Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-08-2009, 07:02 PM
Top Dog

for me, Peyton looks ALL aussie,,I have seen quite a few aussies who may have a more pointed snout that people think are more borderish but in reality aussie.._

Bummer about no ARPH in TX,,they are such a good organization to go thru and really peg their dogs well..ahhh well keep looking )
Old 10-09-2009, 06:54 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jynx View Post
for me, Peyton looks ALL aussie,,I have seen quite a few aussies who may have a more pointed snout that people think are more borderish but in reality aussie.._
She could be a Possum/Moose cross and I wouldn't love her any less.

If it will ever stop raining here today, I may go back and see "blacky". But this time, take treats and a clicker get one on one with her and see how fast she learns. If I do, I'll take some stills pics.

The shelter who has her is starting CGC classes soon. Going to look at that for Peyton but I doubt she will pass, for the very reason we have discussed, Peyton LOVES to play and is highly dog reactive.

It's a double edged sword. I want her to be dog friendly and be who she is, be happy and have fun, but at the same time have more self control when meeting new dogs. She's much better today than a year ago, but still looses her mind when she sees a dog. Of all the things I have corrected this is the one I haven't been able to overcome. I have had her with two trainers and they could not correct it either. This is where she will fail at CGC most likely.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:40 AM
Top Dog

This dog might be another option.

Adopt a Australian Shepherd: Sydney: Petfinder
Old 10-09-2009, 09:04 AM
Top Dog

Oh I would definately check out Sydney,,he sounds like a really nice boy !!!
Old 10-09-2009, 09:35 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

I hope you do go back and see Blacky.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 10-09-2009, 09:48 AM
Top Dog

If I do, I have to come up with another name than Blacky.

Just got off the phone about Sid. I emailed Peytons story to her and the lady called rather than email me. This woman not only wants me to see Sidney, she asked if I would consider fostering other Aussies.

She a good contact to know, she said something about becoming the official Aussie rescue person for the State of Texas.

She owns 3 aussies, plus has two for me to look at and has more coming very soon. I can see Sid tomorrow morning, Sid is at the Vet right now getting "fixed". Ugh...
Old 10-09-2009, 04:41 PM
Top Dog

Meet and greet with Sidney is tomorrow at 10:00. I'm not sure I have the heart to foster because I might not want to see them go. She has another Aussie like Peyton was, not socialized at all. I think I want an easy dog this time.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:54 PM
Top Dog

Syd sounds like an easy dog )) Let us know how the meeting goes,,and I am a flunky when it comes to fostering,,,I have fostered 5 cats and have 5 cats ))))
Old 10-09-2009, 07:57 PM
Top Dog

I'm thinking easy too. I wanted to get Peyton her CGC before I got another dog so this is still a bit early. I still have work to do there and honestly, I'm not ready to take on a major project dog on top of it. I know I'll have to do some work for sure and looking forward to the training, but I don't want to start from scratch like I did with Peyton, unless the dog is a absolute Rockstar.

The good news is, Aussies and Borders are popular in Texas, so with a little patience I can find the dog Peyton and I want.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:12 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Sometimes it is easier to train two...one knows that they are being the "good" dog and they really put it on. The other learns from the one because they want that kind of attention. I worked Pepper and Victor a great deal this way. Even now i will have one sit about 20 feet apart while I work the other. THan have that one sit while i have the first dog go through the routine...back and forth like that.

I still have a good feeling about "black dog". There was a lot of postive stuff in that video and that is a dog that has been waiting I think you said for a quite a while. SO i am secretly keeping my fingers crossed. I think you ought to visit again without Payton.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,