Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 10-07-2009, 12:08 AM
Duuuuude.

Default Help choosing a breed?

I'm not looking for another dog yet, but I like doing my research. :D Right now I have a 13 year old poodle mix and a 3 year old Brittany (both neutered males.) My roommate has a 1 year old cattle dog mix, a spayed female. I know for sure that I won't be getting another dog while Lucky, my poodle mix, is still around.

- My next dog will probably need to be small or medium, no more than 50-60 lbs, because I live in an apartment with weight restrictions. If a heavier breed is a perfect match, though, I can always wait until I live elsewhere. I don't really want a tiny dog, though. 20 lbs+ is ideal.

- I don't really care about coat type. I'm willing to deal with a high maintenance coat. I'm not at all bothered by shedding. I work at a dog daycare - I end up covered in fur head to toe anyway, and as a result so does all my stuff!

- I'm interested in dog sports, flyball and agility in particular. I'd like to do both with the dog. A biddable dog is a must! I admire the more independent breeds... from afar. I don't think they're for me personally.

- I like affectionate dogs, to a point. "Devoted" might be a better word. I want a dog that will at least tolerate petting and snuggling, but not a dog that is too demanding. Labs, for example... again, I like them, but most of the labs I've met have been way too pushy, right in your face all the time, licklicklick, for my taste! Rowan, my Brittany, is exactly what I'm looking for here. He's my shadow, always by my side, and asks for attention quietly by putting his head in my lap. If I tell him to go away, though, he'll go away and curl up somewhere nearby. He loves to snuggle but knows what "no" means. I like affectionate dogs - on my terms. :P

- High energy dogs are okay, but there needs to be an "off" button. The dog can go to work with me (5 days/week, 3-4 hrs each day) and we'll hit the dog park at least once a week. I'm a lazy person, though. I'm not going to be running with the dog or anything. I'm more about mental stimulation. I like putting together puzzles and challenges for a dog to figure out.

- I live in a city with BSL, so no bully breeds for me.

- I have a good amount of dog experience. I grew up with dogs and have worked at dog daycares for 2 years with a variety of breeds and temperaments. Even so, I don't feel ready for a super challenging breed. I want a dog that works with me more than against me. I do have a sense of humor, though.., I wouldn't expect robotic obedience from any dog!

I have a few breeds in mind already, including Papillons (despite their size), collies (smooth or rough, preference toward smooth), Cardigan Welsh Corgis, standard poodles, Eurasiers and to some extent Australian shepherds, although I think they're probably too much dog for me. I love BMDs and Danes, too, but of course they're over the weight limit.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:22 AM
Twin 2.0

If you're fine with a Brittany, you'd probably be fine with an Aussie. The better bred ones have a fabulous off-switch anyway and tend to meet the rest of your requirements.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:24 AM
I'm All Ears

My first thought was sheltie, honestly, but a pap would work too if you don't mind the size. Paps are my favorite breed and awesome little dogs. They have big personalities to make up for their small size lol.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:51 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paviche View Post
...- I like affectionate dogs, to a point. "Devoted" might be a better word. I want a dog that will at least tolerate petting and snuggling, but not a dog that is too demanding. Labs, for example... again, I like them, but most of the labs I've met have been way too pushy, right in your face all the time, licklicklick, for my taste! Rowan, my Brittany, is exactly what I'm looking for here. He's my shadow, always by my side, and asks for attention quietly by putting his head in my lap. If I tell him to go away, though, he'll go away and curl up somewhere nearby. He loves to snuggle but knows what "no" means. I like affectionate dogs - on my terms. :P...
LOL You just described Caleb. His parents are the same way. But, I'll admit, Labs like that are few and far between. Then again, training has a lot to do with it, too.

How about another Brittany? We have a few friends with them, and they all seem to have the same persoanlity as yours (our friends all have more then one).
Old 10-07-2009, 07:13 PM
Duuuuude.

I've definitely considered getting another Brittany, but Rowan is very mellow compared to the other Brits I've met. There's a Brittany at work that is constantly in motion, on the go ALL the time, just full of energy. Rowan is tireless if I ask him to be, but he settles down easily on his own. The Brittany at work outplays most of the Aussies/Aussie mixes, even! The few Brits I've met at shows have been the same way, lots of nervous energy.

I suspect that Rowan (a rescue dog) is field-bred. A friend of mine hunts and knows a lot about hunting dogs and has told me that he's built like a purely field Brittany, bigger and a bit stockier than the show-types. The man who raised the litter that her field-bred English setter was from bred field Brits and she's compared Rowan to his dogs a few times. Now, I've always thought that field-types were more energetic and intense than show-type, bug I also don't know much about field Brits. I'd be interested in meeting more to compare them to the Brits I've met at shows.

I've looked into Shelties a bit, but the tendency to be barky puts me off, since I'm in an apartment. They sound like a good match otherwise but that makes me leery. Of course, I've read that Aussies and collies can be loud, too...

Huh, maybe I've met a bunch of poorly bred and/or poorly trained labs. I'm certainly not counting them out entirely. :)

Speaking of Aussies... I'm at work and and Aussie (or Aussie mix, not really sure) just jumped onto the bench next to me, curled up and fell asleep with her head in my lap. Can I just take her home? Haha, jk. :D (Sort of...!)

(By the way, Zoom, love the Dr. Horrible quote in your sig! "The thoroughbred of sin?" "I mean... uh... Gandhi.")

Last edited by Paviche; 10-07-2009 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something
Old 10-07-2009, 07:16 PM
Yorkie Love

Before getting to the bottom of your post I was going to recommend a Standard Poodle, lol... I see its on your list already.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:25 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paviche View Post
...Huh, maybe I've met a bunch of poorly bred and/or poorly trained labs. I'm certainly not counting them out entirely. :)...
Very likely, as there are a lot of poorly bred and poorly trained Labs out there. Labs are the #1 AKC registered breed for a reason- they have a wonderful temperment, among other things. But people are jumping on that bandwagon and either trying to make a buck or want one because they are the #1 breed.