Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-08-2009, 07:59 AM
Proud Schnoodle Mama

I try to walk Stella daily....she's got a lot of energy and needs to get out. I do a mix of walks and time at the dog park. Somedays we do both. Our yard isn't fenced in...so she goes out to do her business on a leash. The dog park gives her a chance to run loose (it's fenced in) and burn off some energy.

I like walking with her....it makes both of us happy and feel better but on a cold, rainy miserable day....she goes out for bathroom only!

http://stellalind.wordpress.com/
Old 10-08-2009, 09:09 AM
Water Junkie

We don't walk regularly. Mainly because of loose dogs. But the neighbor who had the loose dog has just moved out so we've started trying to walk on a daily basis again. Also, we don't walk much during the summer because of the extreme heat here; so since it's started cooling down, we try to walk again.

Another reason we don't walk on a regular schedule is because in my neighborhood there are only certain places we can walk. I refuse to walk my dogs in the back of the neighborhood because of a CRAZY (I mean mentally insane) Chihuahua that will chase you with all it's might if you come back there. And the owners do *nothing* and it has a Doxie, Pug, and Boxer buddy that join in on the chase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLacy View Post
we play ball up and down the stairs about 30 minutes a day or until she get's tired of it.
Just wanted to point out that this can be very dangerous. Running down the stairs FAST after a ball = less common sense and judgement to know how fast is too fast.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 10-08-2009, 09:45 AM
Wookie Collie

I walk Finn once almost every day, usually in the mornings for 20-30 mins. We don't go on super long walks or anything... walks don't do a whole lot for Finn. I like to take him because I like walks, he can smell new things and experience new situations/locations, but really, a half hour in the backyard playing vigorous fetch and 20-30 mins of training trumps a two hour walk in terms of wearing Finn out.

We also go to the dogpark a few times a week, which plays a huge role in a happy Finnegan. :P

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 10-08-2009, 10:12 AM
I'm All Ears

I think a lot of people for some reason think you walk a dog to wear them out physically, which for me isn't the case. I've never had a dog that a walk tires them out. I just think the more the dog sees of the world, the more they experience, then the better adjusted they tend to be. I try to live by it by bringing my dogs as many places as I can. Even if all we can do one day is a 30 minute walk, we do it. I wear Mia out physically with flirt pole and 'crazy fetch' (constant fetch practically with her kong- it's all done at zoomie pace)

Plus the other reason I walk is if I have a dog then I'm a lot more likely to walk myself, thus getting the both of us outside and getting me some exercise to boot. It's great motivation.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:36 AM
Don't encourage me..

Yes daily, come rain, hail, snow or shine...

We do at LEAST 3 miles every day, plus I have a big garden.. I like the walking as much as they do, it's good mulling things over time, a great way to "post mortamise" things as I call it..

The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Old 10-08-2009, 10:38 AM
We are Home.

Here its to dangerous to take them and Bev and even worse taking both kids and them. We do try to go to the beach quite a bit for a run though.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 10-08-2009, 10:40 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

My dogs run up cliffs...jump rock ridges..running full out. THis being alot more dangerous than stairs. I don't worry a bit they have been doing it for years and are as adapt as mountain goats. ANd if they did by accident have a fall..it would be sad, but would never cancel out the benefits of being free and living life to the fullest extent. Also makes them fit which makes them far less likely to injure themselves.

I was thinking a minute ago that I can't imagine NOT walking my dogs. For my own benefit, it helps my pain, gives me the vit d exposure and exercise the lyme doc wants me to have. It's a win win all the way around. You get your training done and out of the way, you have that team feeling i like so well, and everyone is healthier.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 10-08-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanL View Post
I walk mine irregularly. They get plenty of exercise and honestly, a 2 hour walk wouldn't do anything for Gunnar. Even Daisy can come back from a long walk and the 1st thing she does is pick up a ball and want to play. Bruzer can't keep up with the big dogs on walks so he usually doesn't go.
I know how you feel. When I go for 2 hours, they come home and the first thing they do is play chase.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:01 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

First thing I do is sit down...quickly!

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 10-10-2009, 10:48 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Not in the traditional sense. I could walk my dogs on the leash along the road for a good 24 hours and barely scratch the tip of their exercise needs. Now I almost always go back ways, where it's more rural (which I like better anyway) because of all the loose dogs. Lucy got attacked by a loose Samoyed and I had to throw rocks and hit it with a big stick. (Maybe some of you think that makes me a bad person, but I would do it again to protect my dogs.)
Millie's my service dog and goes everywhere with me, so she gets a lot of walking that way.
We also have a bit of acreage, so we run around there and play training games, etc. We go on hikes, play fetch and tug, etc. I LOVE walking hiking/walking with them, being alone with my dogs and the rest of nature.
So, no, I don't walk them on the road every day in a "traditional" walk, but yes, I give them different types of physical and mental rigorous exercise everyday, rain or shine, sick or not.