Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-06-2009, 06:35 PM
Owned by 3 mutts

Default "Not treating dogs like children"

What does that mean??

I love the 3Ms like I would love my kids, and I think I'm treating them like one, too? I mean I provide for them, train/discipline them, comfort & protect them, tend to their needs, bathe them, feed them, play with them, etc.. everything I would have done to my kids.

But I'm pretty sure I've heard many of you say that while you love your dogs to death, you don't treat them like children, so I'm curious what exactly do you mean by that?

Thanks~Jessie~

I believe in the Sun, even when it's not shinning
I believe in Love, even when not feeling it

I believe in God, even when He's silent.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:38 PM
Top Dog

To me, it means respecting that they ARE dogs, and have needs that are different than humans. They need different levels and types of exercise, stimulation, and socialization. Dogs are dogs, not humans of any type.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:39 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

^^^^agree with above^^^^
Old 10-06-2009, 06:40 PM
We are Home.

same as above

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 10-06-2009, 06:40 PM
Resident fainting goat

The problem lies when people treat their dogs like SPOILED children lol in my opinion

dogs are dogs, people are people.. crossing those lines, no matter how much you love your dog, sometimes leads to problems. especially because the way you treat, raise, and discipline a child is NOT the same as how you raise a dog.

it has nothing to do with the amount of love but more how you interpret that love IMO
Old 10-06-2009, 06:44 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
To me, it means respecting that they ARE dogs, and have needs that are different than humans. They need different levels and types of exercise, stimulation, and socialization. Dogs are dogs, not humans of any type.
I couldn't have said it any better myself.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:55 PM
Top Dog

A child does not need to be taken outside to do his or her business.

A child cannot be left home alone where as a dog can and actually quite good for them. If your dog is at your side 24/7 then it can wind up with SA.

A child does not need to be taken to a groomer.

A child is not brought to the vet for shots against rabies etc.

Through out the dogs entire life we have to feed them. A child can get his own food when he is older.

We do not pick up children's poop on a daily basis but we do for our dogs for their lifetime.

You can't tell a child their whole life of when to sit or lay down where you can and do with a dog.

A child does not listen to his parents when they become a teenager, a dog still does.

A dog doesn't ask for money. Children always do.

A child can borrow a parents car when they are old enough but we chauffeur our dogs.

A child can eventually take his own bath, a dog never can and never will unless it is in mud. Then your hard pressed for your dog to not take a mud bath.

A child does not sniff another childs butt. Dogs are always sniffing another dog's butt.

So as you can see we really do not treat our dogs like children, we actually treat them better because our dogs have us trained to do so.

Can someone please kill this flea before it jumps on Lola
Old 10-06-2009, 07:37 PM
Water Junkie

In agreement with Boston's post, I think, also, when trying to make the right choice for a dog you have to realize that a dog is not a child. You would not rehome a child, but if might be the best for a dog. You would not put a child to sleep if it punchs/steals/acts aggressively with little hope of correcting the problem, but it might be the best for a dog.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 10-06-2009, 07:52 PM
Wookie Collie

I certainly to a degree treat Finnegan and the pets as my children, much like you mention, 3M. Especially since I don't really plan on children of my own, my pets get that doting attention that I would have given to a child. I dote very heavily on all of my pets.

However, that doting attention is given in the form of training, ear scritches, games of fetch/tug/chase, etc. The attention that Finnegan and my other pets receive is catered to their species-specific wants/needs and to their well-being. I want them to be happy by doing the things they are meant to do.

I think of the comment you're referring to and I think of people with purse puppies and crap like that. Dressing up your dog and taking it around like an accessory. Dogs are not meant for that.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 10-06-2009, 07:59 PM
Owned by 3 mutts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieMackie View Post
I certainly to a degree treat Finnegan and the pets as my children, much like you mention, 3M. Especially since I don't really plan on children of my own, my pets get that doting attention that I would have given to a child. I dote very heavily on all of my pets.

However, that doting attention is given in the form of training, ear scritches, games of fetch/tug/chase, etc. The attention that Finnegan and my other pets receive is catered to their species-specific wants/needs and to their well-being. I want them to be happy by doing the things they are meant to do.

I think of the comment you're referring to and I think of people with purse puppies and crap like that. Dressing up your dog and taking it around like an accessory. Dogs are not meant for that.
Now, this does make sense. Maybe they were referring to dressing the dogs up, carrying them in purses, etc..

Other than the fact that dogs don't talk back at you & don't cost as much money as a child, I think rasing a dog is just like raising a child!

Thanks guys. I am no longer confused with regards to this subject

Thanks~Jessie~

I believe in the Sun, even when it's not shinning
I believe in Love, even when not feeling it

I believe in God, even when He's silent.