Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-07-2009, 07:17 PM
Top Dog

Default Comment on my video please.

As many of you know, I'm considering a new dog for Peyton and I. Here's a video I shot today of a "possible" dog. Peyton and this dog met for 5 mins each with both on leash and then we let them go, that's where the video starts. They played about 15 mins without any incidents and an excerpt of that meeting is here.

YouTube - Peyton and New Friend

Comments?
Old 10-07-2009, 07:52 PM
Top Dog

They seemed to get along. Did you try having the other dog sit, leave it and wait?

Can someone please kill this flea before it jumps on Lola
Old 10-07-2009, 08:02 PM
Top Dog

Looks like a good start , but new dog seems intimidated by Peyton .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 10-07-2009, 08:30 PM
Big Dog

The interaction seemed good in general. They didn't interact as much as I expected but when they did, it seemed reciprocal. I liked that the potential new dog's tail was up and wagging. One question though: Is Peyton's tail typically down like that?
Old 10-07-2009, 09:10 PM
Top Dog

It did look like the new dog was a little intimidated, but honestly I think that's to be expected. I think the interaction between the two looked pretty good, and the new dog's tail was up and wagging the entire time. As for when you were playing fetch, my girls will do the same thing. Both chase the ball and the older dog will bark at the younger one when they reach it to make it clear that she is going to pick it up. On the way back the younger one almost always steals it from her for the actual return, but so long as both are praised they're both happy.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:15 AM
Top Dog

The other dog had no training at all, wouldn't do any basic commands, wasn't totally out of control on a leash and those things I can teach in short order.

I thought the energy/submission level was "about" right for Peyton as she can be and is dominant. I'm not so sure it's the right dog for me. I couldn't get the new dog to focus on any one thing, she was all over the place mentally and didn't seem driven at all. I couldn't get a good read on how smart she was, and intelligence and focus, then sociability are my top 3 priorities in a new dog for us.

Sweet dog, the first thing she did when the handler got her out of the kennel was roll over for belly rubs and kicking her feet in play. She mouthed a little but I could tell someone must have worked on that but didn't complete the job. No biggy there either. She made eye contact well, did not cowl, she had not been abused from what I could tell and generally loved and was interested in meeting people.

They said the dog was 6 months to 2 years old. I estimate a year tops, her adult teeth are in but not fully developed. They said she was a Border and I'm not 100% convinced of that one either.

Bottom line: Compatible with Peyton but no X factor for me. Better than the average Chevy I think but not a Ferrari like Peyton.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:42 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

HE came back after the intimidation tho which is Imo a fantastic sign. THey look good together.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 10-08-2009, 09:08 AM
Top Dog

That was my sense too smkie. The new dog was going along with the program pretty well. Peyton is not aggressive but she is "in their face" at first, that puts a lot of dogs off. I didn't think either of the dogs felt really threatened, but more sorting out " Who is this other dog". I think once the new dog knew it was just play for Peyton, the new dog wasn't "as" intimidated.

Later, the new dog was laying on it's back while Peyton chewed on and wrestled with her. The new dog got up and Peyton took off, and the new dog chased Peyton for more play. They drank out of the same water bowl at the same time which is another good sign of course. This is just like how the Mal and Peyton played. Dogs seem to know...
Old 10-08-2009, 09:27 AM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkie View Post
HE came back after the intimidation tho which is Imo a fantastic sign.
This is the same thing I was thinking.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 10-08-2009, 09:46 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

THE fact that the dog didn't push about the ball is pretty good. Tail up and wagging, no hackle rising at all, follows Peyton standing beside..not blocking or pushing Peyton out of the way. All good signs. I watched it twice and felt they might be a good match.

Pepper would have looked at the ball..and then at the fence to see which board might have a escape to it. IF you gave Victor a command he would look at you and say "your not the mama"...which is something we are working on. THe fact that it this dog didn't respond to commands doesnt' necessarily mean the dog doens't know some.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,