Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 10-06-2009, 10:23 PM
PoodleMommy PoodleMommy is offline
Yorkie Love
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,443
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieq View Post
teedub, thanks for coming back. I hope you'll stick around and not be chased off. We're a tight community who are passionate about dogs and sometimes our filters fail us.

Good luck and let us know what you plan to do!
what i said WAS the filtered version.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 10-07-2009, 01:32 PM
teedub teedub is offline
Active Pup
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 18
Default

Who says they pee everywhere and yap "all the time"?

The Dachshund actually has few behavioural issues.

You put two uncut male dogs (especially small dogs) in the same household and they WILL mark. The Dach came into the household a mere 3 years ago with the pom thinking he's the dominant one in the house.

The pom has always been a yapper with many failed attempts to stop the behavior. I have NEVER met a pom that didn't yap.

I'm sooo sorry that I am not as good as a trainer as yourself and that I give small dogs a bad rep.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 10-07-2009, 01:53 PM
PoodleMommy PoodleMommy is offline
Yorkie Love
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,443
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by teedub View Post
Who says they pee everywhere and yap "all the time"?
you did...

Quote:
Originally Posted by teedub View Post
I They will mark (pee) inside if left unsupervised.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teedub View Post
The other reason I don't want him running around the house while I'm gone is because like most small dogs, he yaps... a lot.
Why dont you search the boards on ways to curb barking in the house and marking, or as someone suggested earlier put belly bands on them...
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 10-07-2009, 03:01 PM
lisabobisa's Avatar
lisabobisa lisabobisa is offline
Show Dog
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 247
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyWench View Post
as a 300lb woman who walks 2-3 miles a DAY (7 days a week) AND spends at least 2 hours, 5 days a week doing other forms of excersize,
who eats salad greens with no dressing and grilled skinless chiccken brest for lunch and dinner...i RESENT that all obese people are fat simply because they eat too much.

lolas dad, your frined was fat because he couldnt control his eating, YES...
but NEVER thing that all fat people down an entire large pizza and 2 liter bottle of cocke in 1 sitting...
infact if i even attempted to eat anything remotly close to some of my skinny frineds i'd explode!

belive me, if it was just a case of eat less and excersize more id could KILL myself trying (i was reacently reprimanded for doing too much) and mind over matter, id be stick thin with abs to die for and perfect preky boobies...

but its NOT cut and dry...
nor is it in the dogs.

the op does not feel the need to neuter right now...they have given you absolutly NO reason to belive they have ever bred the dogs, are BYBS or irresponsible owners as SOME have already simply assumed...
some people have life changes that require a schedual or routein to change...
in this case id definalty look into an expen. and yes you can get tops for them, petedge has the "shade" voers which work well...
Amen!


teedub, I'm sorry for how you've been treated by some folks here. Unfortunately, often times with online communities, if you say one wrong thing people jump down your throat. Whether you meant it how they took it or not. Nobody knows your situation better than you and all you can do is review the advice and do what you think is right.

What people don't seem to get is by being rude they're not getting their point across at all. Maybe they do have your dog's best intentions in mind but I think very few people will take advice when it's thrown at them like that. If you start off by calling someone irresponsible, you make them defensive. If you say "hey you could actually do this..." then most people are much more likely to listen.

Just my opinion of course.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 10-07-2009, 03:06 PM
PoodleMommy PoodleMommy is offline
Yorkie Love
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,443
Default

lisa.. my first post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoodleMommy View Post
Will someone be letting them out during the day? 10 hours is a long time for a small dog to go without having a potty break. Will your dad or a dog walker be able to do this?

Also, why not try and train them not to mark or try neutering them?
she said she cant or wont train them, I tried to give advice, others tried to give advice, she doesnt want it... I am not being rude, I am calling it as I see it.

I dont see the point in people coming to post here when they know what they are going to do anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 10-07-2009, 03:10 PM
Juicy's Avatar
Juicy Juicy is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,664
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by teedub View Post
Who says they pee everywhere and yap "all the time"?

