Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 10-13-2009, 12:26 PM
Smooth Criminal Smooth Criminal is offline
Active Pup
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 25
Default

And one question... it's started to rain pretty hard here, and Bella is scared. She won't go outside to go to the bathroom so she did her business on the floor twice already. She won't go outside because of the rain... any advice?
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 10-13-2009, 12:36 PM
Ivy's Avatar
Ivy Ivy is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,713
Default

Where are you located Smooth Criminal?
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 10-13-2009, 12:42 PM
smkie's Avatar
smkie smkie is offline
pointer/labrador/terrier
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 54,751
Default

Good for your Mom. I get such a wave of disgust when i read about or experience it for myself. It's a sad world for so many dogs. Love knowing one was spared.
__________________

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary


Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 10-13-2009, 01:04 PM
Smooth Criminal Smooth Criminal is offline
Active Pup
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
Where are you located Smooth Criminal?
Sacramento.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 10-13-2009, 01:05 PM
Smooth Criminal Smooth Criminal is offline
Active Pup
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkie View Post
Good for your Mom. I get such a wave of disgust when i read about or experience it for myself. It's a sad world for so many dogs. Love knowing one was spared.
You just made my Mom smile.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 10-13-2009, 01:12 PM
Ivy's Avatar
Ivy Ivy is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,713
Default

I find you and your family to be the kind of people I would like to meet. If only there were more people to care properly for their pets.

I am sure Bella will appreciate having you and your family as her owners.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 10-13-2009, 01:18 PM
Smooth Criminal Smooth Criminal is offline
Active Pup
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
I find you and your family to be the kind of people I would like to meet. If only there were more people to care properly for their pets.

I am sure Bella will appreciate having you and your family as her owners.
Aww thanks! <3
My family really loves animals... minus my 2 older sisters who just enjoy causing a bunch of trouble lol

Learned something important about Bella today. She's scared of rain and will not go outside when it's raining. My dad just came up with a good solution. He's at the store now getting some puppy pads... hopefully Bella will get the idea
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 10-13-2009, 02:08 PM
Ivy's Avatar
Ivy Ivy is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,713
Default

I have 2 Beagles. Try this and see if it works. Keep in mind that it may take a little time.

My hounds are really food motivated. Try giving her the "really good" treats when outside. Maybe try it in smaller steps. Put her leash on and have her stand by the door with the door open (while it's raining) and give her treats. Hopefully she will associate the rain with getting something good like her favorite treat. Once she gets comfortable with that, take her one step closer to being outside in the rain while giving her treats. Hopefully you can make your way to being completely outdoors rain or shine.

Another thing, do not give her attention if or when she freaks out with being in the rain. It might just add to her confusion and anxiety. I find it best if you don't make a big deal out of it, hopefully she can learn from your reaction and emotional state that the rain isn't all that bad. Dogs can sense that kind of thing.

It may take a while, but it's better to take it slow than to give her too much of a shock, especially if she is pregnant.

Good luck to you. I was hoping you would be closer to me....I LOVE Beagles!!
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 10-13-2009, 02:19 PM
Smooth Criminal Smooth Criminal is offline
Active Pup
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
I have 2 Beagles. Try this and see if it works. Keep in mind that it may take a little time.

My hounds are really food motivated. Try giving her the "really good" treats when outside. Maybe try it in smaller steps. Put her leash on and have her stand by the door with the door open (while it's raining) and give her treats. Hopefully she will associate the rain with getting something good like her favorite treat. Once she gets comfortable with that, take her one step closer to being outside in the rain while giving her treats. Hopefully you can make your way to being completely outdoors rain or shine.

Another thing, do not give her attention if or when she freaks out with being in the rain. It might just add to her confusion and anxiety. I find it best if you don't make a big deal out of it, hopefully she can learn from your reaction and emotional state that the rain isn't all that bad. Dogs can sense that kind of thing.

It may take a while, but it's better to take it slow than to give her too much of a shock, especially if she is pregnant.

Good luck to you. I was hoping you would be closer to me....I LOVE Beagles!!
Hey, thanks for the advice! I'll definitely work on doing that today and let you know if we made any progress.
lol I figured you loved beagles 'cuz of you're avatar What are your beagles' names?
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 10-13-2009, 02:21 PM
Ivy's Avatar
Ivy Ivy is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,713
Default

I have 2 Beagles, Snoopy (male) and Squeeker (female)

I also have a Basset Hound, Hank (male) and a Basset Cross, Jabroni (male)

I just love their loud voices.

Hank is also of a nervous and shy nature and I found that working with him with food or simply elaborate praises is working wonders. When I first got him, I couldn't put my hand over his head to pet him but now I can. I just showed him with A LOT of PATIENCE that I was not there to hurt him but to nurture him. Eventually he caught on. He will never be like a balanced dog, but at least he is not afraid of me anymore, and he is slowly making progress (very slowly)

Just keep at it and be consistent.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:41 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site