Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 10-07-2009, 09:30 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
our ferrets in the USA come from british pet stock but even some of these have all the tools of a good hunting ferret and could survive just fine on lizards, rodents & small birds.
Lizards, POSSIBLY. They wouldn't be able to catch a small bird. It would be gone by the time a ferret even realizes its there. A chicken, no. A chicken can kill a small rodent such as a mouse, so they would get the ferret.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:57 AM
Top Dog

I've been wondering about the possible CA law to ban all exotic animals and reptiles .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 10-07-2009, 10:21 PM
Top Dog

dobesgalore
you aren't really familiar w/ ferrets are you. the ones in the pet shop are babies. a grown ferret is 3-4X bigger than weasels that regularly kill adult chickens. in fact they are about the size of small housecats. a grown hob w/ good hunting instincts would ravage the average chicken. also as a predator they are naturally more active at night when ground & shrub roosting birds are most vulnerable. ferals in britain regularly take small birds and make occasional forays into coops & lofts after hens & pigeons.
while most wouldn't do well here because our rabbits don't warren, some do have all the tools they need to survive long enough to procreate if given the chance. don't let the clowning antics fool you.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:30 PM
Top Dog

I'm not really familiar with ferrets but have to agree with Pops...

They could probably catch quail at night if nothing else.

They are certainly phyiscally capable of killing a chicken... it's commonplace for the smaller weasel to kill chickens and even great big 10 lb New Zealand rabbits.

I don't know whether the average ferret over here has the instincts or "balls" to kill something that much larger than it, but there certainly are ferrets that do, and it stands to reason there would be some over here with those instincts.

Just like show dogs and working dogs... show dogs are for the most part wrecked for work but every so often you get one that will.

ETA lol and that analogy has already be used...
Old 10-07-2009, 11:45 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
dobesgalore
you aren't really familiar w/ ferrets are you. the ones in the pet shop are babies. a grown ferret is 3-4X bigger than weasels that regularly kill adult chickens. in fact they are about the size of small housecats. a grown hob w/ good hunting instincts would ravage the average chicken. also as a predator they are naturally more active at night when ground & shrub roosting birds are most vulnerable. ferals in britain regularly take small birds and make occasional forays into coops & lofts after hens & pigeons.
while most wouldn't do well here because our rabbits don't warren, some do have all the tools they need to survive long enough to procreate if given the chance. don't let the clowning antics fool you.
Our old ferret was huge, but a giant wuss. He used to let the house mice come in his cage and eat his kibble.

Surely there are a few out there, but not enough to warrant a ban on ferrets as a danger to anybody's livestock or wildlife.

The other big thing about ferrets is 90% of the ferrets sold in the pet trade are already altered. I think the breeding of them is regulated by the USDA, like with hedgehogs.

We did have a pair of euro mink come in and ravage the chicken coop, lost 17 hens in one night. It was devastating. They tried to get into the pullet coop next, but we had old Lefty in there. He was the biggest best araucana roo ever. He lost his wing to a coyote years before. Anyway, he piled drived one mink to death with his stub (that's how he beat the crap out of the other roosters too) and when we caught the second mink it had a broken jaw, probably Lefty's work as well. I wish he had been in the hen house that night. Those mink were the nastiest orneriest foulest things ever. The second one we caught in our house, trying to get into the brooder with chicks, so we caught it in a laundry basket as it tried to attack us. I won't post what happened to it after that.....
Old 10-07-2009, 11:54 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
I won't post what happened to it after that.....
KA BANG!!!!!!

Sorry to hear about your chickens. Your rooster sounds prettttyy freakin awesome

Are minks smelly?
Old 10-08-2009, 12:52 AM
Navy Sister

Ferrets, mink, and weasels all look the same to me...
Old 10-08-2009, 01:21 AM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra View Post
KA BANG!!!!!!

Sorry to hear about your chickens. Your rooster sounds prettttyy freakin awesome

Are minks smelly?
Lefty was awesome. He was a slow maturer, so when his wing got bitten off he made it to the vet instead of the soup pot because we thought he was a pullet. lol. He more than made up for it with how well he took care of the flock though. He always kept one eye on the sky, and if a hawk or eagle started circling he would sound the alarm and for any birds dumb enough to ignore him he'd go kick the crap out of them until they ran under something. That included the geese and peacocks. We never lost any birds to hawks while he was alive.

Mink do smell. Pretty bad. When we trapped the one, it sprayed like a skunk and smelled like one too. And when we opened up the pullet pen to see what damage was done in there, it was skunk reek again. They probably sprayed a bunch while fighting Lefty.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:28 AM
Very Food Agressive

Well, this thread as gotten rather interesting.

Thanks for the threadjack guys (seriously), I'm getting way more entertainment out of your conversation than my question!

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:12 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
dobesgalore
I have two ferrets. Both are rather small. I have seen some good size ones, but not the size of a housecat. We also don't have any wild ones around here.