Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-06-2009, 06:15 PM
I'm All Ears

Wow, perhaps you guys are fortunate enough to not have hormonal problems that can cause people to be over-weight. I know that there are a couple of people on this board though that do, including me.

I eat the same as my skinny friends- probably better. I exercise more and have seen a dietician in the past too. It's not that freaking simple.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:16 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpaeanx View Post
Obviously you've never known anyone with hormonal imbalance caused obesity. They could end up having to eat so little that they don't get enough nutrients thus causing other problems.

Now as with anything medical there are LOTS of factors to it. Like a breed with a generic predisposition for obesity(corgi) will be a lot worse for wear than a breed with a predisposition to be skinny(border collie/borzoi)
My generic predisposition for obseity SPAYED dachshund.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:21 PM
Big Dog

This is about a dog not humans, dogs don't become obese because of the same reasons humans do, dogs are not humans, dogs (IMO) are obese because of lack of exercise and nutrition and regulation.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:23 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawzaddict View Post
This is about a dog not humans, dogs don't become obese because of the same reasons humans do, dogs are not humans, dogs (IMO) are obese because of lack of exercise and nutrition and regulation.
Actually dogs can suffer from thyroid problems which cause obesity just like people do too.

Statements like these though, are imo ignorant:

Quote:
Even people who have medical issues which cause obesity can stay fit. Mind over Matter people!
Old 10-06-2009, 06:27 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Actually dogs can suffer from thyroid problems which cause obesity just like people do too.

Statements like these though, are imo ignorant:
I don't find that ignorant. Sorry you feel that way, if you do not like my comments then don't like them but DO NOT call me ignorant. Thanks

Dogs suffer from thyroid WHICH IS TREATED BY MEDS so the dog should not be obese. Ignorance is saying these dogs have a reason to remain obese because they have a problem. My dog has a thyroid and is NOT obese
Old 10-06-2009, 06:32 PM
<----Thanks Allie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawzaddict View Post
I don't find that ignorant. Sorry you feel that way, if you do not like my comments then don't like them but DO NOT call me ignorant. Thanks

Dogs suffer from thyroid WHICH IS TREATED BY MEDS so the dog should not be obese. Ignorance is saying these dogs have a reason to remain obese because they have a problem. My dog has a thyroid and is NOT obese
medical conditions are almost always NEVER clear cut. One med or multiple meds don't always work. I know people who take 5 meds for the same problem and then after a while those meds may not work anymore.

And lola, if u remember I said over eating IS a cause, but not the only one!
Old 10-06-2009, 06:33 PM
Resident fainting goat

I would suggest getting an (or 2) exercise pens

such as this:

and get a BIG litterbox and put newspaper inside for your dogs to go to the bathroom.

still come home and walk them and play with them for a bit to tire them out

Of course provide some kongs, balls, etc.. "busy toys"

I would suggest 2 exercise pens depending on how well these dogs get along. some dogs, can't stand being stuck together lol especially when one dog is older and the other is young

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:34 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fransheska101 View Post
I would suggest getting an (or 2) exercise pens

such as this:

and get a BIG litterbox and put newspaper inside for your dogs to go to the bathroom.

still come home and walk them and play with them for a bit to tire them out

Of course provide some kongs, balls, etc.. "busy toys"

I would suggest 2 exercise pens depending on how well these dogs get along. some dogs, can't stand being stuck together lol especially when one dog is older and the other is young
I always forget about the x-pens! This is a great idea too if they are older and have never been crated.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:39 PM
Top Dog

If they are marking for marking's sake, and not needing to eliminate, a litterpan won't help. It's fine for having to go to the bathroom (if they'll use it..not all dogs get the puppy pad thing if they aren't trained to it), if they aren't taught to hold it, but if they want to mark, they're just going to mark anyway. It would be contained though, rather on furniture, etc.

I will note that if you're going to take marking dogs to your parents' home, it would be considerate to at least devote some time to training them.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:39 PM
Top Dog

Back to dogs . My males were never neutered except one who was at 13 for cancer ( he lived to be 17 ) ....I Never had problems with marking ! Those who mark is due to potty training .( or a traumatic move ) This is a huge chance for your dogs !!! If your dogs are used to being together , I'd rather see them together in a huge kennel /// maybe with a poo area . I feel guilty if I have to kennel Ollie for 4 hours !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/