Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-07-2009, 03:55 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by teedub View Post
And pit bulls are horrible people killers

An opinion is an opinion. It has been in my personal experience that larger dogs are easier to train to an extent. Most of the small dogs that I've had have always been extremely stubborn.

If you can honestly tell me that poms don't have a reputation as being noisy and that Dachshunds don't have a reputation for being stubborn, then I'll question your credibility in giving advice.
So its ok to say ALL pit bulls are horrible people killers, because its an opinion? You wouldn't last very long on this forum I'll tell you that

A reputation is just that, a reputation. Doesn't make it TRUE, and to assume that ALL dachshunds are diggers, stubborn, or whatever.

And just because dachshunds are hard to housetrain, didn't stop me from not giving it a try or to just give up and have a non-housetrained dog, because my mother would of not been ok with that and Princess would of been a goner.

Its been in my personal experience that labs are hyper, and in other's people experience that dalmatians are crazy, but doesn't mean their aren't calm labs and dalmatians out there...and I just wouldn't sum all labs and dalmatians from MY personal experience.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:59 PM
Silence! I ban you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicy View Post
So its ok to say ALL pit bulls are horrible people killers, because its an opinion? You wouldn't last very long on this forum I'll tell you that
Well, clearly either you meant that as tongue in cheek or you did not see the rolleyes emoticon. Clearly, teedub doesn't feel that Pit bulls are horrible people killers. She was poking fun at a stereotype.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:04 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieq View Post
Well, clearly either you meant that as tongue in cheek or you did not see the rolleyes emoticon. Clearly, teedub doesn't feel that Pit bulls are horrible people killers. She was poking fun at a stereotype.
I know, but the following statement was that an opinion was an opinion, and people can pull out the opinion card when it comes to making rash statements like those.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:07 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicy View Post
And just because dachshunds are hard to housetrain,
How DARE you give Dachsunds a bad name by claiming such an asinine, non-existent issue! (note that icon = sarcasm).

I never had problems housebreaking my dach. If you're claiming that marking is a housebreaking issue, I consider those two different games.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:13 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
How DARE you give Dachsunds a bad name by claiming such an asinine, non-existent issue! (note that icon = sarcasm).

I never had problems housebreaking my dach. If you're claiming that marking is a housebreaking issue, I consider those two different games.
Nope I wasn't claiming that. I wasn't making an example of YOUR marking problem, otherwise I would have said marking. I was giving an example of a breed trait, like you said dachshunds are suppose to be stubborn, and how that a breed-trait doesn't mean it isn't possible for dogs to not fall under the breed's trait.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:18 PM
Top Dog

Anywho have you consider belly bands as one member mentioned?

Old 10-07-2009, 05:36 PM
~Lisa~

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoodleMommy View Post
Im annoyed because this is the kind of owner that perpetuates the stereotype that causes people to not like small dogs.

The dogs have to be in a cage because, of her own account, they pee everywhere and yap all the time... there were no questions concerning how to train them not to exhibit these behaviors, she actually said she would NOT train them... and this is not a situation where something changes, she has had 7 1/2 years with one and 4 1/2 years with the other to work on these behaviors... to me that is irresponsible and I really can not believe that there are people here who would think that it is anything but.

I agree I call it irresponsible training as well. as there is obviouse lack of it since the OP even said they wont do it.
Quote:
They are the same. its a behaviour you train out. with lack of training you will have dogs who mark. period. I dont allow my dog to beg for food, so I trained him not too, I dont allow my dog to be a puller on leash, so I trained him not too. I certaintly didn want a dog who marks in a house, a store, a training facility, a grooming shop. So I trained him not too. He goes to to many indoor places where I would be embarssed by him marking on anything.

Yes all small dogs are hrd tot rain, potty train, bark and are agressive. Should have met our 2 wonderful poodles who were great dogs, with hardly any training. becuase we treated them as large dogs, not the 8lbs of dogs they were.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:45 PM
Active Pup

Haha, this place is great.

Begging for food and pulling on the leash is not a natural occurrence. Two intact male dogs sharing a house and marking after each other IS a natural occurrence.

Way to push what I said, too. No, they don't go mark on the toys in the pet store if I happen to bring them in there. No, they don't go pee on a strangers leg.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:49 PM
I'm All Ears

No, it's not a small dog thing but some dogs do have marking issues and they're not an easy fix. (Trust me, I know, Beau is a marker at times).

Get a belly band. When you can't keep an eye on them, they wear it. It will cause a lot of males to associate peeing inside with being uncomfortable because they don't like the feeling of being wet. You can buy belly bands at petsmart or you can even make them out of fabric and some velcro. That'll be a start at least. If they're going to be a nuisance to your father (I think that's who you said was home?) either crate or ex-pen with a top would be the way I'd go.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:56 PM
~Lisa~

Quote:
Haha, this place is great.

Begging for food and pulling on the leash is not a natural occurrence. Two intact male dogs sharing a house and marking after each other IS a natural occurrence.

This place is great

And still no having 2 intact males means nothing. I have lived with intact animals all my life. and we have never had this issue.

and offcourse pulling on a leash and begging for foodis a nautral occourence. As dogs can be scavengers (searching and begging for food) and wearing a leash is not a nautral occurence. so they want to flight when wearing one, not stay on one. and I would say 98% of people I see be a small or large dog walking is getting their arm yanked the whole walk.