Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 10-05-2009, 04:20 PM
Very Food Agressive

If you read the first line of my post, I tell you I don't know. It was probably something mentioned in Chat honestly.

Here's one I did find that touches it though: AKC Eukanuba Signature Dog Show in Long Beach, CA Despite Breeding Ban!

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:21 PM
Water Junkie

Oh okay. Sorry missed that.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 10-05-2009, 04:22 PM
:( only one :(

Might have been something mentioned for the State of California a few years ago, don't know if it was limited to years. But I do think they were trying to pass something similar.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:23 PM
Very Food Agressive

Yeah apparently Long Beach had a Breeding ban, so specific cities have already tried this.

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:24 PM
Water Junkie

Does anyone know how it ended? Is it still in place?

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 10-05-2009, 04:27 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmo View Post
Cali, why is it illegal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpaeanx View Post
Cali is weird about "exotics" if it's not native, but can live in the wild there, it's illegal.

Like sugar gliders are illegal there...
Yeah, the logic is that if ferrets get loose, they'll thrive in the climate/environment and will totally throw off the natural ecosystem. Gerbils are illegal too. I'd never seen a gerbil until this past year.

It actually makes a lot of sense, to me. There have been a few non-native plants and animals that have just taken over the area (eucalyptus trees, and snails, for example)

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 10-05-2009, 05:08 PM
Twin 2.0

I've heard this bandied about by some of the ARistas, saying stuff like "Oh, if the REPUTABLE breeders wouldn't mind!" to which I hurt myself rolling my eyes so hard. This shows just how much they don't know about responsible breeding.

A 5 year old bitch is fine to have a litter, but seeing as how they have to be at least 2 to have all their tests done and such...you're looking at dogs that would be upwards of 8 years old, which is NOT a good idea for most breeds.

Who needs sleep?

CrazyDog Photography CrazyDog on Facebook
Scent Sweet Home--Scentsy Wickless Candles Follow me!-Fall/Winter 2013 catalogs available!
Have Aussie, Will Travel--A Blog updated 5/26/12

Thanks Alliemackie!
Old 10-05-2009, 05:53 PM
overdogged

it's never going to happen. puppymillers (er, i mean usda licensed breeders) have too much power and too much clout and it would never get through legislation on any large scale. it might happen here and there on a small scale, but i do not believe it could happen as a country. or even as a state.

i can see all kinds of ridiculous restrictions that favor "licensed breeders" being imposed (goes hand in hand with mandatory spay/neuter but those never apply to commercial breeders). that could be very bad news for small hobby breeders, those who most of us here would look to as responsible breeders. it would be a very scary time for a lot of breeds.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 10-05-2009, 07:25 PM
Top Dog

That is so stupid!!! I hate the idea of bans (any type). It only makes people do things the wrong way. And only the good/decent people follow laws, the bad guys just break them.

And do they honestly think everyone is gonna run off to the shelters and adopt any/every dog out there?!
Old 10-05-2009, 07:47 PM
Top Dog

If I were a breeder and a law like that was passed...
unless the consequence was going to jail for 10 years or killing the dogs...

I'd just ignore it.

If you live in a decently secluded area and have good neighbours...
If you didn't advertise your pups, and only sold to people through word of mouth (which one could argue breeders should be doing anyways)...

Well, if it's like every other animal law (and many many non-animal laws), they probably wouldn't find out.

A good breeder does right by the breed, not necessarily the government. Being a good person doesn't correspond with being a lawful person. It can but it doesn't have to. In my opinion. Obviously many disagree. That's OK. Most of us don't even share the same country lol.

But honestly what has the country come to if you can't breed your own dog???Ridiculous to me. I mean that is getting into 1984 crap.