Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 10-05-2009, 04:52 PM
Very Food Agressive

Default What if: Breeding Ban

I'm not sure where this was mentioned, be it chat, a thread or maybe in my own wanderings of the internet. Anyways, I read somewhere that the US was considering putting a 5 year ban on breeding which means revoking all breeding/kennel licenses I guess? This would also, I'm simulating in my head, mean no more registration for puppies with any kennel club since it would be against to law to have said puppies.

So my question is this: what would that do to breeding? Obviously the stray dogs are still going to reproduce unless they are ALL caught and speutered. But what about reputable breeders that are willing to follow this law? Would you freeze sperm of male dogs in their prime for later AI? That is plausible but what about the bitches? Are all breeds still alright to have puppies at age 5 or more?

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:56 PM
Water Junkie

Are you serious? People are INSANE. This 'law' is ridiculous.

Huge pet peeve for me. *steams*

On the original question, yes, I would assume sperm would be frozen. Bitches, well, if the bitch is 5 when the the ban would come into effect, I wouldn't breed at 10 YO. Breeding at 5 isn't bad at all, IMHO.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 10-05-2009, 04:59 PM
:( only one :(

It would never work. The only ones who would follow the rules are the good breeders, leaving a mess of byb and puppy mills doing it illegally. Then we end up with 5 years of poorly bred dogs, with no good breed to represent their standard.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:00 PM
<----Thanks Allie

I'd move to canada....

Seriously though, I doubt that will pass.... but I know a lot of breeders that have "partners" with other kennels... I can easily see them sending a dog to canada, and registering with their kennel club, then breeding there...

Then you can probably register the pups with the AKC from their CKC registration...
Old 10-05-2009, 05:02 PM
Top Dog

What would it do to breeding? Not a lot.

The "oops" puppies would still exist, the byb puppies who aren't properly vetted or registered and are just sold would still exist, pregnant dogs would still be dumped at shelters...

A handful of people would stop breeding. The only good thing I could see is that pet stores probably wouldn't have puppies for sale anymore--since it'd be really easy to fine and/or shut down a store.

It's illegal to have ferrets in California. People still have them. They just don't take them to the vet. (Or they find a vet who is known by ferret people to not report them).

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 10-05-2009, 05:03 PM
Water Junkie

Cali, why is it illegal?

It would most certainly do alot to breeding. You would virtually have no reputable breeders breeding litters.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 10-05-2009, 05:04 PM
<----Thanks Allie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmo View Post
Cali, why is it illegal?
Cali is weird about "exotics" if it's not native, but can live in the wild there, it's illegal.

Like sugar gliders are illegal there...
Old 10-05-2009, 05:06 PM
<----Thanks Allie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
A handful of people would stop breeding. The only good thing I could see is that pet stores probably wouldn't have puppies for sale anymore--since it'd be really easy to fine and/or shut down a store.
well, it's illegal to breed for 5 years, not sell. They'd probably actually get away with selling the puppies...
Old 10-05-2009, 05:16 PM
Very Food Agressive

Now I didn't say this was going to happen, just something I'd heard and wondered what the ramifications would be.

Do you think they'd try harder to shut down puppy mills? Or would it just become more of a black market type thing? What about socializing a pup if it's technically illegal? Would a pup seen my an officer be pts? These are all things I'm wondering about as far as how they could possibly ever enact a breeding ban.

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:19 PM
Water Junkie

Where did you hear it? If you have a link I would like to read it.

Like Xpaeanx pointed out, breeding and selling are two different things. While breeding might stop, selling wouldn't.

l ~Jennifer~ l