Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-12-2009, 08:34 PM
overdogged

Pat Miller has a section on tug in her Play With Your Dog book. She places herself firmly in the pro-tug camp. I think it's interesting that she also notes that rules need to be more strictly enforced with dogs who are generally more rowdy and unruly and less strictly enforced with dogs who are of a generally more gentle nature. Common sense, I suppose, but it was nice to see that spelled out by someone like Pat Miller. Common sense not being all that common and all.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 10-12-2009, 08:45 PM
Top Dog

That is why I didn't make a big deal of it with little Splash, my foster Beagle. He was exceedingly gentle, liked to play, but just sort of naturally went along with the program without a lot of hullabaloo. Pat Miller is wonderful. Thanks for bringing her up.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-13-2009, 09:39 AM
Squishy face

I play tug with my dogs too. Benji loves playing tug with his plushy toys. Sometimes I drag him around the floor. Sometimes we play bitey hands, where I let him mouth my hands in fun. He had no bite inhibition whatsoever when we first got him, but he's really gentle now.

Daisy won't play tug with plushy toys (never would), she barely grips them, and then lets go when I pull. She will play tug outside with the Frisbee though. Sometimes I lift her up in the air, and then she releases, and I throw it.

If it means anything, Daisy, the one who won't play tug with plushies, is the one who is underconfident and fear aggressive. Benji is much more confident, and has a much better temperament.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 10-13-2009, 01:19 PM
Top Dog

Well, I havn't read through all the posts, so this may be repeated, but dogs play tug o' war with each other all the time, so I think it is a natural health play. I've never seen any mean because of it. And my relatives think Dobermans are just absent minded killers who will soon turn on us also. We can't make them believe otherwise so sometimes you just have to let them go and believe what they want to believe.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:40 PM
and Fozzie B!

Personally, I LOVE tugging with my boys... very little gets them more excited and playful. And in all of the games of tug they play together, they have not once shown an inkling of aggression. I have taught them that the game ends when/if they are getting too growly or mouthy, it reinforces a rock-solid "release", and they have taught each other awesome bite inhibition with tugging games as well. They can play tug together with a toy that is literally just big enough for part of it to fit in each of their mouths with no problems.

The first time they played together was tug of war.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 10-14-2009, 05:53 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartgonzo View Post
Personally, I LOVE tugging with my boys... very little gets them more excited and playful. And in all of the games of tug they play together, they have not once shown an inkling of aggression. I have taught them that the game ends when/if they are getting too growly or mouthy, it reinforces a rock-solid "release", and they have taught each other awesome bite inhibition with tugging games as well. They can play tug together with a toy that is literally just big enough for part of it to fit in each of their mouths with no problems.

The first time they played together was tug of war.

Let the games begin!

Adorable picture. Though, I can just see the one turning aggrsesive on you. I mean, this is serious business.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-14-2009, 06:02 PM
Top Dog

I have played Tug of war with Sal (I used to with Athena) for almost 9 years and he hasn't become "Mean" yet. I'll keep researching this theory and I'll get back to you................

Seriously, I have played tug with every dog I have ever had. I had a Rottie and I played "Bite my arm with the sleeve" and he completely understood it was a game. Dogs are way smarter than we give them credit. Moose (The Rottie) always knew the sleeve was game time and never ever took it for anything else.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:49 AM

A lot of people said the same thing about raw.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:11 AM
The Littlest Hound

Quote:
Originally Posted by iibao View Post
A lot of people said the same thing about raw.

THIS! My dog is apparently becoming slowly bloodthirsty because I feed her raw meat! She's been on the diet for almost 5 years now, so I do mean SLOWLY... but she's a basset hound and she does everything slowly!

Don't let her fool you - quite soon she will turn on me, experts have assured me

Also, she refuses to play tug. She is already too mean?

The Plotts:
UKC GRCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Liz
CCH 'PR' Jebb's Bayou Rage CA

And the "off-colored" hounds:
Daisy Duke Garrett CGC, RA & my <3 dog (basset)

Very Missed:
UKC GRCH CCH 'PR' Skyplott Teddy Bearhug
UKC CH CCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Irresistible You
'PR' Dead River K-N-A Swagger - the BAD puppy!
(and Autumn, the feist.)
Old 10-15-2009, 08:52 AM
Puppy Dog

HI
I'm new here and this is a very interesting thread, I read it all! I had never heard of tug being a bad thing.
i have a toy poo and a standard puppy who is now 8 months old. When the puppy first came the game of tug was fairly even between them . i have cute pics but cannot, for my life figure out how to post them here..
Anyway, now that the puppy is 18 times bigger than her sister they have modified tug to suit them selves. The puppy is fully aware she could "win" every time but realized that's not really fun, so, she only tugs a little , if I'm "in the game" too, they both accept that it's my job to be on the little one's side, so puppy can tug harder. It's very fun for all of us. I love that my puppy is so smart that she knows to be considerate.
I should have just used their names, Natalie, the puppy and Flamingo (Mingo) the toy.