Found a Stray Pregnant Dog

I have 2 Beagles, Snoopy (male) and Squeeker (female)

I also have a Basset Hound, Hank (male) and a Basset Cross, Jabroni (male)

I just love their loud voices.

Hank is also of a nervous and shy nature and I found that working with him with food or simply elaborate praises is working wonders. When I first got him, I couldn't put my hand over his head to pet him but now I can. I just showed him with A LOT of PATIENCE that I was not there to hurt him but to nurture him. Eventually he caught on. He will never be like a balanced dog, but at least he is not afraid of me anymore, and he is slowly making progress (very slowly)

Just keep at it and be consistent.
Lucky! One of the reasons I got a basset was because of their voices :) and Susie won't make a sound unless you get her super duper excited (which is very rare since she's SO calm!)

darkchild16

We are Home.
congrats on the new addition and good luck on the puppies. I do have a question though, why not just abort the puppies and avoid having 2 litters?? I cant remember the latest you can do it so that may be it LOL.

Grab

Glad she's found a loving home:) If she's that far along, most vets will not do a spay/abort. I don't have issue with early in pregnancy spays, though. Particularly if the litter would end up harming the mother or end up in a shelter. (not the case in your situation) We just had a tiny Chi come in to work who had been adopted shortly before by new owners. The former owners told them the dog was just out of heat..over a month later when she started getting larger they called them to ask if the dog was bred and the former owners said 'oh, she did breed with our larger Chi':rolleyes:

I will say that I'm not sure why a spay/abort is offensive, but purposefully letting a Rottie breed with a Basset isn't.. (and I realize the OP didn't do this breeding)

Very strange...
A woman just called and asked us if we had a female beagle, around a year and a half, who was heavily pregnant. She told us she slipped out of her collar and has been missing for five days already. She's been looking around and hasn't found her yet. My mom was puzzled but told her to come right over... I'm so confused... this doesn't make any sense.

LauraLeigh

Very strange...
A woman just called and asked us if we had a female beagle, around a year and a half, who was heavily pregnant. She told us she slipped out of her collar and has been missing for five days already. She's been looking around and hasn't found her yet. My mom was puzzled but told her to come right over... I'm so confused... this doesn't make any sense.
Could be the other was lying? That could explain the way the dog responded?

Let us know!! Fingers crossed for a loving owner!!

I had typed a reply saying how great you were doing, but oddly, it is not in the thread... weird... so I will say it again! You are doing a great thing!!

Could be the other was lying? That could explain the way the dog responded?

Let us know!! Fingers crossed for a loving owner!!

I had typed a reply saying how great you were doing, but oddly, it is not in the thread... weird... so I will say it again! You are doing a great thing!!
Possibly... if that man was lying then ugh! Why would he lie?! But that does kind of explain the response... but how did he know she was a beagle who was also pregnant? I'm very, very confused. We're all trying to figure it out right now. The woman lives about twenty minutes away, she's on her way now. We're going to watch Bella's response very carefully..

And thanks! :)

mom2dogs

Could be that he saw you were willing to pay $$, let you pay it, and now having someone else pick the bitch up pretending she's the rightful owner?

Whatever happens, I hope she will continue to get the care she needs.

Brattina88

This might sound crazy, but if the guy watched you let the dogs out he could've guessed it was the beagle and it could've been a scam. At the same time, the woman could come over and find it isn't her dog. Tough situation all around! Let us know when you can ~

LauraLeigh

Could be that he saw you were willing to pay $$, let you pay it, and now having someone else pick the bitch up pretending she's the rightful owner?

Whatever happens, I hope she will continue to get the care she needs.
I forgot about the money part, as for why he'd lie, if he had somehow figured out she was pregnant prior to contacting you he may have been looking for a way to make a quick dollar off the pups, and when you offered to buy her thought, even better....

Or he may have been the rightful (legal) owner and this lady is also missing a dog, maybe not the same one?

Hard to say until she shows up, it is darn strange to have 2 people looking for a pregnant dog...

:cry: She IS the owner!

She just left.. she's a very talkative, nice lady. I'll tell you in brief what happened. She came over but my parents kept Bella in another room just in case. The lady told us that Bella went missing 5 days ago and that she came home and found Bella out of the yard and her collar was caught on the fence when she squeezed out. She told us Bella was a purebred beagle with purebred pups and that there were 5 puppies (She was right)

My dad needed more proof. The lady took out about 30 pictures of Bella, from when she was a puppy to present day. She told us Bella had a brown heart shaped mark on her left ear and that the tip of her tail is black. She even mentioned that all of Bella's paws are white except for her back right paw, which is black, and that she's scared of rain. (She was right).
After examining the pictures, my dad let Bella out. I've never seen Bella so happy in the 3 days we had her. She ran out, barking and wagging her tail. The woman began to actually sob (it was kind of awkward).

My dad explained what happened yesterday. The woman was very shocked and thanked us a hundred times for trusting our instincts and not letting Bella go to him. We mentioned we paid $150, and the woman freaked out and offered to buy Bella back. We told her that was unnecessary, but the woman insisted on giving us a reward..

