Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 10-06-2009, 06:40 PM
Tankstar's Avatar
Tankstar Tankstar is offline
~Lisa~
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto Area
Posts: 2,301
Default

I would get a ex pen. or lock them maybe in a bathro if possible? I dont personaly like the idea of any dog being locked up for 10 hours in a crate. which Im sure they would survive and be fine. But IMO I dont like it.


As for neutering. there is also lots of reasons why its healthy not to. neutering also increases other cancers.

Not that I condone irresponsible owners to have a intact male. but altering them now will do little if anything with marking. as its all int he trainin, which you lacked to do 8 years ago. my intact male has never and wont ever mark in my house. or any one else house, pet store, training facility ect. outside, its a free for all for him, I dont mind. I kinda like it, becuase if I need him to hurry up and pee. I can just walk him to some trees and he will go lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolas Dad View Post
I myself have lost 10 pounds in one week by just eating a salad for lunch and dinner. So if a person eats the right food they can lose the weight.
Very easy to say. but is it easily done? No. I know a lady who has major thyroid issues. She is VERY obeese. She eats so healthy. excersise's every day ect. yet cant seem to slim down the 150lbs she needs to loose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawzaddict View Post

Even people who have medical issues which cause obesity can stay fit. Mind over Matter people!

.
Mind over matter? are you kidding me. thats rude.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 10-06-2009, 06:47 PM
Laurelin's Avatar
Laurelin Laurelin is offline
I'm All Ears
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 29,964
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawzaddict View Post
I don't find that ignorant. Sorry you feel that way, if you do not like my comments then don't like them but DO NOT call me ignorant. Thanks

Dogs suffer from thyroid WHICH IS TREATED BY MEDS so the dog should not be obese. Ignorance is saying these dogs have a reason to remain obese because they have a problem. My dog has a thyroid and is NOT obese

I'm sorry it is ignorance to say it's simply mind over matter and if you eat right you'll be skinny.

All I'm saying is there may be a reason a dog or person is obese/overweight that you don't know about. Yes, there is medication for thyroid problems but it's sometimes hard to be diagnosed correctly when you have these problems. It's easy to say *if you don't have these problems*. However, there are people being misdiagnosed all over the place, going from doctor to doctor and being told they need to stop being 'fat and lazy' when there's actually a medical reason they can't lose weight.
__________________
Mia CGC - (5 year old Papillon)
Hank - (approx. 10 month old Spotty Dog)
Summer TG3 TIAD - (10 year old Papillon)
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 10-06-2009, 06:48 PM
pawzaddict's Avatar
pawzaddict pawzaddict is offline
Big Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 121
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankstar View Post
I would get a ex pen. or lock them maybe in a bathro if possible? I dont personaly like the idea of any dog being locked up for 10 hours in a crate. which Im sure they would survive and be fine. But IMO I dont like it.


As for neutering. there is also lots of reasons why its healthy not to. neutering also increases other cancers.

Not that I condone irresponsible owners to have a intact male. but altering them now will do little if anything with marking. as its all int he trainin, which you lacked to do 8 years ago. my intact male has never and wont ever mark in my house. or any one else house, pet store, training facility ect. outside, its a free for all for him, I dont mind. I kinda like it, becuase if I need him to hurry up and pee. I can just walk him to some trees and he will go lol


Very easy to say. but is it easily done? No. I know a lady who has major thyroid issues. She is VERY obeese. She eats so healthy. excersise's every day ect. yet cant seem to slim down the 150lbs she needs to loose.


Mind over matter? are you kidding me. thats rude.
Not my problem if you don't like my way of thinking, that was rude as well IMO, your comment...
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 10-06-2009, 06:48 PM
Fran101's Avatar
Fran101 Fran101 is offline
Resident fainting goat
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 12,509
Default

One the whole obesity issue. each person is different, to say its all about mind over matter is simply an offensive generalization. especially when things like thyroid problems, metabolism etc.. are involved

I've met overweight people who eat less and exercise more than I do.. I've also met people thinner than me who eat like piggies and don't exercise more than walking to their car lol its not as simple as people make it out to be. so many factors go into weight


now back to the topic at hand. Im not sure how old you are or if this is possible, but doggy day care programs are popping up everywhere, and for the younger dog, this may be a fun way for him to spend once a week or something
__________________

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 10-06-2009, 06:50 PM
pawzaddict's Avatar
pawzaddict pawzaddict is offline
Big Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 121
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I'm sorry it is ignorance to say it's simply mind over matter and if you eat right you'll be skinny.

