Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-06-2009, 02:10 PM
Active Pup

Default Moving - where to keep dogs at new house?

I have two, un-neutered male dogs (Pomeranian & Miniature Dachshund). In their current living situation, there is always someone to watch over them and let them outside. I will, unfortunately, be moving in with my parents in a not so friendly small dog household. They will mark (pee) inside if left unsupervised. The other issue here is that although my father is retired and usually at home, the last thing he wants to do is watch these two pups.

Training them to do otherwise or neutering them is not in the books right now. So, I'm looking at crating them while I'm away for work/school.

I will be gone for 6-8, possibly even 10 hours a day. The good part about that is I'd be home before 1 or 2 in the afternoon to let them out. Because of this, I've looked at possibly getting a large size crate and dividing it into two. That way they'll have plenty of room.

Advice? Are there any flaws in doing this? The pom is 7 1/2 and the Dach is 4 1/2 y/o.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:13 PM
<----Thanks Allie

Large crate sounds like the best idea to me, given the situation.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:16 PM
Top Dog

Neutering even though they are older will help also.

Can someone please kill this flea before it jumps on Lola
Old 10-06-2009, 02:19 PM
Yorkie Love

Will someone be letting them out during the day? 10 hours is a long time for a small dog to go without having a potty break. Will your dad or a dog walker be able to do this?

Also, why not try and train them not to mark or try neutering them?
Old 10-06-2009, 02:22 PM
<----Thanks Allie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoodleMommy View Post
Will someone be letting them out during the day? 10 hours is a long time for a small dog to go without having a potty break. Will your dad or a dog walker be able to do this?

Also, why not try and train them not to mark or try neutering them?
wait, I thought she'd be back for a mid day break(1-2pm).... so wouldn't the dogs go out 3 times? 1 in am, 1 in afternoon, 1 at night?

"litterbox" training may be a good idea for going potty too...
Old 10-06-2009, 02:30 PM
Yorkie Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpaeanx View Post
wait, I thought she'd be back for a mid day break(1-2pm).... so wouldn't the dogs go out 3 times? 1 in am, 1 in afternoon, 1 at night?

"litterbox" training may be a good idea for going potty too...
oh I didnt get that, oops... that would be enough then.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:30 PM
Active Pup

I'm not neutering them, and do to a busy schedule and the stress of a family issue, I do not have the time to devote to a steady training regime at this time.

Yes, they will be going out at around 430 in the morning, put into the crate until 12 to 2 pm and let out for the rest of the day while I'm home.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:50 PM
Silence! I ban you!

Do you mind my asking why neutering is not an option? If it's not, crating or having a dog sitter are going to pretty much be your only options. Haven't tried litter box training with a pup, so I'm no help there.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:52 PM
Yorkie Love

I guess I am confused as to why they cant get neutered.

they obviously are beyond the age where health would be a concern, they arent working dogs where drive is of any concern..
Old 10-06-2009, 02:55 PM
Active Pup

I may have the Dachshund neutered, but my pom is going to be 8y/o this December. I see no reason to put him through the stress of a medical procedure to have a 60% chance that he'll stop marking. The other reason I don't want him running around the house while I'm gone is because like most small dogs, he yaps... a lot. That wouldn't sit well with the dad.