Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 10-08-2009, 03:20 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Pyroxide for cleaning a wound?

Sophie injured her front leg and the wound is taking longer than normal to heal. The wound is about 1/2 inch long on the front of her leg. I clean it daily with pyroxide when I get home in the afternoons because she is outside a good bit (dog door). Is pyroxide slowing the healing process? I have tried tapping gause over the wound but she just chews it off. I really don't want to go with a cone because she does use a dog door and is very easiliy traumatized (abused by previous owner).

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Old 10-08-2009, 03:23 PM
Twin 2.0

Yes, it is. Peroxide is ok for initial cleaning and is great for getting blood out of fur and clothing. But after that, it tends to slow the healing down as those bubbles are "eating" healing flesh as well as the damaged. I'd put some neosporin on it a few times a day and leave it alone. If she licks it, there's really nothing that will harm her and her tongue will push it into the wound further.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:54 PM
Top Dog

I'm really torn as when I had a carcinoma removed I chose no more cutting and stitches . My surgeon said no neosporin ! Clean with peroxide , dry and add Vaseline . It healed beautifully from inside out without scarring . But with a dog , after cleaning with peroxide , I'd tend to go with Goldbond powder . Best bet is to check with your vet .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 10-08-2009, 03:56 PM
Active Pup

i use peroxide on most cutes and bleeding scracthes and it does the job well, dont use it too often tho on the same wound it would take longer to heal.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:47 PM
Puppy Dog

Thanks for your feedback! I thought I remembered reading somewhere on this board about pyroxide but was unable to locate it by searching. I have been using Polysporin after cleaning which unfortunately holds dirt worse than if the wound was dry. I have Gold Bond powder and will give that a try. Also going to give the vet a call for her thoughts.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:40 PM
Top Dog

I was always told by the vets to never use it on a fresh wound because it then caused damage to cells which are trying to heal. A saline solution or plain water to flush a wound is best. On an old wound a half and half solution with water works but not too often.
And never put anything except water (to flush out dirt) in a wound that will need to be stitched. I have been present countless times when someone did that, then took the animal to the vets or had the vet out (horses). The result was a pissed off Vet and a wound that couldn't be stitched that should have been.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:07 PM
Thanks, and Gig 'em.

Hydrogen peroxide kills germs as well as healthy cells. The cell itself has to get rid of Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2 since I'm tired of typing it out), which is a byproduct of detoxification inside of Peroxisomes, which are specially modified vacoules that can contain the H2O2 and keep it separate from the rest of the cell until catalase can break it down to water and oxygen.

So if the cell itself has a specially made mechanism for dealing with H2O2, you should probably avoid putting it on a wound, at least past the initial treatment/cleaning.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- 'WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!!' " - Author Unknown
Old 10-08-2009, 10:21 PM
Resident fainting goat

I use the peroxide to clean it out, and then I let it sit. apply neosporin and a bandage usually does the trick.

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.