Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-12-2009, 09:57 AM
Just try me..

lol this thread needs this clip YouTube - Building Drive by 'being' a Bad Dog Trainer That dog is very well mannered and very under control but is very much a maniac for the tug toy!
Old 10-12-2009, 10:02 AM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Just to add...out of all my dogs - current and past - the one with the most aggression is also the one least interested in playing tug.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 10-12-2009, 10:20 AM
Top Dog

Thanks Adojrts. Back atcha!

I don't think there's a correlation between playing tug and being rough with toys. My dogs all are hard chewers and will destroy toys. Even little, wee Chulita. She won't play tug though. I play, "bitey hand" (something I wouldn't do with most dogs) because she pretends like she's going to bite me, touches my wiggling fingers, then spits them out. She will not bite my fingers. It's a game. She grabs my fingers in her paws when I hold her in my arms like a baby....on her back. She pulls them to her mouth, then spits them out. She wags and gets that super silly expression on her face. Talk about bite inhibition. She won't lay a tooth on my skin. (of course, she doesn't have all her teeth. lol) Anyhow, she knows the game and never escalates to something rougher.

My Lab played tug but had a soft mouth. My Doberman played tug, but not with so much gusto as Toker will. She really gets into it. He would chew stuffies to smiterines in seconds. Jose` plays tug but also chews toys hard.

Chewing and pulling, as in tug are two different actions with two different purposes. Chewing to exercise jaws and teeth on a bone is a different thing than playing a game, pulling something.

I just don't know where the connection is with playing tug or not....and a soft mouth or not chewing up toys. Bite inhibition is just that. If you bite a person or another dog, don't bite too hard. Who said anything about chewing Nyla bones or other toys? No one told my dogs not to chew their bones as hard as they wanted. But you lay a tooth on my skin hard while playing tug or anything else, forget it. You're in the dog house. LOL.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-12-2009, 10:46 AM
Top Dog

I loved that clip Dekka!
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-12-2009, 10:51 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Maybe that was why my boss was so adamant about it...we did raise field trial contenders and sold hunting dogs. Soft mouths were an absolute must.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 10-12-2009, 11:01 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Maybe that was why my boss was so adamant about it...we did raise field trial contenders and sold hunting dogs. Soft mouths were an absolute must.
What's the connection? Like it was said, there are a few of us who had Labs....hunting dogs that had very soft mouths in appropriate situations, such as bringing a duck back or taking a treat from our hands. But chewing on a bone or crushing bones, as in a raw food diet wouldn't work very well if they didn't chew hard. Why would a hard chewer or a puller (as in tug of war game) equal a dog who mangles a bird that he retrieves or bites someone's hand when taking a treat from it? It doesn't. All my dogs are hard, powerful chewers and Toker plays tug with terrific drive and gusto....makes that dog in Dekka's video look like a sloth, knows the rules of the game. But you should see how Toker takes a treat. She is soooooooo careful and gentle...just uses her lips...never lays a tooth on me. And she takes the tug toy from my hand gently, then gets into it.

Soft mouths, are, in part, genetic. Labs and such were selected to have a tendency to having soft mouths. It can be developed too, to a point.

Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Doberluv; 10-12-2009 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:22 AM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkie View Post
That sounds very much along the lines of the people who tried to tell me not to do protection training and herding with the same dog...They somehow believed that the protection training would make the dog aggressive with the stock or that herding would make him reluctant to do more than circle and stare at the helper .

I haven't yet seen a dog who doesn't know the difference between a helper and a sheep. Likewise with retrievers - they can most definitely play differentiate between a tug toy and a duck.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 10-12-2009, 11:40 AM
Top Dog

Your old boss may have known a lot about dogs and may have been very good with them, trained them well. But come on Smkie....he was wrong about this one thing. It is possible for someone to be very good in an area and still miss the boat in one or two facets of that area. I know this first hand. I am learning all the time. I think I'm pretty good with dogs, but there is always something I'm not good at or didn't realize. Just admit it and get it over with.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-12-2009, 11:54 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgipower View Post
That sounds very much along the lines of the people who tried to tell me not to do protection training and herding with the same dog...They somehow believed that the protection training would make the dog aggressive with the stock or that herding would make him reluctant to do more than circle and stare at the helper .

I haven't yet seen a dog who doesn't know the difference between a helper and a sheep. Likewise with retrievers - they can most definitely play differentiate between a tug toy and a duck.
That is so true. You hear it all the time. "Protection training will cause aggression." Yeah, dogs totally get the difference between things like that. Otherwise you'd have retrievers killing and eating the duck because dogs use to hunt or scavange to eat. My Lab wasn't used or trained as a hunting dog. She did catch and kill wild rabbits where we lived and sometimes ate them. Had she been trained to retrieve ducks like a hunting dog, she wouldn't have eaten them, right.

Dogs evolved with and along side humans and have learned things. They really do get it. And not only that, but they also have developed differentiating predatory motor patterns. Border collies will eye, stalk, chase but not kill. This is to do with onset and offset of brain development and the fact that dogs are neotenic. We're talking domestic dogs here, not wild wolves. They can differentiate between a game of tug and aggression. The two are not synonomous. Why would a dog that is having fun with his owner want to be aggressive to his owner?

Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-12-2009, 12:07 PM
Twin 2.0

I use to play tug with Virgo, I've seen her kill rabbits and a few rodents and yet, she had an amazingly soft mouth when necessary.

I play tug with Sawyer all the time, he's not hugely into it, but it serves my purpose of teaching him to listen and hold sit/down-stays when riled up. There are rules to follow.