Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-04-2009, 02:47 PM
I'm All Ears

Mine sorta do sometimes. They don't get down to killing the toy immediately, but many toys do die here lol. Stuffies are really the only ones and they die during tug of war. Beau has destuffed lots of Beanie Babies. So far Mia just likes to pull eyes (and sometimes ears) off her toys.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:04 PM
Top Dog

When Ollie's cousins are here and a tug of war causes " fluff " , it's fair game . None of my dogs destroyed their " friends " on purpose . When I got Ollie I was warned that he was very possessive about his toys , so I always would put up his " pride " when others came . He'll share nicely now .... even bones .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 10-04-2009, 03:53 PM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkie View Post
Heaven forbid you expect them to learn from their play.
Um wow thats kinda rude. I was with you until this. So my dogs who learn self control (as in ONLY play with designated toys, ignore all things not in dog basket etc) are not as good as your dogs who like to play non destructo games?

The whippets didn't take much (a month or so) to learn to play nice with toys. A few of the JRTs ONLY want to play destructo games. There is no gentle play. Poor Kaiden, I would hand him the toy and then take it back immediately. Thats all how he wanted to play.

And you are basically implying he is a 'bad dog' or I am a 'bad trainer' because he naturally wanted to destroy stuffies.

I feel bad I killed his desire to play with all toys by trying to change how he INNATELY wanted to play. I chose to let Dekka destroy stuffed toys, vs kill her fun. I don't worry about swallowed bits etc. And the min or two it takes to clean up the fluff is worth it to see the pure pleasure in her eyes as she disembowels her 'prey'.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:57 PM
I'm All Ears

I have never known a JRT that doesn't play by destroying the toys. Riata's version of play is to kill the toy. She's figured out how to destroy many supposedly 'indestructible toys'. I think it's fun to watch her play; she clearly enjoys herself and her toys while they last.

ETA: With my own dogs, they learn what is acceptable to play with. They can play however they want with their designated toys. I buy those toys for them and their enjoyment. If they want to kill it then so be it.... I'll learn to buy cheaper toys, lol.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:10 PM
Just try me..

Yes many JRTs I know like to play kill the toy lol. And training those to not kill the toy is kinda like trying to train a whippet to prefer walking over running. (I am sure there are some out there that don't live to run) If you don't like the innate traits of a breed then don't live with one.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:15 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkie View Post
Heaven forbid you expect them to learn from their play.
Oh good grief.

What's the definition of a dog doing a "bad behavior"? It's a behavior that you don't like. If you don't like a dog tearing up toys, teach him not to do it. If you are ok with a dog tearing up toys, then let him do it. If he swallows the toy, manage the situation so that he doesn't do it. Do what works for you and your dog, and who cares about anybody else.

My dog has just spent the last 10 minutes shredding up a cardboard box to get her dinner out. Some people think it's cruel to make her work for her food. Some people think it's cruel to give her something she might accidently swallow. Some people think it's a terrible inconvenience to have to pick up all the cardboard pieces. But the thing is.... I am not one of those people! It works for us..... if someone else wanted to do it too, great; if not, fine, who cares?
Old 10-04-2009, 05:42 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

I am not implying anything other than it is not torture. I use whatever they want as a carrot on a stick to get the results i want. I could set a bag of treats on my desk as well as a toy and i would not let him bark himself silly for them. Nor would i let him jump up and get them. I use play as a reward for good behavior because that is how he learns. I thought it a bit rude to think that is torturing a dog. I use a fast walk as a reward for a good down stay..same thing. IT is just taking advantage of one more teaching opportunity. I have heard hunters claim that stuffies would make their bird dogs hardmouthed but I haven't seen any of that in mine either.

I also disagree that teaching them not to tear up their toys has anything to do with their prey drive. Certainly hasn't stopped Pepper or VIctor either in their mania to hunt. Pepper is as lethal as she ever was. It just means that I say not to chew up their toys and they learn not to chew up their toys. IT doens't stop them from playing with them. It certainly doesn't stop them from playing with them with each other. IT just means they learn not to rip the fabric which allows them to have toys that can do more which they enjoy more. I wont' go into it again about the dangers of swallowing stuffing, fabric of squeekers. Also means that when they go into other people's homes and play with their dogs and their dogs toys they don't destroy them there either which happens around here on a regular basis.

I don't see the point in giving them a toy and be throwing it out in 15 minutes. Inside of the house i don't see encouraging them to tear anything up as a good idea.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 10-04-2009, 05:56 PM
Just try me..

I don't think anyone said it had anything to do with prey drive (at least no where that I read)

So if you dont' see the point, don't do it.

I would rather clean up occasionally than have a dog that won't play. To me thats sad, to you it might make sense.

Its not a big deal, if I don't want a toy destroyed, I just label it 'mine' and its pretty safe. My dogs don't swallow what they shred, so its no worry.

edited to add:

since you seem to know all about getting a dog to enjoy how to play with out destroying....

Here is what I did...

You give dog toy
dog IMMEDIATELY goes to destroy
You take toy away
Repeat
add it bouts of trying to get dog to play 'with' the toy with me.. (see second line)
Dog decides toys are not for playing with as they are no fun.

I tried a little with Dekka, but if she can't place her paws firmly on the toy and rip away, she just won't interact with it. (unless its playing tug, but then she just wants to take it and shred it lol)

What would you have done differently?
Old 10-04-2009, 06:03 PM
Yorkie Love

Do not put words in my mouth... I said to MY dog it would be torture to see one of their toys and not be able to play with it...Dekka explained that she has taught her dogs to ignore things that are out of reach... so obviously to her dogs this wouldnt be an issue... if your dogs are the same way, great.

Your the one who keeps saying that if dogs destroy their toys they dont have a good life yet dont explain how that is.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:05 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

That's good for you. THere are dogs that do and then the owners have very expensive surgeries. I have a close friend that just told me about her friend who just went through this. Besides since when does what i do with my dogs ever mean others have to do it with theirs? I am stating an opinion that i feel it is better to teach them not to. People can agree or disagree. It can be dangerous and that is an issue that needs to be considered. I also didn't say they didn't have a good life..who is putting words in now? I said it is not necessary and that they are smart enough to learn. ANd if they learn a bit of control in this area it can help aid control in other areas.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,