Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 10-13-2009, 03:05 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
I have 2 Beagles, Snoopy (male) and Squeeker (female)

I also have a Basset Hound, Hank (male) and a Basset Cross, Jabroni (male)

I just love their loud voices.

Hank is also of a nervous and shy nature and I found that working with him with food or simply elaborate praises is working wonders. When I first got him, I couldn't put my hand over his head to pet him but now I can. I just showed him with A LOT of PATIENCE that I was not there to hurt him but to nurture him. Eventually he caught on. He will never be like a balanced dog, but at least he is not afraid of me anymore, and he is slowly making progress (very slowly)

Just keep at it and be consistent.
Lucky! One of the reasons I got a basset was because of their voices and Susie won't make a sound unless you get her super duper excited (which is very rare since she's SO calm!)
Old 10-13-2009, 03:16 PM
We are Home.

congrats on the new addition and good luck on the puppies. I do have a question though, why not just abort the puppies and avoid having 2 litters?? I cant remember the latest you can do it so that may be it LOL.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 10-13-2009, 04:45 PM
Top Dog

Glad she's found a loving home If she's that far along, most vets will not do a spay/abort. I don't have issue with early in pregnancy spays, though. Particularly if the litter would end up harming the mother or end up in a shelter. (not the case in your situation) We just had a tiny Chi come in to work who had been adopted shortly before by new owners. The former owners told them the dog was just out of heat..over a month later when she started getting larger they called them to ask if the dog was bred and the former owners said 'oh, she did breed with our larger Chi'

I will say that I'm not sure why a spay/abort is offensive, but purposefully letting a Rottie breed with a Basset isn't.. (and I realize the OP didn't do this breeding)
Old 10-13-2009, 06:27 PM
We are Home.

Ok I figured it was a time thing. But couldnt remember.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 10-13-2009, 08:13 PM
Active Pup

Very strange...
A woman just called and asked us if we had a female beagle, around a year and a half, who was heavily pregnant. She told us she slipped out of her collar and has been missing for five days already. She's been looking around and hasn't found her yet. My mom was puzzled but told her to come right over... I'm so confused... this doesn't make any sense.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:16 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Criminal View Post
Very strange...
A woman just called and asked us if we had a female beagle, around a year and a half, who was heavily pregnant. She told us she slipped out of her collar and has been missing for five days already. She's been looking around and hasn't found her yet. My mom was puzzled but told her to come right over... I'm so confused... this doesn't make any sense.
Could be the other was lying? That could explain the way the dog responded?

Let us know!! Fingers crossed for a loving owner!!

I had typed a reply saying how great you were doing, but oddly, it is not in the thread... weird... so I will say it again! You are doing a great thing!!
Old 10-13-2009, 08:21 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraLeigh View Post
Could be the other was lying? That could explain the way the dog responded?

Let us know!! Fingers crossed for a loving owner!!

I had typed a reply saying how great you were doing, but oddly, it is not in the thread... weird... so I will say it again! You are doing a great thing!!
Possibly... if that man was lying then ugh! Why would he lie?! But that does kind of explain the response... but how did he know she was a beagle who was also pregnant? I'm very, very confused. We're all trying to figure it out right now. The woman lives about twenty minutes away, she's on her way now. We're going to watch Bella's response very carefully..

And thanks!
Old 10-13-2009, 08:40 PM
Top Dog

Could be that he saw you were willing to pay $$, let you pay it, and now having someone else pick the bitch up pretending she's the rightful owner?

Whatever happens, I hope she will continue to get the care she needs.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:48 PM
treehugging clicker freak

This might sound crazy, but if the guy watched you let the dogs out he could've guessed it was the beagle and it could've been a scam. At the same time, the woman could come over and find it isn't her dog. Tough situation all around! Let us know when you can ~

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 10-13-2009, 08:50 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2dogs View Post
Could be that he saw you were willing to pay $$, let you pay it, and now having someone else pick the bitch up pretending she's the rightful owner?

Whatever happens, I hope she will continue to get the care she needs.
I forgot about the money part, as for why he'd lie, if he had somehow figured out she was pregnant prior to contacting you he may have been looking for a way to make a quick dollar off the pups, and when you offered to buy her thought, even better....

Or he may have been the rightful (legal) owner and this lady is also missing a dog, maybe not the same one?

Hard to say until she shows up, it is darn strange to have 2 people looking for a pregnant dog...