All I'm saying is there may be a reason a dog or person is obese/overweight that you don't know about. Yes, there is medication for thyroid problems but it's sometimes hard to be diagnosed correctly when you have these problems. It's easy to say *if you don't have these problems*. However, there are people being misdiagnosed all over the place, going from doctor to doctor and being told they need to stop being 'fat and lazy' when there's actually a medical reason they can't lose weight.
I did not say those words...I said it in terms of people can control their obesity, dogs cannot, its up to the human to control the dogs obesity, geez get over it and move on.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 10-06-2009, 06:51 PM
elegy's Avatar
elegy elegy is offline
overdogged
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 7,709
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolas Dad View Post
So I am still not convinced that obesity in a dog is caused by spaying or neutering.
directly causes, no probably not. but definitely contributes. and increases the risk of hypothyroidism, which is also a big contributor to obesity in dogs.

for a lot of dogs it can be just as simple as appropriate exercise and appropriate portion sizes, but there are also extremely obese dogs with normal thyroid profiles who are eating ridiculously small portions and not losing weight, so it's not always that simple.

at any rate, the OP has said that she is not interesting in neutering her dogs, and whether i agree with that or not, it's her decision. in her shoes, i'd use a large crate or xpen and try to find some way of letting the dogs out mid-morning, especially if i was going to be gone until 2. is it ideal? no, probably not. but i also don't think it's particularly unreasonable.

puppy steve is crated 10 hours a day with a break in the middle and he's ok, and he's a one year old border collie, not an 8 year old pom.
__________________
ARCHX Luce CD CD-H RA RL3 RLV RL2X RL1X CGC TT
Steve RA RL1 CL1-R CL1-F ONYX
Bean FDCh-G
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 10-06-2009, 06:52 PM
Tankstar's Avatar
Tankstar Tankstar is offline
~Lisa~
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto Area
Posts: 2,301
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawzaddict View Post
I did not say those words...I said it in terms of people can control their obesity, dogs cannot, its up to the human to control the dogs obesity, geez get over it and move on.
And she is saying its easy for humans to get diagonesed. Im sure its just as hard, if not harder to diagnose a dog. They cant say whats going on. So how are you supposed to slim a dog down if there is a medical issue making the dog fat?

You can excersise all you want, feed a piece of food a day. thats not healthy either.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 10-06-2009, 06:52 PM
Grab's Avatar
Grab Grab is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 3,121
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawzaddict View Post

Dogs suffer from thyroid WHICH IS TREATED BY MEDS so the dog should not be obese. Ignorance is saying these dogs have a reason to remain obese because they have a problem. My dog has a thyroid and is NOT obese
The vet tech in me wants to point out that everyone has a thyroid (those who have had theirs removed excluded)..there are thyroid conditions that can cause weight loss or gain.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 10-06-2009, 07:08 PM
Laurelin's Avatar
Laurelin Laurelin is offline
I'm All Ears
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 29,964
Default

Quote:
directly causes, no probably not. but definitely contributes. and increases the risk of hypothyroidism, which is also a big contributor to obesity in dogs.

for a lot of dogs it can be just as simple as appropriate exercise and appropriate portion sizes, but there are also extremely obese dogs with normal thyroid profiles who are eating ridiculously small portions and not losing weight, so it's not always that simple.
Exactly. That's all I'm trying to say.

Anyways, X-pen would be how I'd do it if your two won't escape. A couple of mine can escape those.
__________________
Mia CGC - (5 year old Papillon)
Hank - (approx. 10 month old Spotty Dog)
Summer TG3 TIAD - (10 year old Papillon)
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 10-06-2009, 07:11 PM
Fran101's Avatar
Fran101 Fran101 is offline
Resident fainting goat
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 12,509
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Exactly. That's all I'm trying to say.

Anyways, X-pen would be how I'd do it if your two won't escape. A couple of mine can escape those.
no im worried lol I got an ex-pen for the puppy... hopefully hes not that big of a jumper lol
__________________

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:28 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site