Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-04-2009, 08:10 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Victor shredded everything right off the bat when he came, but he learned. He learned not to jump insanely, nor sling his body about, nor race wildly in the house without looking where he was going. I would pick up the stuffing and say uhoh..this is a NO and put it on top of the fridge..just a little bit where he could still see where it was. He learned not to bark insanely at it as well. THen i would take it down...shove the stuffing back in and sew up the rips. I would have him where i could see him and he could rip it fast but the same thing would happen. He was probably the hardest one ever i have worked with but he learned and then got to have fun interactive toys.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 10-04-2009, 08:13 AM
Show Dog

Yes, all stuffies must be killed here. Stuffing is evil evil evil. Once the stuffing is gone, the toy is way more fun apparently. I don't buy expensive stuffies and watch for the moment the squeeker is extractable. We've got a whole bunch of stuffie skins around here that still get played with all the time. I've only personally known one dog who loved on her stuffie. "Baby Puppy" is still intact (though NASTY despite many washings) after 12 years.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:15 AM
:( only one :(

We have stuffies here that are almost as old as our dogs, they love them but don't like the shred them up, they just love tossing it, and making it squeak and play fetch. Boomer did de-fuzz one not long ago, his first one. He worked so hard to get to that squeak. lol
Old 10-04-2009, 08:21 AM
treehugging clicker freak

Nope! Maddie has her favorites and carries them around all the time, even to bed. She rarely pulls eyes off, but never unstuffs.
Tucker will pull the green stuff off of tennis balls, but they don't distroy anything other than that.

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 10-04-2009, 09:59 AM
Proud Schnoodle Mama

Stella likes to remove the eyes first.....then she tears a hole in the toy to find the squeaker. Some she destroys right away...others....she lets live for a few weeks. She does love her her Orbee-tuff artichoke. It's bouncy and she runs all over the house with it.

My luck in finding a good sturdy stuffed toy...has not been so good.

http://stellalind.wordpress.com/
Old 10-04-2009, 10:05 AM
We are Home.

Scirocco wont play with toys or play period. Walker LOVES destuffed toys the only ones that survive are the Hartz ducks that make real duck noises.

Anything else is a shell that he LOVES>

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 10-04-2009, 10:07 AM
Yorkie Love

yes, I buy toys in bulk online and try not to buy anything too expensive because everything is pretty much destroyed the same day or in a matter of a few days.

Same thing as Dekka said, I can tell the dogs enough, or take them away but if they are going to play with them, this is how they play... now having two its worse because they like to play tug of war with each other which usually results in toys split in two.

If you have a dog that is really rough on toys, there is no issue with "allowing it or not allowing it", toys will be destroyed. I do not see the point in taking toys away from them because that is a major source of mental stimulation and FUN for them.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:55 AM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skKi View Post
No way, I wouldn't allow it. They sometimes like to perform surgery on them (Pit likes to remove the eyes from all the stuffed animals), but every toy bought is still intact today.
Malcolm too must remove all hard eyeballs. It's kind of gruesome, but that's the only destruction here ...

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Old 10-04-2009, 11:22 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoodleMommy View Post
I do not see the point in taking toys away from them because that is a major source of mental stimulation and FUN for them.
Same here. Bailey *loves* destuffing toys. He still plays with his destuffed stuffies, but he of course likes the new guys the best.

He doesn't care as much about rubber toys or other indestructible (or harder-to-destruct) toys. He even prefers catch and fetch with stuffies (which works fine as I am a terrible thrower anyway!).

I don't buy the expensive ones, but I should place an order at PetEdge.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:55 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

The point is that they learn appropriate play with their toys. Mine play a gentle tug of war. They toss them up in the air. THe carry them around, horde them (pepper) in secret hideaways. THey tease each other with them and have all kinds of antics as they steal them away from each other. They have favorites that are favorites for years. Sometimes through 2 generations of dogs as in our Little Bear. They don't swallow the stuffing, eyes, noses, or fabric and have intestinal problems.

YOu take it away but you also give it back as many times as it takes for them to get the message that destuffing is not ok. IT's just a matter of not letting them play with it when your not watching them until the lesson is learned. After that you can rotate and it's like getting new toys all over again.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,