Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 10-12-2009, 12:14 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy's Valkyrie View Post
Ok so I got some advice from a few breeders I know and it is possible to keep them in the same room IF they get along, Some mothers will clean and nurse another's puppies and basically take turns in each box. Some won't so you'll have to find out if one of your girls will be territorial or not. If they're good with it, you can leave them as is. Since your basset will go first, you'll be able to find out before both litters are on the ground if the basset mom with have issues with miss beagle sniffing around her babies.

Good luck!
It's actually the beagle who will go first. She's 7 weeks and my basset is now 6 weeks. But it'll be pretty close. We tried moving Bella (the beagle) to another room, but she won't leave Susie (my basset). And Susie has been treating Bella like her own baby. She "grooms" her and everything.

Bella did look sick, it turns out she was underfed. And surprising news: The owner came to our place yesterday evening. First he called and said: "Is this dog a beagle, about seven months old and pregnant?" We told him to come right over. He came and we told him that the veterinarian said she would be having 5 puppies. He said she was bred by his other beagle mix, Chopper. He had a crate and was ready to take Bella and Bella ran away! She hid in the corner howling and crying. The man said he just got her and she wasn't very social yet. My dad got Bella and handed her to the man who put her in the crate. My mom thought maybe Bella was abused and didn't want her to go to the man, so she said she'll give him a hundred bucks if he'd let us keep Bella. (This reminded me so much of the movie Shiloh!) The man said no, one hundred and fifty, so we paid him and he left.

So I guess we have an extra addition to our family! It was amazing.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:39 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Criminal View Post
It's actually the beagle who will go first. She's 7 weeks and my basset is now 6 weeks. But it'll be pretty close. We tried moving Bella (the beagle) to another room, but she won't leave Susie (my basset). And Susie has been treating Bella like her own baby. She "grooms" her and everything.

Bella did look sick, it turns out she was underfed. And surprising news: The owner came to our place yesterday evening. First he called and said: "Is this dog a beagle, about seven months old and pregnant?" We told him to come right over. He came and we told him that the veterinarian said she would be having 5 puppies. He said she was bred by his other beagle mix, Chopper. He had a crate and was ready to take Bella and Bella ran away! She hid in the corner howling and crying. The man said he just got her and she wasn't very social yet. My dad got Bella and handed her to the man who put her in the crate. My mom thought maybe Bella was abused and didn't want her to go to the man, so she said she'll give him a hundred bucks if he'd let us keep Bella. (This reminded me so much of the movie Shiloh!) The man said no, one hundred and fifty, so we paid him and he left.

So I guess we have an extra addition to our family! It was amazing.
What an amazing, amazing story. Wow. And what a great family you have.

I think your mom made the right call. Not sure if the guy was abusive, but the fact he was willing to let the dog go for $150 and just leave makes me think he wasn't a good owner at all.

As an owner of two beagles, no amount of money would be enough for me to sell them (and I'm sure I speak for many dog owners).

Wow, amazing story.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:55 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomp View Post
What an amazing, amazing story. Wow. And what a great family you have.

I think your mom made the right call. Not sure if the guy was abusive, but the fact he was willing to let the dog go for $150 and just leave makes me think he wasn't a good owner at all.

As an owner of two beagles, no amount of money would be enough for me to sell them (and I'm sure I speak for many dog owners).

Wow, amazing story.
Oh, yes, it was amazing Today we went and got her a new collar, some dog toys, and a leash. My mom said even if the guy wasn't abusive, he must not have really cared, so yeah, not a good owner at all. And she's only 7 months old! Poor girl
I tried petting her today but she kind of growled and backed away. I guess it's just going to take time. Besides Susie, she only let's my mom really pet her. My mom sort of pets her ears and she'll put her tail between her legs but she won't growl like she does to everyone else.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:55 PM
Very Food Agressive

Wow, yeah that's an story for the grandchildren! I'm glad you guys are going to take care of Bella. I can't believe the poor girl is 7 months old I hope you're getting her spayed after this litter, 7 months is not nearly old enough for puppies and I think you guys know it's not a great idea to keep breeding her anyways.

So now the question is: where are our pictures?!

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:00 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy's Valkyrie View Post
Wow, yeah that's an story for the grandchildren! I'm glad you guys are going to take care of Bella. I can't believe the poor girl is 7 months old I hope you're getting her spayed after this litter, 7 months is not nearly old enough for puppies and I think you guys know it's not a great idea to keep breeding her anyways.

So now the question is: where are our pictures?!
Bella will definitely be spayed after her birth, along with the rest of the dogs/puppies.

Pictures will be coming soon! As soon as she relaxes a bit
Old 10-12-2009, 07:27 PM
Big Dog

Wow, that's definitely an amazing story. I'm glad she's your dog now! I hope she settles in, though it might take some time. Poor thing! Only seven months old. I can't imagine letting my dog go like that, either.

Looking forward to the pics.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:04 PM
Top Dog

Glad your able to keep the dog. Just goes to show with the previous owner he was not taking care of her. She deserves better and that is why she came to you because you are better than her previous owner.

Can someone please kill this flea before it jumps on Lola
Old 10-12-2009, 08:20 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Wow! just, wow!

Glad to hear she's safe now, though!

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 10-12-2009, 08:46 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
He said she was bred by his other beagle mix, Chopper.
I just realized that based on the previous owner's story, he had to have her for at least two months. That's long enough to develop some kind of bond with the dog, even if just a slight one. So it's even more telling that the dog whimpered and cried to be away from him when he arrived.

Last edited by Thracian; 10-12-2009 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Added quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:25 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thracian View Post
I just realized that based on the previous owner's story, he had to have her for at least two months. That's long enough to develop some kind of bond with the dog, even if just a slight one. So it's even more telling that the dog whimpered and cried to be away from him when he arrived.
Wow, good point! We didn't even think of that.