywhere.. they just stop.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:13 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

what worked best with my dogs is to just stop when the leash gets tight. if they pull they have to sit. so pulling+sit and wait.
of course they want to walk, and get to that squirrel faster! so they know not to pull me.

now barking on a walk... thats different. Lynn barks over excitement on walks! Luckily she stops about 5 minutes after the walk starts.

just be consistent. Lynn pretty well stopped pulling on the leash after just a few walks.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:16 PM
Navy Sister

Since I'm only trying to train Hailey right now (I tried to train Molly months ago and stopped because I was so frustrated ) I'm only taking her, so there's no Molly to distract her.

She usually hasn't been exercised right before I take her out, but that's tricky because she's a difficult one to get tired out. She'll play fetch, but only for a couple throws, then she's done and she wants to go inside and lay around.

Quote:
have they been taught attention without walking?
I'm not sure what you mean...

Quote:
Is it that they pull constantly? Or just won't pay ANY attention to you?
More the first one. I get her attention, put her in a sit, good. But every time we start to move, she'll start off running, then dart in front of me from side to side (often tripping me), her attention is all over the place and she doesn't respond to her name, the lure of a treat, or a jerk on the leash. I know I'm supposed to stick to one method, but when she doesn't respond it's so freakin aggrivating!!!

And then she'll see someone, or hear a dog barking blocks away and she'll lean on the leash and whimper, and won't listen to me.

Also, it's probably not helping that the tempature has dropped quite sharply the past few weeks and I'm freezing every time I'm outside with her. It's quite unpleasant. I don't move enough to keep myself warm, but it's take 2 steps, stop, get Hailey's attention again, which could take several minutes, then take 2 more steps...
Old 10-12-2009, 09:25 PM
Navy Sister

After thinking about it a bit more, I think the environment is too distracting. She was doing pretty good in the backyard, where we had our first few sessions, she was much more attentive...