The Dachshund actually has few behavioural issues.

You put two uncut male dogs (especially small dogs) in the same household and they WILL mark. The Dach came into the household a mere 3 years ago with the pom thinking he's the dominant one in the house.

The pom has always been a yapper with many failed attempts to stop the behavior. I have NEVER met a pom that didn't yap.

I'm sooo sorry that I am not as good as a trainer as yourself and that I give small dogs a bad rep.
BOLD #1: Do you have any research done on that male small dogs mark more than male large dogs?

BOLD #2: My dogs must be some sort of alien species, because they did not mark, even with multiple unfixed males in the house.

BOLD #3: Its CLEARLY my dogs are not getting the memo...........my old pom did not yap, **** I should of gotten in on tape, because it could of been a rare pom! .........is that really your only excuse???!

Not saying you're a better trainer than I, I had a rat terrier that was evil and yappy, and fit the small dog stereotypes, but not every dog fits these stereotypes, and by posing these beliefs, you're not helping much to the small dog community, when our dogs are constantly labeled as those 'ankle-biting, yappy, not even 'REAL' dogs'.

Its not a SMALL DOG THING, that your dog yaps, or marks, or whatever and that you get a free pass for saying your dogs bad behaviors are because they're small dogs, and thats what small dogs do.

Why feed into it? And then use it as an excuse when your dog isn't properly trained?
__________________


Last edited by Juicy; 10-07-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 10-07-2009, 03:17 PM
FoxyWench's Avatar
FoxyWench FoxyWench is offline
Salty Sea Dog
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 7,308
Default

The op did mention the boys mark when left unsupervised...
For heaves sake... Jasper marks when you leave certain items laying around...
Like it or not marking is natural behaviour...if you have dogs that don't...wonderfull for you...
It's very hard to correct a behavior that only occurs when your not home...

How many people crate their dogs for whatever reason when they can't be supervised...

There's alot of holier than thou going on lately from some members!
__________________

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 10-07-2009, 03:25 PM
Juicy's Avatar
Juicy Juicy is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,664
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyWench View Post
The op did mention the boys mark when left unsupervised...
For heaves sake... Jasper marks when you leave certain items laying around...
Like it or not marking is natural behaviour...if you have dogs that don't...wonderfull for you...
It's very hard to correct a behavior that only occurs when your not home...

How many people crate their dogs for whatever reason when they can't be supervised...

There's alot of holier than thou going on lately from some members!
I don't have a problem that the OP dogs mark, but the fact that she sums small dogs into being marking, yappy dogs. I rather not someone give small dogs bad reps, but hey thats just me
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 10-07-2009, 03:41 PM
teedub teedub is offline
Active Pup
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 18
Default

And pit bulls are horrible people killers

An opinion is an opinion. It has been in my personal experience that larger dogs are easier to train to an extent. Most of the small dogs that I've had have always been extremely stubborn.

If you can honestly tell me that poms don't have a reputation as being noisy and that Dachshunds don't have a reputation for being stubborn, then I'll question your credibility in giving advice.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 10-07-2009, 03:47 PM
lisabobisa's Avatar
lisabobisa lisabobisa is offline
Show Dog
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 247
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoodleMommy View Post
lisa.. my first post...



she said she cant or wont train them, I tried to give advice, others tried to give advice, she doesnt want it... I am not being rude, I am calling it as I see it.

I dont see the point in people coming to post here when they know what they are going to do anyway.
I wasn't singling you out and wasn't saying that you (or anyone) didn't ever try to help out. I'm just saying that the "calling it as you see it" probably isn't going to help and if anything will only hurt your point. If you don't think they're listening, then I simply wouldn't continue the conversation.

Yes the OP was probably pretty set on what they were going to do, I think their question was more about how to do it. Their point was to ask about different pens and I think the doggy daycare was also good advice if they have the funds. You're upset that they don't want training advice but they never said they did.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:27 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site