Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-10-2009, 01:41 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Doesn't sound bad at all. would be fun watching Sid bloom.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 10-10-2009, 03:06 PM
swimming upstream

am watching this thread--kind of like the dating game of dogs... I hope you find the right match!
Old 10-10-2009, 05:58 PM
and Fozzie B!

Candy is sooo cute! Sid sounds adorable, too.

Personally... I would avoid adopting a shy, withdrawn dog in your situation. To me, that could easily exacerbate Peyton's pushiness, as a skittish, submissive dog will let her get away with it. I would be looking for a very well-mannered, balanced dog who would correct her over-zealousness without over correcting it. But that is IMHO and you obviously know Peyton much better than I do!

As far as reactiveness to other dogs, I agree with Lizzybeth. Control Unleashed completely opened my eyes to my own dog reactive dog. Gonzo, when he sees other dogs running/playing, would fly off the handle. I went through YEARS of Obedience training with behaviorists, all the way up to competitive level and Rally-O. He was highly trained, but if I wasn't giving him commands, he would revert back to fixating and freaking out. The process of slowly, consistently desensitizing a dog changes the way that they see other dogs completely. Other dogs are no longer a big deal to Gonzo - he is still very, very play and chase driven, but he knows that there is a time and a place. Correcting or "popping" or "snapping" a dog who is reactive is doing nothing but creating negative connotations in your dog's mind, toward you and toward the presence of other dogs.

That Petsmart video simply shows a dog who is WAY over threshold. It's one of the reasons I don't recommend Petsmart trainers (and I work there)... especially for dog reactive dogs. You are sitting in a small room filled with other dogs, with other dogs walking around the store, and it reeks of other dogs everywhere. You can't even get under threshold in that environment. I highly recommend reading those books, seriously, it's $20 and a few hours of your life! I also recommend finding Obedience classes with certified behaviorists that are positive reinforcement based, and involve clicker training if possible.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 10-10-2009, 08:16 PM
Top Dog

We looked at about 40 dogs today including 5 aussie and 3 bc's I even went back and saw Blackey. Peyton is worn out, we drove 100 miles to various rescues.

One dog stood out. I mean r-e-a-l-l-y stood out. A Male BC. He had it all.

I thought Peyton was smart, this dog makes Peyton look slow. He's laid back but will play. He has BC focus I mean LASER focus. He's shy at times but warms up nicely. I spent about an hour with him. He's just a very cool dog.

How smart is he? I taught him one thing and did it one time. The next time, he remember what I wanted and did it. I'm talking only 1 time I told him. What was interesting was he almost forgot it, then at the last second he did it! I could see him recalling what I had said. Pretty cool.

An airplane went over, he cocked his head and looked for the airplane in the sky. There was a lot of that BC stances over the tennis ball but was just as happy to hang out. Not obsessive at all about anything as you will see.

What also interested me and you'll see on the video is how calm Peyton was. She wasn't jumping all over him, wasn't afraid, she felt comfortable I think pretty early on. The first video is the initial 2 minutes of the meet and greet. You'll see what I saw at the very first nose to nose meeting.

Later, he and Peyton were chasing the ball, he got it and tossed it to her. Yeah, he tossed the ball to Peyton. If she got the ball, he was fine with it, if he got the ball and she tried to take it away he let her know he had it and Peyton was good with it.

He has the three things I was looking for intelligence, sociability and focus. He's housebroken and crate trained but no basic obedience. He's about 13-14 months old, picked up as a stray, too thin right now but fully vetted. Cats everywhere at this house, hes good with cats and loves children. He was just an easy dog to like and I think it would be an easy fit in our home.

I found something I could complain about in all the dogs I have seen. They were ugly, too big, too shy, to dumb, too obsessive, too old, too young. I left thinking, gee, I can't find anything that I don't like about this dog.

At first I was put off by his Amber eyes, they looked kinda creepy and I'll tell you a story later about how the color of his eyes almost got him killed, but after you're with the dog, you see there is nothing creepy at all.

Here is video 1. YouTube - VID 00003
Old 10-10-2009, 08:37 PM
Top Dog

YouTube - VID 00004

YouTube - Next BC+Peyton

YouTube - Last BC+Peyton
Old 10-10-2009, 09:06 PM
Top Dog

Here is the story about his eyes. The lady that rescued him told me that she got a call from a shelter saying she had a "devil" dog and was going to put the dog down because it had "evil" eyes. The Devil lives in this dog she said. He got rescued obviously but just goes to show you how stupid and superstitious people can be sometimes. We can save that discussion for another thread. I have to admit him staring you down is a little un-nerving at first. You can't see how yellow they are on this video.

Candy is in foster home, got an email from a 3rd party, waiting to hear something on her.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:26 PM
Top Dog

How long has he been in the rescue? Are there any other dogs at his foster home? How does he get along with them?
Old 10-11-2009, 06:45 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
How long has he been in the rescue? Are there any other dogs at his foster home? How does he get along with them?
3 weeks, 50, all fine according to the lady.

There's nothing remarkable in the vids, it struck me as two calm well balanced dogs. The remarkable thing about that was Peytons reaction to this dog. She just didn't show her typical dog reactiveness for some reason. No clue why this happened.

I think I did order that book one time, Barnes and Noble even called me to say it was in. I forgot to pick it up. Thanks for reminding me.

I went back to see Blackey but left Peyton in the car. The dog wouldn't eat a hot dog bite. Once again I couldn't get her attention. She was a bouncy bouncy dog and would probably be too large when fully grown. Sweet dog for sure, but I left knowing it wasn't the dog for me. I wish her well.