She told us that she was driving home from work when she saw our sign. She said she almost didn't call because she felt it was hopeless, since Bella was gone 5 full days.. but when we told her to come right over, she said she was so happy that she almost ran a light! She was a very funny person, and made us laugh a lot, but I'm still very sad.. I really miss Bella, but Bella was way happier with this lady. It's like someone pushed the ON button.

Bella's real name is Sierra Ann.
The lady offered us a free beagle puppy, but we declined. Then they went on their way.

Goodbye Bella...:cry::cry::cry: At least you're happy now and you're where you belong...

LauraLeigh

Happy ending:D

Hard to let her go though!!!! Just remember how much you helped and, most important, how you trusted your gut on the first shyster!!!!

Thracian

Oh my word. What an amazing story! I'm sorry you lost her but glad that she found her way back home. I'm also glad you got a reward after the money you spent to keep her.

As for the other guy? Unbelievable. :mad:

Oh my word. What an amazing story! I'm sorry you lost her but glad that she found her way back home. I'm also glad you got a reward after the money you spent to keep her.

As for the other guy? Unbelievable. :mad:

It's very obvious that Bella.. (Sierra Ann) loved the lady but it's still kind of sad, you can bond very quickly with a dog in just 3 days :D

Susie misses Bella... ugh I mean Sierra Ann.. lol... she's kind of sad but I guess when she has her puppies in a couple weeks, she'll be fine and have her babies to love on.

I want to strangle that man's neck! It was so messed up what he did! I wanted to call the police, that's how mad I am, but my parents don't want to make such a big deal out of it.

Thracian

It's very obvious that Bella.. (Sierra Ann) loved the lady but it's still kind of sad, you can bond very quickly with a dog in just 3 days
I know what you mean. I had a third dog for all of twelve days in August, and I still miss her. She was a maltese/terrier, a little too much terrier. I ended up getting hives when I would touch her, and she was so cuddly you couldn't help but want to touch her.

I suffered for a week, then knew I would have to find her a home with someone who wouldn't be afraid to touch her. I found her a good home--I know she is loved--but it was still hard. She has a different name in her new home but she will always be Chelsea to me.

I want to strangle that man's neck!
I'm with you on this. Karma needs to give him exactly what he deserves.

Lolas Dad

Well glad it all ended well. The woman lives 20 minutes away that is not a reason not to be able to see the dog you know. Maybe in a few weeks time after she has her pups you can go visit with your dog. I'm sure that the woman is grateful enough for you to do that after all she did offer a puppy when they were ready. In the long run I think you and your dog made 2 friends.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
aww glad she is back with her real owner! As for that guy.. urgh! I bet he had seen her running around, and then when he saw the sign figured it was a quick way to make some cash, so called to see if it was her that you had...

Thanks for the great replies! I put up fliers all around the neighborhood only saying: "Lost female." My dad said that since she's so pretty, someone might just show up and insist she's theirs. But if the true owners sees the ad, they'll most likely call. Today my mom is going to put an ad in the paper. :)

Meanwhile, Bella is very skittish so we decided to keep my two little sisters away from her since all they want to do is grab at her tail lol. Basically, the only "person" she likes in the house is our pregnant basset hound, Susie. She will not leave her side and luckily, Susie doesn't mind. So we decided to keep them in a room together so Bella won't have to be too stressed out. Susie already has her whelping box even though she's only 5 weeks, and we put one beside hers for Bella. I don't think Susie really liked that, because now she's not sitting in her nesting box. ??? I'm thinking she wants Bella's farther away.

But boy can Bella howl! Last night all she did was howl. We're wondering maybe if she misses her owner. My dad sat up with her when she started to get loud, and then she finally calmed down. Then this morning she went back to not liking him again :rolleyes:

And yes, BullMastiffMama, I'm thinking maybe her nose got away with her (It's happened to our basset a couple times). We're going to keep up the fliers for a couple weeks. And oh yes, I'll definitely post pictures when the puppies come! ;)

My mom doesn't want to abort the puppies and she said that even if she did, the owner might come and maybe get mad. We're not sure if this was an accidental pregnancy or not..
Thanks for the excellent links! I'm going to go look at them now :) I like the cottage cheese idea, I heard about it but I was never sure.

And if the owner doesn't come by the time the pups are born, we do have at least 3 homes available: my cousin, my best friend, and my sister's friend. My cousin has been wanting a dog for years and her mom finally said OK. And my best friend just lost her dog from old age and is looking for another. My sister's best friend I guess just wants one to add to her pack!

Sorry this was so long btw!
I would also say in the ad to have callers give a description of the dog before taking it to be sure she's theirs. Otherwise, just anyone could say "she's mine" and actually end up in the wrong hands.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Wish there was some way to track that man. He's up to no good for sure. I wonder what he would have done with the dog if you had handed her over.

The thing is the man did give a description. I'm thinking he somehow saw Bella before we brought her in... the stalker! That just creeps me out, but at least he's gone.

Bella has a great owner, it was the first time she wagged her tail since she was with us. The woman called my dad this morning. She wanted to thank us AGAIN, for the 1000000000 time. :rolleyes: My dad said that was very awkward because after he said You're welcome, he didn't know what to say afterwards. But he didn't have to, because the woman kept talking and talking about how happy she was before saying bye.

Members online

No members online now.