Sid is a super super sweet dog, you can see it in his eyes, but again I'm just not ready for another total makeover project dog. I saw the same look in his eyes as Peyton that first day, "mousey". Very calm, not knowing what was in the world was going on. He licked my hand just like Peyton does, very softly and gentle and wasn't obsessive and wouldn't even jump on the couch or chair. Very quiet and reserved, but wanting to be a friendly dog VERY badly. Highly social driven, very sensitize, but unsure.

Maybe the coolest looking dog was the Amber eyed B&W BC. There was no guessing this dogs breed. The problem there was just waaaay too hyper. If anything overly friendly, bouncy bouncy bouncy bouncy and had a hard time controlling herself. My guess is it came from working stock and would be better on a farm than a city house dog. Cool dog, but not for me.

My first impression of the BC in the vids was just ok. I wasn't bold over by his beauty but once I spent some time, I thought he was a cool looking dog. The vids don't do him justice. I can't say I'm wild about that tail but his markings on his face are very good. His head is larger than Peytons and once he's filled out, would reach 50lbs plus is my guess. His looks didn't win me over, but his mind did. This dog is "Border Collie smart" and it didn't take long for that to show up.

I always heard BC are too hyper for inside dogs and so I've tended to shy away. The B&W BC was too hyper, but the one in the video was much more laid back. My guess is I would have the best of both worlds. I also left thinking this BC would CGC before Peyton would and this BC doesn't know sit from heal today. He has had ZERO basic training. He's not good on a leash, he pulls. Rescue named him Bobbie, but he doesn't answer to it very well, you hear that name called on the vids.

He is another project dog, but at the same time he has all the elements to make a great dog I "think". He has natural sociability and the intelligence and focus I was looking for to train. He seems to be able to control himself "mostly" and he's not a bouncy bouncy kind of dog in any case. Honestly, I can't say I've seen more "potential" in any other dog I have found to date since Peyton. You don't' see that potential in the videos but I did and just didn't catch it on camera.

I'm going to see Candy next but as of today, "Amber Eyes BC" is at the top of my list and not because of what he is, but what I think he could be. He's the right size, age and temperament I was looking for on top of having the smarts and sociably. I guessed right with Peyton at the shelter that first day and I "think" I'm right about this one too. This is a good dog at his core.

Let's face it, it's a crap shoot at best and how the dog would react in my home and Peytons home is anybody's guess. But my sense is, he goes along with the program pretty well and would settle in just fine. The rest would be up to me.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:14 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartgonzo View Post
Candy is sooo cute! Sid sounds adorable, too.

I would be looking for a very well-mannered, balanced dog who would correct her over-zealousness without over correcting it.
You bring up an interesting point. See the last video. The BC tells Peyton to back off. YouTube - Last BC+Peyton

Yeah Peyton can be a real little bitch at times. Everything revolves around her. All bones and toys and food are hers if she can have it turn out that way.

I had the Mal here for a few months and gave them each a soup bone one day. The Mal dropped his, Peyton ran between his legs, got it, then ran back to the one she left and laid on the Mals bone. The Mal was like..wher'd it go? Peyton wasn't saying a word but was watching him and all the Mal could see was her with one bone. There were many times, the Mal would have a toy in his mouth and Peyton would just come up and take it right out of his mouth. The Mal was like...ok, doe-dee-doe, what---ever, but I could see that not working out with some dogs. Peyton was never aggressive about it, but was clear she wanted what the other dog had even if they had the EXACT same toy. I have seen her with BOTH toys in her mouth. I can't pet another dog unless Peyton get's some too. If I put down two bowls of food, she has to check both bowls out first.

I think this comes from her background before me. When she first arrived at my house, she would hide EVERYTHING I gave her. She didn't do that after a while and the next time and the only time I have seen it was with another dog in the house. One thing I know about Peyton, once she thinks and learns something, she never forgets. It's the downside of having a very smart dog if they learn something that's not good.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:10 PM
Top Dog

ok my take,,(and agree with alot already said),,,Sid, would not work for me, he sounds like a nice dog, but with a dog like Peyton, she would most likely end up intimidating the heck out of him, (been there done that),,and if he's a soft already,,he's gonna end up a "marshmellow" so I'd pass on him too.

The BC in the video's,,I would HIGHLY consider,,for most of the reasons you state, and my reasons would be (just from watching them interact on the videos),,he does seem to balance Peyton out, calm her for whatever reason,,they co existed quite nicely, YET, they both are not so "into" each other that it would detract from them being into "YOU"..get what I mean??? He does not appear over the top I-am-on-a-constant-mission border, (and there are some of those out there) he had very good focus on you, vs being "into" Peyton the entire time,,they tolerated each other well.

I did notice his "growlybarky" thing at Peyton in the last video, and that was probably good for her, I liked her backed off reaction vs I'm gonna push you further.

I have lived with alot of really wonderful dogs, always had multiples, and I have to say, I would always always pick a dog who was more into "me" than my other dogs..Fortunately for me, it's always been this way. Sure they play with each other, but they are not obsessed with each other,,they are obsessed with ME, which is how I want it ) Makes for easier living and easier training..

I think the next step I would take, is see if you can take this boy for a week and see how it goes,,training him will most likely be a breeze so I'm not going to even get into that,,BC's are incredibly smart, I again, like that he isn't over the top compulsive, obsessive, and seems quite willing..

Ok, that's my 2cents ))